Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I posted the other day about suddenly, inexplicably clearing up so much in the last few weeks that I was TOO clear to get my Accutane prescription when I went to my derm earlier this week, despite her suggesting it only a few weeks before.

I've been looking back on what I did differntly that could possibly account for my dramatic improvement. The thing is, I've been doing and continue to do so much for my acne that it's too difficult to isolate any one variable in my ongoing regimen as the crucial factor in my exceptional improvement of late. I eat mostyl fruits and vegetables, drink loads of water with fresh lemon squeezes, green tea, lots of tuna, salmon and brown rice, take a multivitamin plus more of a,b,c,e, zinc, selenium, chromium, acidophilus, saw palmetto and 6 a day of DermaCleanse from http://zenmed.com (only the capsules, 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, not the topicals); I've been doing nightly face steaming then egg/lemon mask, and using emu oil as moisturizer in the daytime and in bed at night. Following this regimen I've been improving steadily in the last 1-2 months, but it's been the last 2 weeks that my acne has improved EXPONENTIALLY. Either it's an incremental, cumulative benefit from my absurdly thorough regimen, the results of which increase exponentially after a certain period, perhaps before levelling out, or it's one particular thing that is showing most of the effect.

Looking back, the one thing I can think of doing in the last few weeks that I didn't before is this: out of curiosity when I was grocery shopping, I saw all these huge bottles of Prune Juice sitting on the refrigerated beverages shelf. I'd passed by a number of times and always wondered, "Who the HELL drinks PRUNE Juice?" However, being the curious and open-minded fellow I am, I really wanted to see what it tastes like. So I bought a bottle and found that I really liked it, and so did my flatmate. So over the last 2-3 weeks I've been drinking 2-3 glasses of Prune Juice every day, adding up to about half a liter to a whole liter a day.

I'm not sure if this may have been the deciding factor, the so-called "tipping point," between my somewhat clearing skin and my presently CLEAR skin, but I think this might really be worth investigating.

There's nothing to lose and regardless of its effect on acne it's supposed to be very nutritious and it is quite tasty. But it would be great if some of us tried it, drinking 2-3 glasses a day of Prune Juice, to see if it really helps with acne. As with anything diet-related for acne it takes at least 1-2 weeks to begin seeing an effect, but I have a feeling it will show visible improvement within the first week. I'm not making any promises, but I feel that something like this is worth looking into.

The product I buy here in Dublin is Sunsweet Prune Juice, made by Sunsweet Juice based in the UK. It is 100% juice with no added sugar, additives, colors or preservatives.

It's about 4 euro for a 1 liter bottle. While in theory this converts to just over 5 USD you have to bear in mind that the cost of food to say nothing of the cost of living in general is especially high in Ireland and the UK, in addition to which remotely healthier foodstuffs cost more in a culture where so few consume them (those in the UK who go to Marks & Spencer for organic food will know what I'm talking about). So if you live in North America this stuff will be much cheaper.

I drink 3 glasses of 200ml each a day, so in a week that's 4-5 bottles of prune juice, which puts me out 16-20 euro per week, which is the monetary equivalent of the 3-4 pints of Guinness I'd be drinking each week instead if I wasn't so full of prune juice!

I think twocanyan may have identified the main reason for its benefit on acne, as one the main factors in acne is the channels of elimination, i.e. digestive/intestinal tract, urinary tract, respiratory system and of course excreting toxins through the skin, i.e. sweating and sebaceous glands (a theorized connection with improperly metabolized carbohydrates and especially blood glucose, hence some describing acne as "diabetes of the skin"). But more on topic, the benefits of prune juice in sweeping out the digestive tract may be crucial to its effect on acne. Plus just one 200ml glass (of the 3 you drink a day) is equivalent to one of the 5 a day portions of vegetables and fruits nutritionists are always yapping on about., i.e. loads of antioxidants. But the top to bottom enema effect of prune juice may be the secret.

The product I buy here in Dublin is Sunsweet Prune Juice, made by Sunsweet Juice based in the UK. It is 100% juice with no added sugar, additives, colors or preservatives.

It's about 4 euro for a 1 liter bottle. While in theory this converts to just over 5 USD you have to bear in mind that the cost of food to say nothing of the cost of living in general is especially high in Ireland and the UK, in addition to which remotely healthier foodstuffs cost more in a culture where so few consume them (those in the UK who go to Marks & Spencer for organic food will know what I'm talking about). So if you live in North America this stuff will be much cheaper.

I drink 3 glasses of 200ml each a day, so in a week that's 4-5 bottles of prune juice, which puts me out 16-20 euro per week, which is the monetary equivalent of the 3-4 pints of Guinness I'd be drinking each week instead if I wasn't so full of prune juice!

I think twocanyan may have identified the main reason for its benefit on acne, as one the main factors in acne is the channels of elimination, i.e. digestive/intestinal tract, urinary tract, respiratory system and of course excreting toxins through the skin, i.e. sweating and sebaceous glands (a theorized connection with improperly metabolized carbohydrates and especially blood glucose, hence some describing acne as "diabetes of the skin"). But more on topic, the benefits of prune juice in sweeping out the digestive tract may be crucial to its effect on acne. Plus just one 200ml glass (of the 3 you drink a day) is equivalent to one of the 5 a day portions of vegetables and fruits nutritionists are always yapping on about., i.e. loads of antioxidants. But the top to bottom enema effect of prune juice may be the secret.

I eat about 5 prunes once a day to increase my bowel movements. Sometimes I feel a need to go to the toilet in 10-15 minutes after eating the prunes.

so one cup of prune juice is equal to one serving of fruit? i've heard about this... i read somewhere that even if you eat the healthiest foods in the world, if you are not expelling them as well, you will not be healthy. you'll have this buildup in your system that turns toxic... putrifying waste that just continues to circulate in your body, and the longer it's there, the worse it is. it will eventually come out through your skin too. did you know that alot of people suffer from constipation, and if you don't have at least one bowel movement a day (depending on how much you eat) you can still have up to 8 meals worth of waste in your body? I too believe this is the key.

Guest Anubis
so one cup of prune juice is equal to one serving of fruit?  i've heard about this... i read somewhere that even if you eat the healthiest foods in the world, if you are not expelling them as well, you will not be healthy. you'll have this buildup in your system that turns toxic... putrifying waste that just continues to circulate in your body, and the longer it's there, the worse it is.  it will eventually come out through your skin too.  did you know that alot of people suffer from constipation, and if you don't have at least one bowel movement a day (depending on how much you eat) you can still have up to 8 meals worth of waste in your body?  I too believe this is the key.

I think that efficient elimination is crucial for clear skin.

My brother got breakouts and went to a naturopath. She found out that he only had 1 bowel movement every day, sometimes only 1 every 2 days. Apparently we are supposed to have at least 2 bowel movements every day if we are healthy. She gave him a list of foods to eat every day -- 3-4 apples, fistful of apricots, prunes, oatmeal, etc. -- to ensure that he got the "magic" balance of 30-35 grams of fiber every day. It seems like this really improved his elimination because after a week or two his skin was already clearing. Didn't "cure" his acne but it REALLY helped a LOT. When it comes to acne we are all individuals and certain factors play their roles in our acne to varying degrees, but I think that in most if not all acne sufferers we would benefit at least somewhat by more efficient elimination of wastes.

That's probably why the prune juice is so effective, it's like an enema from the top to the bottom of your digestive tract, but instead of just flushing out your system it gives you lots of antioxidants and vitamins at the same time.

I really hope some of us are willing to try the Prune Juice regimen of 2-3 glasses a day for at least a week or two to see if it helps. Please post and update your progress if you see any.

Oh yeah, and unfortunately while like Guinness it is a murky swampy black concoction, unlike Guinness it won't make the toothless obese barmaid look like Reese Witherspoon.

This thread sounds a lot like the one on eating a box of raisins a day,

similar effects if you know what I mean. Hope it isn't a april fools joke...

This thread sounds a lot like the one on eating a box of raisins a day,

similar effects if you know what I mean.  Hope it isn't a april fools joke...

Guest Anubis
it won't make the toothless obese barmaid look like Reese Witherspoon.

It probably is beneficial for the same reasons as the raisins-- high fiber sweeping through the digestive track, freeing up the intestines for more efficient elimination so your body then doesn't have to turn to alternative channels of elimination-- like the body's single biggest organ-- the skin.

I thought I'd compare the fiber content of raisins and prune juice (I also went out and bought raisins after reading the thread). I think that eating anything that helps us reach a daily dietary fiber total intake of 30-35g is going to improve acne, so long as it isn't unhealthy and inflammatory. Raisins and prune juice are both healthy.

I looked at the nutritional info and goes like this:

100g RAISINS -- DIETARY FIBER 2.0g

200ml (1 SERVING/GLASS) PRUNE JUICE -- DIETARY FIBER 2.6g

I have 3 glasses of Prune Juice a day, so that's 7.8g of fiber right there.

I also have 2 or 3 heaping handfuls of raisins, so that's about 3g fiber.

I throw in 2 heaping handfuls (100g) of brazil nuts, and that's almost 5g fiber

(plus brazil nuts are very, very rich in zinc, which is awesome for acne).

I also have 2-3 apples a day, a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, a couple of slices of bread throughout the day, and when you add it all up together I'm pretty confident I've had at least 30g of fiber, which is the ideal amount for optimum efficiency of elimination through the digestive tract. Oh yeah, and green tea is REALLY good for acne as well, in so many ways.

I got some of the Sunsweet juice yesterday and it's actually damn nice, if a little disturbing in colour. Your diet is very similar to mine, Antony, yet somehow I always seem to feel a little lethargic. I plan to purchase a multivitamin in the next few days to see if that will help.

I used to wonder why I felt so "floaty" like light-headed even though I was eating so healthily. I think that sometimes in our fear of sugar as acne-sufferers we can suffer from too low blood glucose, and so need to take in natural sugars from fruits and vegetables throughout the day, instead of just giving ourselves short little bursts of sugar 3 or 4 times a day, perpetuating the vicious insulin cycle that traps so many of those who subsist on sugary packaged and processed foods (where they get "up" with a sugary cereal in the morning and then crash back "down" in the early afternoon so get another fix before crashing done before a sugary dinner and so on.) I think that a reasonable, stabilized blood sugar level is important. I also found that regulating my sleep helps, though I've always leaned towards insomnia so this was a great act of will. EFAs, drinking 1 tablespoon The Total EFA (see my program linked below) REALLY helped my energy levels, metabolism, overal focus and sense of self, of being in my skin as it were, but what I found most got me out of a constant vague sort of lethargy was liver flushing the first time, then again 2 weeks later, then once every 1-2 months, with a 2 week on/off cycling of liver cleansing and building herbs, which today I accomplish with DermaCleanse 2 weeks on, then 2 weeks just milk thistle and artichoke, then 2 weeks back on DermaCleanse, and so on.

But then again, if you've seen my program you've seen all the other madness to my method!

Antony help me understand. Why would prune juice be so far superior to say the fruit smoothie you said would break someone out on the other post? I mean, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and a banana would give a huge surge in fiber as well. We don't eat a lot of bananas but a frozen banana smoothie in the warmer weather is awesome. Especially full of other berries.

Would it be good, if one is going to consume this smoothie, to do so with added fats or proteins?

Just trying to learn here.

Jack LaLanne was a pimply kid. Even at age 89, he STILL touts the value of exercise and nutrition to anyone who will listen. But it wasn't always this way.

"As a kid," says LaLanne, "I was a sugarholic. I was a junk food junkie! It made me weak and it made me mean. It made me sick. I had boils, pimples, and I was nearsighted. Little girls used to beat me up!" But one lecture from a nutritionist changed all that. Jack's foray into fitness led him not only to a fabulous physique, but fame as the host of "The Jack LaLanne Show," which ran for a record 34 years on television.

Now, he was eating bananas and whole grains. I have an email into him asking specifics.

This post is just another derivative of the major principles of eleiminating acne. You dont have to drink Prune juice just make sure you get 30-35 grams fibre per day. I use HFS FI PRo FLAX which would work just as well if not better.

This post is just another derivative of the major principles of eleiminating acne. You dont have to drink Prune juice just make sure you get 30-35 grams fibre per day. I use HFS FI PRo FLAX which would work just as well if not better.

taking in additional fiber might be easier for people who can't stand the taste of prune juice.

this would be me. holy crap prune juice tastes disgusting and i feel compelled to stress this. i bought some today after reading this thread - and mind you, i do like the taste of regular prunes. however, the juice is another thing altogether. so bad in fact i'm wondering if it's possible to buy it rancid? it was a little dusty from sitting on the shelf awhile.

but regardless, i'm finishing every drop because it cost me five bucks. eusa_sick.gif

I'll have to agree with most people, prune juice tastes disgusting.

But I sort of see a difference in my skin when drinking it. It also makes me feel more energetic, I don't know why .. :)