Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antony

Derms Prescribing Accutane For MILD acne

Every so often we know or hear about someone with literally no acne beyond the occasional pair of whiteheads who takes Accutane, and what I'm wondering about isn't so much the fact that they take Accutane for it as the fact that they GET Accutane.

Who are these mysterious derms who are prescribing Accutane for sixteen-year-old girls with one spot just so they can be perfect for the prom photo, when most severe cystic acne sufferers have to go through 2 or 3 courses of antibiotics and even then STILL might not get Accutane.

What's going on?

Welcome to the Real World. JK!

I know.. Derms these days... and girls these days... (No NO just the type of girl that's mentioned in your post)

Life's never fair...

family doctors are usually more lenient to prescribing accutane for mild acne. she prescribed my ex gf tane and i guess u have to go on a oral contraceptive when ur on it, but since they were close, she didnt have to go on it (which sucked ass for me)

If you're willing to deal with the side effects, you should be given access to the drug. Many people are exceptionally self consoice about their faces, likely moreso for girls. I know I can easily deal with 2-3 spots, as im used to much more, but for my roomate he flips when he gets like one. For people who have legitimate medical need though they should try one course of conventional therapy than just demand to go on accutane or leave... derms are businessmen too and get payed for every visit, so most will prescribe it to you if it comes to that

If you're willing to deal with the side effects, you should be given access to the drug. Many people are exceptionally self consoice about their faces, likely moreso for girls. I know I can easily deal with 2-3 spots, as im used to much more, but for my roomate he flips when he gets like one. For people who have legitimate medical need though they should try one course of conventional therapy than just demand to go on accutane or leave... derms are businessmen too and get payed for every visit, so most will prescribe it to you if it comes to that

i think most derms follow a protocol when you see them.. doesn;t matter how many things you have tried before that Derm.. he has to give you the same list before he will give you tane.. this is to prevent people from saying they have tried everything.. even though they have not.. this is why it is very rare.. that you will get Tane with the first visit to a new Derm

My friends derm gave her Accutane on the first visit without even asking her about her acne history.

I agree with some other people, though, about if you are educated about the risks and side effects and you still want to go on, then you should. The doc is still going to get money out of you because from what I understand, you still have to go back every month.

I really want to go on Accutane, but I'm afraid that I won't be a god candidate.

Please don't think I'm hating here, but I'd love to know how this girl got accutane:

The doc is notorious for prescribing Accutane!

I don't know. But like I said, I'm afraid that mine won't put me on it. This will be my first derm visit for acne. I'm nervous!!

So family doctors CAN prescribe accutane right ? My family doc prescribed me minocycline for 5-6 months and it didnt work so if i go see him again he CAN prescribe me it? (I live in in canada i dont know if this changes anything)

So family doctors CAN prescribe accutane right ? My family doc prescribed me minocycline for 5-6 months and it didnt work so if i go see him again he CAN prescribe me it? (I live in in canada i dont know if this changes anything)

i agree...that's just 3 too many drugs.  i'm surprised she's even still using Tazorac which is a strong topical vitamin A.

well, whatever works....(shrug)

Yea I just read that taking accutane and antibotics together is not a good idea cause it can cause pressure on the brain.  She's so pretty, it would be a pity to have her brain explode! eusa_think.gif

Of course everybody deserves LOVE .  She's only 16 and wants beautiful skin.  What upsets me is the fact that the Derm would prescribe Accutane for what looks like very mild acne.  I could be wrong she could have it badly on chest and back.  And then puts her on all the other stuff too.  As a parent of 3 teenagers I don't think I could allow that.  It just seems like it is alot for the system to deal with at such a young age.