Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fireh0t

fear of initial breakout is killing me

hey guys i have just started taking roaccutane (20mg x 2 times a day) and on my 3rd day .I havent really felt any side affect so far besides a little pain in my joints. The biggest fear thats on my mind 24-7 is the gruesome enevitable ïnitial breakout". Reading though the post I figured out almost all the roaccutane users had worst break out of their lives.

So is there any chance I could avoid this misery and still be clear. I know the rule is "NO PAIN NO GAIN" but still this worst breakout thingy scares the hell out of me. Please advice. Cheers

I havent taken accutane- but retin-a micro gave me a horrendous breakout. Im surprised I made it through it. But- I can honestly say when you are in it, you can do 1 of 2 things.

1- deal with it, its gonna be about as bad as your worst breakout ever... Some people say its not THAT much more noticeable than what was currently on their face. For me, I just dealt with it- I had to go some places, I had to be at work...I just dealt, ya know? 10 cysts on my chin, and a ton of smaller cysts FILLED my cheeks...and I had never,ever broken out on my cheeks before. I tried not to look at it, and I tried to ignore it.

OR-

2-Try to convince your dr to give you a script for prednisone (only if you get cysts), or an antibiotic not within the tetracycline family to use along with the accutane at first, to help calm the initial breakout. Its pretty rare that theyll do this, I think they like seeing the actual patient response without help from steroids or anti's but- a nice dr will do it for you.

I can also tell you that you may not break out at all. You might be lucky and clear from day 1...Maybe not, Maybe so- Give accutane a chance, be lucky and grateful to be on it- and try to feel better about it. Dont stress, and get enough sleep and drink lots of water.

hey guys i have just started taking roaccutane (20mg x 2 times a day) and on my 3rd day .I havent really felt any side affect so far besides a little pain in my joints. The biggest fear thats on my mind 24-7 is the gruesome enevitable ïnitial breakout". Reading though the post I figured out almost all the roaccutane users had worst break out of their lives.

So is there any chance I could avoid this misery and still be clear. I know the rule is "NO PAIN NO GAIN" but still this worst breakout thingy scares the hell out of me.  Please advice. Cheers

I agree that if your acne is cystic, the best thing in the world for a bad initial breakout is a prescription to prednisone. The problem here is that some doctors refuse to prescribe it because oral steroids can actually cause acne - - more like whiteheads as opposed to cysts. The other solutions are injections of cortisone and a prescription to an antibiotic such as Erythromycin to kill the bacteria. I’ve done all and had the best luck with a twenty-day prescription of prednisone at varying doses.

So is there any chance I could avoid this misery and still be clear. I know the rule is "NO PAIN NO GAIN" but still this worst breakout thingy scares the hell out of me.  Please advice. Cheers

I think I will just let it be and wait for acne to invade my skin and finally accutane rescuing me completely smile.gif

fireh0t- hey hun- thats the spirit! Initial breakouts suck, but obviously we all made it through. You will, too! You might not get it at all, and thats just Ideal- but not practical.

So, all I can say is- Expect a breakout and if it DOESNT come, well then- you can celebrate. If it does come, then its just what you expected and itll pass.

Good luck with your treatment, I wish you the best~

Thanks everyone (FrankieBGirl,zeroFantasy, cowboychris, Arpazia) for your support and encouragement I badly needed it neutral.gif

THIS IS WORSE THAN I REMEMBER FROM MY FIRST AND SECOND COURSES OF ACCUTANE. YES, ON MY THIRD AND HOPEFULLY FINAL COURSE. OH BOY, THIS INITIAL BREAKOUT IS HORRIBLE. I'M IN MY FOURTH WEEK, 22ND DAY TO BE EXACT. PLEASE LORD LET THIS BE OVER IN A COUPLE WEEKS. FEELS LIKE A HUNDRED PINS GOING THROUGH MY SKIN. MAKES ME WANT TO TAKE A BELT SANDER TO MY FACE. THANKS FOR LISTENING.

THIS IS WORSE THAN I REMEMBER FROM MY FIRST AND SECOND COURSES OF ACCUTANE. YES, ON MY THIRD AND HOPEFULLY FINAL COURSE. OH BOY, THIS INITIAL BREAKOUT IS HORRIBLE. I'M IN MY FOURTH WEEK, 22ND DAY TO BE EXACT. PLEASE LORD LET THIS BE OVER IN A COUPLE WEEKS. FEELS LIKE A HUNDRED PINS GOING THROUGH MY SKIN. MAKES ME WANT TO TAKE A BELT SANDER TO MY FACE. THANKS FOR LISTENING.

I agree that if your acne is cystic, the best thing in the world for a bad initial breakout is a prescription to prednisone.  The problem here is that some doctors refuse to prescribe it because oral steroids can actually cause acne - - more like whiteheads as opposed to cysts.  The other solutions are injections of cortisone and a prescription to an antibiotic such as Erythromycin to kill the bacteria.  I’ve done all and had the best luck with a twenty-day prescription of prednisone at varying doses.

When i first took accutane (nearly 4 years ago), I had no initial breakout and started clearing quite quickly from day 1! so it can easily be that way. I didnt take anything like an antibiotic either to help.

I will be starting another course next week so really really hope the saem thing happens. But my acne is at its worse now and geting worse and i have one of those wierd feelings i will have a horrific initial breakout sad.gif

the fear is a killer!

i ve been on roaccutane for 4 months now its looking better but not completly gone its just left me with scaring light pink marks

I went to my derm today to ask about this Prednisone thingy to counter initial breakouts. He said this is a very strong steriod and cant risk my liver any more PLUS this will only aggrevate acne nothing else. The good thing is he was extreamly confident I wont have any "worst" breakout. Infact he said I might clear up completely by end of this month. what do u guys thing? is he making up things himself just to take this breakout thing out of mind for a while? or does he really mean it?

i'm 3 and a half weeks in and no initial outbreak for me so far (knock on wood!!!). i was terrified, just like you, but luckily my skin has only improved thus far. remember to drink a lot of water!!! i think this has prevented me from having any side effects  cool.gif

well thats what I am not doing. not alot of water and i have been drinking over the weekend. I am on day 6 everything seems to be going fine . i hope it only improves. wats ur daily dose?

ITS BEEN SO LONG...BEST I CAN REMEMBER THE FIRST COURSE BROUGHT ME AT LEAST 3 YRS. THE SECOND COURSE QUITE A BIT LONGER 5-7YRS.

ITS BEEN SO LONG...BEST I CAN REMEMBER THE FIRST COURSE BROUGHT ME AT LEAST 3 YRS. THE SECOND COURSE QUITE A BIT LONGER 5-7YRS.

sad.gif hi guys i am 5 week into first roaccutane(i'm in uk!) course and my skin was amazing up until now but since sunday ive had a total breakout big rel lumps have been so upset considering how well i thought it was working! am hoping that this is jus all the shit coming out and this can only get better from now on going back to derm next wk who is a total tit but armed with a list of questions-not going to be fobbed off! good luck this makes me feel better-i am not alone! xx