Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steven Hung

Dermabrasion with Dr. Y

Kipster,

Does the lemon juice really help to keep the oil production down? I have severe oil skin around the nose area. You wouldn't believe how often I have to wipe my nose off with Clean&Clear oil-absorbing sheets!! every 2 minutes. Other areas of my face are fine. That is why I got so much acne and scar on my nose. None of the products (from over-counter or dermatologists) can help me with this problem.

Thanks for your reply. I just cut up a lemon. I am only using 1/2 today since it's already evening. I rubbed it on my face, it burns like crazy but only for 2 minutes or so. I can handle this. I can't stand the smell of vinegar on my face (I used vinegar before when reading about it from other threads)

I have one more question. How bad was your oil problem pre-dermabrasion? 'Cause mine is really, really severe. If this works for me, it will work for everyone with troubled oil skin.

Thanks for your reply. I just cut up a lemon. I am only using 1/2 today since it's already evening. I rubbed it on my face, it burns like crazy but only for 2 minutes or so. I can handle this. I can't stand the smell of vinegar on my face (I used vinegar before when reading about it from other threads)

I have one more question. How bad was your oil problem pre-dermabrasion? 'Cause mine is really, really severe. If this works for me, it will work for everyone with troubled oil skin.

Kipster, don't forget to update us on the flaxseed oil. Right now, I am just focusing on the lemon and water things, also the C&C oil absorbing sheets (I can't live w/out this thing, I have to use at least 2 packs per month). I am tired of other regimes that ppl are following, too many products, confusing me.

I am using the amino-plex I bought last year. It is supposed to help blood circulation. When I apply it the face gets a lot redder temporarily.

My daily morning routine starts with riding my bike trainer for about 20 minutes before I leave for work. When I get home in the evening I work out with light free weights for toning before dinner. After dinner I walk my dog for about 2 1/2 miles. I am almost back to my old daily routine before dermabrasion with the exception that I avoid the sun.

My face is still red and it doesn't bother me too much now. I am not too self conscious about it. Since this past Wednesday I have stopped using the Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream after I finished the 3 oz squeeze tube. But I still wash my face with the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. At night I use the Neova Copper Peptide Cream before going to bed. In the morning after applying the Neutrogena SPF 45 Sun block I use the Neova Therapy Dual Action Lotion with Retinal A. It seems to be slowly down the Milia. Some of Milia are seem to be retreating. It could also be the work of the Minocycline that I have been taking every night.

Sword

What moisturizing cream are you using? I noticed that when I was using the Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream my face seem to be oilier. After switching from the Cetaphil to the Copper Peptide creams my face isn’t oily any more.

Hey Steven,

When I go to work I don't use any moisturizer, just sunscreen as my face is pretty oily already. When I get home, I wash my face, and apply Amino Plex (hopefully as a booster for healing and fading of redness), then some cetaphil / NaPCA spray. Before I go to bed, I repeat, and use Tri Luma to touch up the hyperpigmented area on the cheeks.

Today I attempted to make my face blend better with the neck by mixing MAC concealer (brownish NC35) and your Neutragena SPF 45 sunscreen. All it did was attracting even more unwanted attention and laughs. Fuck.

I don't really mind the pink face if it blended with my yellow neck. Currently, this is my biggest confidence crusher. I'm thinking, instead of applying make up to the face, which makes it very unnatural looking, I would make my neck less tan yellow / more pink. Any idea how to do that??

Steven, I still have your sunshade, haven't mailed it out yet. These recent episodes of embarassments makes it difficult for me to go anywhere crowded.

Sword eusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gif

Don't worry about it. I have a silly girly hat that I could use. The makeup that I brought and the one that Kwi gave me are sitting on the bathroom shelf collecting dust. I still refuse to wear makeup out in public. Yeah I am a closet case girly man and no matter what I won’t come out looking girlish.

Today I went out to Uno for lunch with two of the girls that I work with. I was just a wee bit self conscious. The ultimate test would be at my friend’s banquet on May 21st. After work tonight I am going for a hair cut at my regular saloon. Wish me luck!!!

Steven,

You are not a girly man, instead you are the bravest guy I ever know. (But I think girly men can be brave men too!!) While you are venturing everywhere, I am still hiding at home.

I think the news of my face is spreading quick from work to my local ethnic community. This is getting out of hand ...

Good luck, like Kipster says, keep you head up!!

Sword

Hey Steven,

I don't really mind the pink face if it blended with my yellow neck.  Currently, this is my biggest confidence crusher.  I'm thinking, instead of applying make up to the face, which makes it very unnatural looking, I would make my neck less tan yellow / more pink.  Any idea how to do that??

Steven, I still have your sunshade, haven't mailed it out yet.  These recent episodes of embarassments makes it difficult for me to go anywhere crowded.

Sword  eusa_wall.gif  eusa_wall.gif  eusa_wall.gif  eusa_wall.gif  eusa_wall.gif

It is not that bad without the makeup. Yesterday after work I got my hair cut at my regular hair saloon. Initially it caused a stir and that was expected. This morning I had a dental appointment with the dental hygienist at 9 o'clock. She didn't say anything but I suspect she knows about dermabrasion. After my dental appointment I went to HSBC to close out an unused account. I didn't get any more stares or comment than usual. Maybe I have gotten use to people gawking at me and whsipering quietly.

If people in your community know about your face why even try to hide it. It just gives them more fuel to gossip. My neighbor gossip about me all the time. In my community it is uncommon for a single Chinese male to live in a house all by himself. Most of my Chinese neighbor has 5 to 6 people crammed into the house. I used to hear them mutter under their breathe when I take out my ZX6R with a full racing Muzzy exhaust system. They will probably gossip even more after I pickup my M in mid July.

Steven,

You are not a girly man, instead you are the bravest guy I ever know.  (But I think girly men can be brave men too!!) While you are venturing everywhere, I am still hiding at home.

I think the news of my face is spreading quick from work to my local ethnic community.  This is getting out of hand ...

Good luck, like Kipster says, keep you head up!!

Sword

Hi pepsis,

Thanks for suggesting the use of FX. Are you asian too?

I finally accepted that all these struggles to look normal while I heal is futile, they actually make things much worse. I won't look normal until I heal, period.

The last few months had been very tough, so tough that I was near broken every other day and have to self-repair at night. Half the hardship was caused by others, the other half from just looking at my neck in the mirror.

My biggest mistake was diving into it without considering how my world can be turned upside down during this painfully long healing period. There is no space or time to heal, only a very busy and judgemental world to confront everyday.

There is no turning back now. I appreciate the tremendous support from you guys and gals, but only I can save myself. I must forgive myself and move on. Dignity is pride and self-respect, it comes from within and not from others, red face or demarcation line or not.

Steven, sorry for taking up space in your thread but I am sure you don't mind biggrin.gif

Sword

Hi pepsis,

Thanks for suggesting the use of FX.  Are you asian too?

I finally accepted that all these struggles to look normal while I heal is futile, they actually make things much worse.  I won't look normal until I heal, period.

The last few months had been very tough, so tough that I was near broken every other day and have to self-repair at night.  Half the hardship was caused by others, the other half  from just looking at my neck in the mirror.

My biggest mistake was diving into it without considering how my world can be turned upside down during this painfully long healing period.  There is no space or time to heal, only a very busy and judgemental world to confront everyday.

There is no turning back now.  I appreciate the tremendous support from you guys and gals, but only I can save myself.  I must forgive myself and move on.  Dignity is pride and self-respect, it comes from within and not from others, red face or demarcation line or not.

Steven, sorry for taking up space in your thread but I am sure you don't mind biggrin.gif

Sword

It's going to heal and people won't even remember it when you get your normal skin tone back. So lighten up... biggrin.gif

I am trying but my face is still red. That is why I am Hell Boy witout the tail, the stone hand and the super human abilities. Cuban cigars anyone???

lol "lighten up" - nice biggrin.gif

Hi Stephen, remember me? I was the asian girl you saw who had the dermabrasion in November w/ Dr. Y. It has been 6 mths and I am just now confident enough not too worry about my redness and demarcation lines around the jaw, so it takes some time but people mostly thougth it was a sunburn. It is all worth it in the end. I had milia too when I was healing and ended up getting a small icepick scar from one of them on my cheek but overall all my big noticeable ones are gone forever!!!

It's almost 6 months post-op. One can still tell the difference with a distant inspection. The recovery road is long and challenging. As for the scar improvement, it does little to make it disappear even for very shallow one. However, it smooths out the sharp edges of bad scars.

Sword,

is your improvement still around 15%?

Sunblock,

what's your accessment on improvement?

Hey dolmal,

Glad to hear your skin is getter closer to normal. It has only been 13 weeks less 2 days for me, so far my 15% - 30% is still holding up.

15% - 20% for forehead, nose, cheek, by that I mean either the diameter of the scars is lessened, or the edges have been smoothened, or both.

30% below cheeks, skin in the area also tighened.

But healing sucks eusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gif I hope I won't be thrown to an asylum before I fully heal.

So far most from the class of Nov have made good progress in terms of healing, I hope I can report the same in 4 to 8 weeks.

Sword

Hi Amnesiac,

Yes I am happy with my results but I think with one more I'll be happier and give this whole scar revision thing a rest.  I had pretty severe scarring on my temples, moderate on my cheeks and jawline.  All rolling scars, and have had them since I was 18. I'm 32 now.

Are you still on the fence about going through with it?  I realize it's big decision but you've been on here a long time and I would think by now you have all the research / info you need  to go through with it or not.

Hey dolmal,

Glad to hear your skin is getter closer to normal.  It has only been 13 weeks less 2 days for me, so far my 15% - 30% is still holding up.

15% - 20% for forehead, nose, cheek, but that I mean either the diameter of the scars is lessened, or the edges have been smoothened, or both.

30% below cheeks, skin in the area also tighened.

But healing sucks  eusa_wall.gif  eusa_wall.gif  eusa_wall.gif  eusa_wall.gif  eusa_wall.gif  I hope I won't be thrown to an asylum before I fully heal.

So far most from the class of Nov have made good progress in terms of healing, I hope I can report the same in 4 to 8 weeks.

Sword

I do remember you. You was two days post op when I saw you and your face was still a little bit bloody. I am glad you are happy with the result.

Hi Stephen, remember me?  I was the asian girl you saw who had the dermabrasion in November w/ Dr. Y.  It has been 6 mths and I am just now confident enough not too worry about my redness and demarcation lines around the jaw, so it takes some time but people mostly thougth it was a sunburn.  It is all worth it in the end.  I had milia too when I was healing and ended up getting a small icepick scar from one of them on my cheek but overall all my big noticeable ones are gone forever!!!

Hey Kipster,

I am still red / pink with tiny patches of yellow breaking through. The face is much less splotchy than a month ago.

All these stares and deprivation of social and normal activities can take a toll on you physcologically and emotionally. I began to feel that a few weeks into healing, and as time goes it gets worse and worse. It is like being suspended in an invisible prison.

After consulting others who are much further healed, I believe my healing is no different from theirs. Thanks kooky, john sydney, dolmal, leafsfan, drewboy and shade for checking my pics and your ongoing advice and support.

If you are like Stephen you'd be living a near normal life now except for avoiding the sun, he is unstoppable! eusa_clap.gif For me, I would feel comfortable enough to socialize when the redness goes down a few more notches and when the demarcation line breaks. Hopefully that will happen in a few weeks.

Kipster, it is important to keep yourself companied during this period. I am lucky to have a family of my own, they keep me very busy everyday! If you want to play a few rounds of Counter Strike in the evening that can be arranged too.

LOL, I wish I read posts like this before the derma. Like you always say, keep your head up!

Take care,

Sword