Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
luisodude

should i take accutane

Hey,

Well i went to the derm last week, same old thing, antibiotics arent doing anything so she increased my dose to 100mg mino 2 times a day. She says thats the highest i can take because i am 5'7" 135 lb. But while i was in there, she started talking about accutane. She said that it looks like i might have to eventually take it, and i want to take it but frankly, i am kind of scared. She gave me a boklet and i read through it, and it doesnt seem too bad. I am just worried about a few things.

First of all, i read that it makes ur muscles and bones weaker? well i play highschool football would this be a problem, im only a reciever? Secondly if my eyes get dry while im on accutane would this affect my contact lens wear? Lastly, I am going to France this summer on a school thing, would it be a problem to take the medication through customs or anything like that? Oh yea one last thing, would my age possibly be too young to take accutane, im 14 yrs old (male if it matters).

THank you very much

-Luis

Hey buddy,

You're 14 and acne tends to occur throughout your teenage years. As bad as it seems right now there's a good chance you'll start clearing up in the next few years. 14 is very early to start considering Accutane, even if your acne is very severe, as you've probably only really had significant acne for a year or two at most and haven't given your acne a chance to improve from various other treatments (1 course of antibiotics isn't all you can do for your skin; there are many other treatments worth trying).

You have acne right now because cells all throughout our body have what are called cell receptors, which interact with chemicals such hormones all the time. The cells that make up your oil glands in your skin have receptors, which your male sex hormones, called androgens, plug into and stimulate to trigger them to secrete oil. When your oil glands produce too much oil, this blocks your pores, which traps a naturally occuring bacteria (P. acnes) in your skin that everyone has, even adults with perfect skin, but when it gets trapped in a pore blocked with oil it multiplies out of control and this causes an infection that forms a whitehead or if it is deeper a cyst. If there is no bacteria but the pore is half-blocked with oil that is exposed to air at the surface, the oil is oxidized which makes it black. This is a blackhead.

You have acne because your elevated androgen/testosterone levels, which go up during puberty in order to undergo sexual maturation for full masculinization and reproductive maturity, are overstimulating your oil gland receptors to overproduce oil, thereby blocking your pores and causing acne as mentioned. This happens because you have oversensitive oil gland receptors, a genetic trait beyond control. Thus if you and a friend have the same levels of androgens in your body, and you have acne and he does not, it is because your oil gland receptors are oversensitive and his are not. So now you have same background knowledge and context to understand and deal with your acne. It took me a long time to figure stuff like this out, and I didn't really understand it if I read it anyway.

What you should know: whether or not your derm tells you, there is a strong risk of Accutane significantly limiting your growth at such a young age, not just while on Accutane but for a long time afterwards, sometimes permanently, by fusing your growth plates and limiting muscle but especially bone development. In other words, if you take it now at 4'7" you are significantly risking your height potential. This is worth further investigating and maybe putting up a specific question about this as well as acne.org.

If you do take it there is no issue travelling with it so long as you keep it in its labelled packaging and bring the prescription script, the paper you get with it for the pharmacy; you woul also want to be sure if you are taking it while abroad that you are able to renew the prescription when necessary so you do not miss any doses, and also that you are able to do the routine (usually monthly) blood tests involved to monitor your health as potential side-effects can include liver problems among others.

Any decision to take Accutane under 16 in my opinion is premature in all but the most rare and extreme of cases, as the patient has not had sufficient time in the history of their case to try enough alternatives which may prove effective, and they also haven't given their adolescent acne the chance to begin self-resolving as it tends to, as androgen levels naturally subside in late adolescence.

All that being said, you are very smart to take the initiative and do your research in evaluating your options and weighing the risks and benefits before proceeding with something like Accutane or indeed any acne treatment in general.

Though it is quite wordy, I think that you in particular would benefit from a thread I have set up on acne.org in the forum called Prescription Acne Medications. My thread is called The Accutane Equation. Take some time to look at that and plug in your numbers into my equation to see if it clarifies for you some things about your acne and Accutane.

In the meantime, your acne will probably greatly improve if you reduce/eliminate the sugar in your daily diet, eat more fruits and vegetables and drink 3-4 liters of water. You might have heard that diet has nothing to do with acne but this comes from studies in which people with no acne were given different foods and they did not break out. This is because they were not acnegenic (prone to acne) in the first place. Unlike you and me, they did not have oversensitive oil gland receptors.

When studies do give foods like Coca-Cola (high in sugar) to acne patients, the sugar makes the pancreas secrete insulin which triggers androgen levels to elevate, which in your case overstimulates the oil gland receptors to overproduce oil. Take heart as your acne is almost certainly just a case of adolescent acne whereby you'd want to avoid high sugar at least during the next few years in ordeer to minimize acne as your body has to deal as it is with high enough androgen levels in order to develop fully into manhood. Besides, this stuff isn't good for your body as a whole and as an athlete you want to be in peak physical condition to play your best. Few teenagers are willing to have the patience and self-discipline to force themselves to eat more healthy even if they know it will give them clearer skin-- I know because I was a teenager just a few years ago (I'm 21). And eating healthy can still include as much protein as you can swallow, so you can still get big and buff.

Anyhow, take a look at my post The Accutane Equation and ask as many people on acne.org as you can about your concerns.

Good luck to you,

Antony

Hey,

Well i went to the derm last week, same old thing, antibiotics arent doing anything so she increased my dose to 100mg mino 2 times a day. She says thats the highest i can take  because i am 4' 7" 135 lb.  But while i was in there, she started talking about accutane. She said that it looks like i might have to eventually take it, and i want to take it but frankly, i am kind of scared. She gave me a boklet and i read through it, and it doesnt seem too bad. I am just worried about a few things.  

First of all, i read that it makes ur muscles and bones weaker? well i play highschool football  would this be a problem, im only a reciever? Secondly  if my eyes get dry while im on accutane would this affect my contact lens wear? Lastly, I am going to France this summer on a school thing, would it be a problem to take the medication through customs or anything like that? Oh yea one last thing, would my age possibly be too young to take accutane, im 14 yrs old (male if it matters).

THank you very much

-Luis

wow, thanks alot for that reply.

ok haha about the height issue im sorry i didtn mean 4'7" i am 5'7" sorry bout that. im not too overly worried about that although i would like to grow a little more.

I have tried multiple courses of antibiotics, this isn't my first time.

I will try your accutane equation.

Again, thanks for the great reply.

wow, thanks alot for that reply.

ok haha about the height issue im sorry i didtn mean 4'7" i am 5'7" sorry bout that. im not too overly worried about that although i would like to grow a little more.

I have tried multiple courses of antibiotics, this isn't my first time.

I will try your accutane equation.

Again, thanks for the great reply.

Hi.

I would like anyone who considers taking accutane to be very aware of the possibilities of what can happen.

Over the Years i have know lots of people who have taken it and had it work excelent. However i took accutane back in october and not only did i have literally every side affect they can possibly list, i had a few more. For me, taking accutane was a horrible experience.

When taking it if you do you should be very aware of the side effects becasue some peoples bodys are not ment for it.

Hi.

I would like anyone who considers taking accutane to be very aware of the possibilities of what can happen.

Over the Years i have know lots of people who have taken it and had it work excelent. However i took accutane back in october and not only did i have literally every side affect they can possibly list, i had a few more. For me, taking accutane was a horrible experience.

When taking it if you do you should be very aware of the side effects becasue some peoples bodys are not ment for it.

I think Antony gave an excellent post.  I agree.

Have you read any of the posts on diet?  My 17 year old's cysts have improved dramatically by changing diet - no sugar, no refined carbs, no dairy, but lots of lean proteins, dried fruit, fruit, lots of veggies and some pumpkin seeds just arrived in the mail.  I know it is very difficult for a teen to have a healthy diet what with school and all and going out with friends.  But there are at least some first steps.  If you need any help with that aspect feel free to pm me.

Good luck!

PS  My son was on antibiotics for over a year as well as laser, tazorac, avita and nothing helped like changing up food he eats.  He is willing because he sees results.  Now, if getting rid of red marks and scars were that easy.  Time will help on that I am sure.

Smokey- can you be a little more specific with your side effects? Seeing as how Accutane lists many, many, many side effects..including brain swelling, liver diseases, etc etc- I dont know which of these possibilities you experienced.

I assume you had dryness, joint pain, muscle aches, headaches, nausea, etc... as opposed to brain swelling, seizures, heart palpitations, and the like... Unless you did, to which I am very sorry... But please be specific.