Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unluckyguy

Muscle building tips that is tane/acne friendly

Hi guys,

There have been some posts about this in the past, but I just want a quick headstart into what needs to be done to build muscles. You know what supplements etc to take while doing some arm exersises to promote muscle growth.

Things that can be taken while on tane and which does not cause more acne smile.gif would be nice to know.

There is so much info out there that I wanted to filter out that noise and get some first hand experiences from folks here who are actually in a muscle building program here while on tane.

Thanks,

Prat

Guest Craigems

I take protein, 2-3 times a day. Plus i eat roughly 5-6 meals a day.

I Drink my protein shakes with milk, and i find now that i'm on the tane it doesnt make me breakout what-so-ever.

Exercise is fantastic it boosts your matobolism and blood flow making the tane work better.

Unlucky... what are you goals? Do you wanna be fit, muscular all over or total buff job? Also when your on tane i suggest taking fish oil supplements because you might get some minor joint pain if your just starting off.

I've taken creatine, and whey protein for months before. My acne wasn't getting worse, but it wasn't going away either. I quit taking both and now I have no active acne and just waiting for red marks to fade. I miss the muscle growth creatine gave me, but I hated how it gave me chubby looking cheeks.

unluckyguy,

This is a brilliant thread and I'm glad you got it started.

I'm starting Accutane on Tuesday and really want to work out even more now that I'll be able to eat to bulk up without obsessing over whether it'll also break me out (milk, like craigems mentioned, is great for the protein and calories, but assiduously to be avoided when acne-prone, so I'm looking forward to drinking two 1/2-pints a day worry-free!). I'm also excited about getting back on creatine without fear of the insulin spike from the pre-mixed sugars spurring the elevated androgen levels that broke me out before. I'm just generally really happy that I'll be able to load up with food and work my ass off in the gym without freaking out about what it will all do to my skin; it's almost as if my lifestyle has been so delicate and even emasculating in the last few months because of worrying about breakouts, but now that I'm going hardcore with the Accutane I'm free to eat and exercise and live like a man!

I'll bear in mind the fish oil for the joints; glucosamine sulphate is also supposed to be very good for joints; shark cartilage as well.

I want to improve my body as much I'm going to improve my skin with Accutane, at the same time and long thereafter to complement my newfound clear skin.

Anyone interested in swapping work-out-oriented eating plans while on Accutane?

I'm a big believer in my gains relating as much to my diet and rest as to my work-outs, and I do my best to stick to a pre-planned eating program where I make my own food and stick to the program as best as I can, substituting foods of similar nutritional and especially protein- and calorie-value when necessary.

Here is my daily self-designed Get Big/Bulk Up eating plan as of starting Accutane:

B: 1 bowl oatmeal (100g); 2 slices toast w/ butter/jam/honey; 4 raw eggs; 1 apple; 1/2 pint milk

snack: whey protein shake (maximuscle progain plus 1 tblspoon flaxseed)

L: 1 handful brazil nuts/walnuts; 1 plate brown rice (200g) w/ leafy green salad mix; 1 can tuna (140g); 1 plate beans/potatoes; 1 apple

creatine followed by workout followed by whey protein shake followed by creatine

D: 2 slices toast w/ butter/jam/honey; 1 plate pasta (200g); 1 plate chicken/turkey; 1 apple; 1/2 pint milk

This yields an approximate daily total value of 4,000-4,500+ kcal (I'm a VERY hard-gaining ectomorph, and with this surplus I'll always know that if I skimp a bit I'm still majorly loading up), including approx. 200g protein. I weigh 71kg (168 lbs) at 6'2" (1.87m) for a BMI of 20, and I want to get that up to 80kg packing on lean muscle over 3 months for a BMI of 23 (the "magic" BMI) with my disciplined bulking up diet, 3x weekly heavy lifting on a solid training program, plus creatine. A very reasonable goal indeed.

FYI BMI is body mass index, calculated by: weight (kg) / (height (m))^2;

so I'm 71kg / (1.87m)squared = 20. Ideal BMI is 20-25. Under 20 is underweight. One third of Americans, for example, are considered overweight because their BMI is 25-30. BMI 30+ is obese. BMI 35+ is morbidly obese. It is also important, though, to take into account waistline to evaluate being in shape, i.e. healthy versus obese, otherwise Shaquille O'Neal and Arnold Schwarzenegger are both technically obese despite have very low body fat percentages and healthily proportionate waistlines.

Guest Craigems

Bodybuilders are actually not obese. They can burn the same amount of calories, sitting down and resting after 1 set of weights like 6 reps and thats it for the day. Than a person doing an aerobics session.

Body builders also when they stop training loose their muscle due to canabolisim to fuel the rest of the muscle and dont technically put on weight and can shrink down reasonably quick if need be. Its harder to gain than it is to loose. Also if your looking to gain ... why are you having a balance of carbohydrates and protein? You really should max out the protein and lessen the pasta / rice either have one or the other.

Dam also i think you should taper your diet to your Body Mass, You dont want to be eating more than your burning off. Becuase then its a backlash.

Ahh with your nutrition intake i would lay off the sugars, in your jam and honey. Spreads you put on toast. You'll gain all your energy from the glucose in wheat and breads, no need for excess sugars.

Goodluck on your training Antony.

Guest Craigems

You'll know when your not having enough because you'll start getting hungry. You'll roughly be hungry every 2 hours... and then eat small portions. And then after a while that wont be enough so eat a little more each meal....

If you have ever read about the wai diet, it advises its users to drink 3-5 raw egg yolks a day by slowly starting at 1 teaspoon a day. This, if done properly can greatly improve your resistance to salmonella (which in itself is not much of a risk). Very few eggs are actually infected with salmonella.

www.freeacnebook.com

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/RawEggs.htm

"RAW verses COOKED

One of the problems of consuming egg whites in the large quantities essential to a bodybuilder's diet is the need to separate the whites from the yolks, cook them, eat them, and then having to clean up the mess. This must be repeated over and over, day after day, requiring a lot of work and time. Because of this, many people have turned to eating or drinking their eggs raw. This still doesn't eradicate the problem of separating the whites from the yolk and even more of a concern is the possible exposure to salmonella bacteria poisoning and avidin/biotin toxicity.

In the United States the risk of salmonella is actually quite low - but the risk does exist. Salmonella causes headache, diarrhea, deep abdominal cramping, vomiting, fever, chills, and dehydration. In extremely severe cases it may even be life threatening.

If nothing else other than a few days of illness, it is a very unpleasant experience and will do much to throw you off of your training and result in a loss of muscle tissue. Of course none of this is a very good trade for a little bit of convenience.

Not only does the salmonella risk exist but there is another factor to consider - avidin. Avidin is a glycoprotein (enzyme) present in raw eggs that reacts unfavorably with biotin within the human body. This interaction results in a toxic effect similar to a gross vitamin B deficiency and largely prohibits the body from actually digesting the "raw" egg white. Eating a raw egg is a waste of time, effort, and protein - not to mention it's also dangerous due to the potential for exposure to salmonella and the avidin/biotin vitamin B like deficiency.

So we're back to square one... separating, cooking, and cleaning. However, there's one more point I'd like to make - high heat through cooking can denature the egg white protein and therefore hinders these valuable amino's from being used by the body to their fullest. Most of the protein will be digested but not all."

I take protein, 2-3 times a day. Plus i eat roughly 5-6 meals a day.

I Drink my protein shakes with milk, and i find now that i'm on the tane it doesnt make me breakout what-so-ever.

Exercise is fantastic it boosts your matobolism and blood flow making the tane work better.

Unlucky... what are you goals? Do you wanna be fit, muscular all over or total buff job? Also when your on tane i suggest taking fish oil supplements because you might get some minor joint pain if your just starting off.

yeah im kinda on the same boat as you unlucky, i have been taking whey protien a few times a day though and have noticed no change in my acne or anything else while i have been on accutane.

hey could someone give me some tips or something that i could use to help me build some muscle and become bigger? i have just started working out about a week ago so im still pretty new to it and all. but i need some tips on just working out in general and i thought that since some of you here tend to work out alot, you could help me out. right now i just drink a protien shake after i work out (whey) about 3 times a week. what are some good foods that will help me bulk up quicker and stuff like that. thanks alot.

Guest Craigems

what do you wanna build up? ... heres a website which is fantastic and will answer most if not all your questions on building.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm

Scroll down, and pick what you want .. then pick an article and start reading. I'll garentee you'll be there for a while just learning . smile.gif

1 key advice start eating lots and lots of protein rich foods.

I'm on roaccutane and it hasnt effecting my bodybuilding at all, also i take protien shakes and all, not going into detail, but heres my routine, and im not in the mood to run through my diet yet. Carl.

Body Type: Mesomorph

Body Status: Weight - 9st 4lb - 59kg

Height - 5` 5� - 1.65m

B.M.I - 21.6

Supplements: Multivitamin + Optimum 100% Whey Protein

Work Plan: 1 On, 1 Off, 1 On, 1Off, 1 On, 2 Off.

Leg / Push / Pull

Day 1 – Tuesday: Legs, Abs:

Squats 4 x 6-8

Leg Press 4 x 8-10

Leg Extensions 3 x 8-10

Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise 4 x 10-12

Crunch’s 2 x 8-10

Day 2 – Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps:

Incline/Flat Bench press 4 x 6-8

Leaning Forward Dips/Decline 4 x 6-8

Cable Crossover 3 x 8-10

Shoulder Press 4 x 6-8

Side laterial raises 3 x 8-10

Dumbbell Shrug/Behind the back barbell shrugs 3 x 6-8

Skull Crushers / close grip bench press 3 x 6-8

Tricep Pushdown 2 x 8-10

Day 3 – Saturday: Back, Biceps, Forearm:

Deadlifts 1x10 1x8 1x6 3x3

Bent over rows 3 x 6-8

Cable Rows 3 x 8-10

Lat pulldowns 2 x 8-10

Seated rear delt raises 3 x 6-8

Dumbbell Incline Bicep Curl 3 x 6-8

Hammer Curls 2 x 6-8

I have heard that raw eggs has the problem of avidin and ovomucoid enzyme inhibitors, but is this in the egg white or yolk, so I can take one and not the other?

I'm confused about the whole egg thing. I don't have to worry about salmonella because

(a) I only eat free-range omega-3 enhanced eggs from chickens fed an EFA-rich grain-based diet, bringing the odds of salmonella astronomically down from (b) the odds of salmonella in regular eggs which are already low enough at 1 in 20,000 eggs, and © I take daily top-quality probiotic supplements so my digestive tract is full of good bacteria like a fucking Delta Force waiting to ambush and eliminate any invading bacteria.

What does worry me is my body's metabolization and absorption of the eggs.

I had read the site on the Wai diet's praise for egg yolks, which is very persuasive, and that helped encourage me to continue my 4 a day.

I really don't want to waste my time and money eating it if itsn't worthwhile nutritionally, and maybe even counterproductive.

Any ideas anyone?

I really like Wai, she just seems interesting. But her diet will make me lose weight and become emaciated since I am already near it. So I am not going to try it. She recommends raw fish for your protein, with the egg yolks. So perhaps you can eat those in place of the egg yolks.

My workout plan

Day 1 (Sunday): Arms

Barbell Curls - 3 x 4-6 Reps

Dumbell Curls - 3 x 4-6 Reps

Hammer Curls- 3 x 4-6 Reps

Day 2 (Monday): Legs

Squats - 3 x 4-6 Reps

Stiff Legged Deadlifts - 3 x 4-6 Reps

Calf Raises - 3 x 4-6 Reps

Day 3 (Tuesday): Chest

Incline Dumbell Bench Press - 3 x 4-6 Reps

Flat Dumbell Bench Press - 3 x 4-6 Reps

Dips - 3 x 4-6 Reps

Day 4(Thursday): Shoulders

Standing Military Press - 3 x 4-6 Reps

Upright Rows - 3 x 4-6 Reps

Shrugs - 3 x 4-6 Reps

Day 5(Friday): Back

Wide Grip Chin-ups(Weighted If Able) - 4-6 Reps

Bent Over Barbell Rows - 4-6 Reps

Deadlifts - 4-6 Reps

Boom shakakaka: your regimen is lacking a lot... like no triceps, abs, cardio ect.

you should be using weights where you do the pyramid for core lifts and on 6-4-2 be going until failure or near failure (chest, deadlift, squat) not 4-6reps 3x. 10-8-6-4-2 or at least 10-8-6

Wza..the 4-6 rep range is well regarded as the best rep range for putting on mass and i feel its justified, having tried various sets/reps. Has for no ab work and no cardio, i dont think my abs need any work at the moment and being a hard gainer, i minimalise on the cardio. However ill take your points on no tricep work on board.

Guest Craigems

This is the Regime i was on but i'm now specifically building my arms this month so its changed round. This is a 5 day full body workout my Personal trainer gave me.

Note. I always did about 3-5mins on the bike to get my blood pumping around all my muscles, and you get a good pump. (Even though now they say the pump doesnt really do anything lol but it still feels good).

Monday: (Chest)

3 x 8-10reps Bench Press

3 x 8-10reps Dumbbell Press

3 x 10reps Pec Fly (not pec machine)

2 x 8reps Diaphram Stretch

Tuesday: (Back)

3 x 8-10reps Assisted Chinups

3 x 8-10reps Weighted row Machine

3 x 8-10reps Dead lifts.

3 x 8 Back extension

Wednesday: (Legs)

3-4 x 8-10reps Squats

2 x 8-10reps leg press

3 x 8-10reps leg extension

3 x 15-20reps Standing calf raises

Thusday: (Shoulders)

3 x 8-10reps Shoulder Press (front Press)

3 x 8-10reps Upright Rowing

3 x 8-10reps Rear Deltoid

2 x 10-15reps Shrugs

Friday: (Arms)

3 x 8-10reps Incline Dumbbell Curls

3 x 8-10reps Preacher Curls

3 x 8-10reps Straight Bar Tricep Pulley

3 x 8-10reps Close grip Tricep Pulley

3 x 8-10reps Lying barbell Tricep Extensions

Always make sure you eat/protein no more than 30mins after a workout. Stops muscle canabolism.

Guest Craigems

And boom is right wza. You dont do more than 6-8reps. Reason being you lift as much weight as possible for those 6 reps. All your trying to do is break the muscle fibres so they repair stronger. And Cardio is okay thats why i do 3-5mins before my weight session. But then again on mondays now i play touch-football which is a fast paced running rugby game so i get my cardio from that.

MORE IS NOT BETTER. ANd you shouldnt really be in the gym longer than 40-45mins unless you talk alot.

Well yeah tricep is like 2x as important as bicep if you're trying to build on core lifts... Working bench is a lot of tricep.. biceps are also a lot smaller than tricep

Well yeah tricep is like 2x as important as bicep if you're trying to build on core lifts... Working bench is a lot of tricep.. biceps are also a lot smaller than tricep