Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rzwen

UGH! I hate this gel and what it's done! OILY FACE

My face previous had acne and red marks, but it had a matte appearance. After 3 weeks of this BP Gel, my face is covered with oil and is incredibly shiny! I followed the regimen strictly during these 3 weeks, and used alot of Gel. I decided to stop after 3 weeks of using the gel, but even a month later, my face continues to oil like crazy! What is going on!? Why hasn't it adjusted and gone back to the way it was? Why is my face so oily now? What did this gel do!? Please, someone explain!

perhaps the extra dryness (on the surface and within the skin) has caused an increase in oil production. That kinda happens to me.. your skin SHOULD return to normal after quiting the gel.

It's winter time my friend. Unless you live somewhere that's warm during these months, oily skin can be expected. Trying something new probably exacerbated this. Don't give up and don't let it get to you...let go.

I can't just let it go though! I believe that this Gel has caused my skin to oil excessively. It has never done this before. But I thought that stopping the gel will allow my skin to go back to normal, but even after a month, my face has not gotten better! What makes it worse is that I chose to do this to myself... if my face was naturally oily, I wouldn't mind so much; but it makes me so angry that something I rubbed into my face may have permanently changed it!

Have you tried any products to control the oil? Maybe a sulfur mask will help?

Vitamin B5 seems to be working for a lot of people also, though I haven't tried it personally.

I can't believe that a cosmetic product would change your rate of sebum production--maybe it's just a coincidence. eusa_think.gif

What products were you using prior to the bp gel? Were you using neutrogena on-the-spot? The neutrogena product has bentonite which helps to absorb oil, so if this oilyness you have experience came on after switching products, that could be why. I don't know if Dan's bp product has any ingredients to assist with absorbing oil, but the neutrogena and some clearasil creams do too. If bp is helping with your breakouts, but you don't like the oil, try using the neutrogena on-the-spot, that should help. Also look into an AHA product, they help balance skin oils. I am using the oil free alpha hydrox, and have noticed a siginificant reduction in oil.

but be careful, this may be too harsh if you have sensitive skin. Good luck to you.

Nope. Before I was using nothing except soap.

Now, even with soap, my face gets oily.

Certainly benzoyl peroxide does not permanently change the structure of your oil producing glands, so don't worry that that has occured.

You say that you used a lot of gel for the first 3 weeks. I try to specifically warn against this in many places on the site. It is best to start slowly with only a small amount of bp. Perhaps your skin is reacting to starting too fast by overproducing oil.

Yes. It is unfortunate that I used so much. But I was using Carly's Clear and Smooth with includes BP prior to the gel, so I figured my skin might already be accustomed to it. But in time, my skin should return to normal, right? Please say so! Thanks.

Ahh! It's doing the same to me too! I used Dan's BP Gel for a good month or so before quitting. It's been at least 3 months since I quit, and my matte face remains completely oily! I don't understand why it's doing this. Why will it not return to my original skin type!? I honestly think the gel did something.

Guest TylerD

Shiza just relax. There are things out there you can use to cut the oilyness out of you'r skin. First of all is the acne really bad. Or just the oilyness. Because if you just have oilyness then you can buy a really good astringent. The main ingredient or atleast hte one i use it rubbing alcohol which drys the skin out alot and gets rid of any oilyness. Use that like twice a day morning and night you will never see any oil. Or alot of my friends just use straight up rubbing alcohol. I dont use it because its too drying but my face isnt oily whats so ever because i was oon accutane. But anyway you should try buying a good astrignent or rubbing alcohol and try that out. And if that doesnt work you could always go to you're doc and ask him what he thinks there is alot of things out there you can buy for oily skin.

I don't think you understand. I'm not bitter because of the oily skin itself, but because I believe Dan's BP Gel caused it to become oily. Cutting off the gel has not caused it to go back into its previous matte state.

I don't think you understand. I'm not bitter because of the oily skin itself, but because I believe Dan's BP Gel caused it to become oily. Cutting off the gel has not caused it to go back into its previous matte state.

i doubt any over the counter chemical can cause a permanent change in your face. I feel your pain, i quit using the harsh products a while ago and slowly my face is recovering. Its been 3 months or so and i believe it will take up to a year before my skin reverts back to normal.

i have super oily face....and it drips literally with oil...

i never used dan's bp before.. ( i dun have a credit card, sighs) so i am forced to stick to Netrogena-on-the-spot..

..but hey, it works wonder for absorbing oil. it makes the face 99.55 % less oily than before.

PS: Netrogena on the spot is EXTREMELY HARSH, and i wasn;t able to apply it 2x a day. I only could do "once a day" for 5 weeks, and only managed to put 2x a day on the 6th week.... becareful, it is really harsh, but will work wonder after the 5th weeks or so (but expect a serious breakout in week 5 before it adjusts)

Well, I guess I'm roughly at the 3 month mark since quitting the Gel too. And well, my forehead continues to drip with oil! Today, my forehead almost seemed wet. Why is it like this!? Will it ever become matte again!?

My face never got too oily, but I used to use hydrogen peroxide. That would stop any oils. Same thing with a morning cleanser.

My face previous had acne and red marks, but it had a matte appearance. After 3 weeks of this BP Gel, my face is covered with oil and is incredibly shiny! I followed the regimen strictly during these 3 weeks, and used alot of Gel. I decided to stop after 3 weeks of using the gel, but even a month later, my face continues to oil like crazy! What is going on!? Why hasn't it adjusted and gone back to the way it was? Why is my face so oily now? What did this gel do!? Please, someone explain!