Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bulldog

Rating the non-ablative lasers

Anyone know much about the non-ablative lasers? So many of them are known as many names which makes research hard.

There are comparisons out there on the web - just have to dig around.

Smoothbeam is the only one that has been approved for treating acne scarring. N-Lite seems to be used fairly regularly and I have also heard about CoolTouch II being better than CoolTouch I. N-Lite is truly non-ablative since it doesn't require an outside cooling source such as a spray.

Cool Touch 2 is not for scars, dont even bother its for like acne.

Smooth beam is like cool touch but stronger.

N lite is one of the oldest one.

Id go for smooth beam since its newest and FDA apporved for acne scars.

Thanks for everything OursFan, you are always very informative.

There are just so many lasers out there that I'm often confused what is what and what does what.

In Australia, I've emailed a few clinics for n-lite with no success. Some have V-Beam but I'm not sure if that is beneficial for shallow acne.

You're very welcome. Glad to help. :)

Comparison of most lasers:

http://www.yestheyrefake.net/laser_resurfacing.htm

Comparison between Cool Touch II and N-Lite:

http://www.shorelaser.com/Non-Ablative%20C...%20Study01.html

Info on N-Lite:

http://www.yestheyrefake.net/NLite.htm

www.wrinklereduction.com

Info on Smoothbeam:

www.smoothbeam.com

Info on Cool Touch:

www.cooltouch.com

Another comparison:

http://www.yestheyrefake.net/NLite_faq.htm

Strength is what the difference between acne removeal and acne scars.

N-lite is very powerful you need the newer machines, the old ones really dont work.

To be honest im no deramtologist but I based my information on stuff i read on the web.

Cool Touch is very popular in the UK its just for acne, they said so on some sites. I also saw some before and after pics, the scars where still their just not much redness or acne.

Cool TOuch II is like 100 pounds in UK. So its mostly for acne removal, its not powerful enough like smoothbeam and n-lite.

N-lite is around 4 years ago, Smoothbeam is so new, you hardly hear of it.

Technology is changing. The Concept of N-lite 4 years ago was what made it big, the older machiens arent powerful, they dont od tha tmuch.

hope i cleared things.

REmember the strength of Cooltouch cannot treat scars, this could change, but as far as i know, it doesnt. Thats why you got smooth beam and N-lite.

hello: where did you get the idea that there are two different N-Lite machines? I didn't see anything about that on their site, www.wrinklereduction.com - please share the source of your information.

OursFan

N-lite came out in 2001 or 2000.

During that period many people bought machines (Doctors).

The technology at that time was fairly new

its much like computers Bigger and Fast ones come out all the time.

Its a fact that old n-lite machines hardly worked and infact many doctors removed them from their offices saying N-lite was a failure.

But the new ones are real good.

Thats why id prefer smoothvbeam since its so new, that it works from the start.

You seee what im saying

you dont have to worry about wether the doctor uses an old machine or new machine.

Talk to max55334 he also knows about this topic hes expeiernced it first hand.

v-beam is that from candela if it is its not for acne scars, maybe discolation in the skin

SmoothBeam is from the makers of v-beam, and its for acne scars.

hello:

I understand what you are saying - I just wanted to know where you got the information from that there are newer N-Lite machines that are more powerful. The reason that I ask is because I have done a fair amount of research on the non-ablative lasers and I have not read that information before.

Bulldog:

Sites with information on v-beam:

http://www.totaldermatology.com/pages/acnescar.html

http://www.cosmeticsurgeryindia.com/acne_scars.htm

http://www.plasticsurgerysoutherncaliforni...ures_laser.html

http://www.weloveskin.com/newsletters/bacd...ettter_fall.htm

i spent atleast 5 hours researching it on the internet so im not sure.

also im sure of this because wild card seems to have the same "Facts" if i could call that.

and max has actualyl used newer and older n-lite machines

he says ht eolder ones dont even feel the same as the newer ones.

Yes it's true. The new N-lite machines are 4 times as powerful as the older versions - I saw this in a clinical research paper done by Dr Chu at Hammersmith hospital. Also, my needling aesthetician told me that too - but not many places have the new machiines so it's worth asking around.

Thanks kindly oursfan. I might give v-beam a go. 600 Australian dollars for 3 sessions. I would like to try n-lite but it's no available anywhere I can find. I'll try v-beam and then n-lite also. I have some money saved so it'll be ok. My scars are quite shallow but visible in fluorescent lighting and it just bothers me.

I had one Cooltouch 2 treatment. (Cooltouch 1 is an old version and I don't think it's still in use). My treatment cost £600 for cheeks and nose only and I didn't notice any difference. I decided to stop after one treatment and have subcision to ensure that my pits weren't tethered down before having more treatments. The doctor only did 2 passes over the area and said that I'd need around 6 treatments, although her father (the other doctor in the practice) said I'd probably need 3. A year or two ago, some people reported good results on the Voy board.

I suppose some doctors don't use a high setting (especially the first time) because they need to see you an individual's skin reacts. Also, perhaps some doctors do lower settings to keep up going back for more treatments?

I had the n-lite treatment about 2 years ago at the beauty salon. It cost £350 for one cheek and didn't make any difference. A registered nurse performed the treatment but as the machine/treatment was new, I suspect she was cautious and didn't turn it up high.

I recently had an n-lite treatment for my red spider veins (I didn't realize it could do this). The veins have faded/are fading. I think this must be the new n-lite machine as Dr Chu had been conducting trials. With regard n-lite for acne scars, Dr Chu told me that results vary with individuals - some treatments work on some people, and not on others. I think overall his trials showed good results, but he did say that in one case, he performed a number of treatments on one person with disappointing results.

A few weeks ago, I phoned a laser clinic about n-lite and the receptionist said they charged £350 for the cheeks and £700 for the full face. She said that it could treat acne (the light apparently kills acne bacteria) and on a higher setting, it could elevate depressed scars. I asked if they used the new machine and she claimed that there wasn't much difference, they just adjusted the settings as appropriate, and the difference between the old and new was just that the latter was more "user friendly". This information came from the receptionist, so I don't know if it is technically correct.

I read on the Voy board that some people experienced good results from the Smoothbeam. Candela makes both the Smoothbeam and V-Beam. The doctor who performed my Cooltouch suggested V-Beam for my rosacea/red veins and said that it "might" help the pits as well.

Today I asked my Dermatologist if there was more than one N-Lite machine made. He said there were a few generations. He said that the differences between were basically the Spot Size (area of treatment) and how quickly they refired (probably considered repetition rate).