Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mandy97

healthy eating

Hi all,

I've had acne for about 2 years now, I'm 26, and when it first hit I didn't know what to do and it was pretty bad. Anyways, a few months after it started I changed my whole way of eating. I pretty much taught myself through reading books. I also went to a nutritionist last week, to see if I was eating a balanced diet and thankfully she said i was. Anyways, some good authors to read are Dr. Elson Haas (an MD but practices integrative, natural medicine), Dr. Andrew Weil, and Dr. Perricone. I did the Perricone program and it worked somewhat well, but I didn't like the supplements part and stuck mostly to the diet. I mess up sometimes and binge on chocolate sometimes, but oh well. Dr.Haas has a good website http://www.elsonhaas.com/ about changing to a healthier lifestyle by eating, etc. I used BP but eventually stopped because of the stinging and redness, but it worked. Now I just use the Cetaphil bar, makes sure to moisturize and use Aloe Vera gel for marks. Pretty soon I am going to follow a Detox diet by Dr. Haas from his book the Detox Diet.

I realized that detoxing takes time and didn't want to try flushes because they seemed to extreme. Anyways, I know I sound like I'm promoting these books and all but they really helped me learn about how to take care of myself better. The best changes in my skin were that the size of pimples decreased considerably, the redness and oiliness is way diminshed. For me it's mostly a hormonal thing I noticed, and it sucks that I don't have much control over that. I still breakout but definitely not as bad as before. I just learned that healing takes time as much as that sucks and that the body heals itself. Another major thing for me is stress, I really need to work on that one. Good luck everyone! eusa_angel.gif

Mandy

Hi all,

I've had acne for about 2 years now, I'm 26, and when it first hit I didn't know what to do and it was pretty bad.  Anyways, a few months after it started I changed my whole way of eating. I pretty much taught myself through reading books.  I also went to a nutritionist last week, to see if I was eating a balanced diet and thankfully she said i was.  Anyways, some good authors to read are Dr. Elson Haas (an MD but practices integrative, natural medicine), Dr. Andrew Weil, and Dr. Perricone.  I did the Perricone program and it worked somewhat well, but I didn't like the supplements part and stuck mostly to the diet.  I mess up sometimes and binge on chocolate sometimes, but oh well.  Dr.Haas has a good website http://www.elsonhaas.com/ about changing to a healthier lifestyle by eating, etc.  I used BP but eventually stopped because of the stinging and redness, but it worked.  Now I just use the Cetaphil bar, makes sure to moisturize and use Aloe Vera gel for marks.  Pretty soon I am going to follow a Detox diet by Dr. Haas from his book the Detox Diet.

I realized that detoxing takes time and didn't want to try flushes because they seemed to extreme. Anyways, I know I sound like I'm promoting these books and all but they really helped me learn about how to take care of myself better.  The best changes in my skin were that the size of pimples decreased considerably, the redness and oiliness is way diminshed.  For me it's mostly a hormonal thing I noticed, and it sucks that I don't have much control over that. I still breakout but definitely not as bad as before. I just learned that healing takes time as much as that sucks and that the body heals itself.  Another major thing for me is stress, I really need to work on that one.  Good luck everyone! eusa_angel.gif

Mandy

i agree with Mandy's approach and i've found that it does take time for the body to heal. i too changed my diet, mainly through reading various nutrition books and through reading various acne forums - focusing on diet threads. i don't believe it's a fair statement to say that 'with these diets you have to avoid EVERYTHING'. i've avoided dairy, processed foods and anything with high amounts of sugar. however, i've discovered so many different types of new foods and natural replacements (soy products for dairy for example) that i honestly do not miss any of the junk. it seems to me that ingesting '40' oreos and then purging your system through a liver flush seems far more a burden in the long run on your health, than simply eating fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. for the day. but hey, to each their own. biggrin.gif

my skin is currently the clearest it has been in 20 years. it has cleared slowly and consistently over the past 7-8 weeks that i've been following my new diet. my biggest contributing factors were coffee, dairy and insane amounts of sugar. i tried diet as a last resort, after everything short of accutane as prescribed by my dermatologist and foolishly believing him when he said changing my diet wouldn't help matters. changing my diet doesn't help HIM anymore! but it has helped ME tremendously. wink.gif

How do you reconcile Perricone's advice with Weil's. I personally find Weil's advise much more reasonable; no card/super low carb are bad for you're brain. Also if you read Weil's book you know that quality chocolate is fine to eat, so no worries about having it once in a while.

I try really hard to incorproate much of Dr. Weil's advice, but how do other people do it when you have to cook/eat with family?

i agree with Mandy's approach and i've found that it does take time for the body to heal.  i too changed my diet, mainly through reading various nutrition books and through reading various acne forums - focusing on diet threads.  i don't believe it's a fair statement to say that 'with these diets you have to avoid EVERYTHING'.  i've avoided dairy, processed foods and anything with high amounts of sugar.  however, i've discovered so many different types of new foods and natural replacements (soy products for dairy for example) that i honestly do not miss any of the junk. it seems to me that ingesting '40' oreos and then purging your system through a liver flush seems far more a burden in the long run on your health, than simply eating fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. for the day.  but hey, to each their own.  biggrin.gif

my skin is currently the clearest it has been in 20 years. it has cleared slowly and consistently over the past 7-8 weeks that i've been following my new diet. my biggest contributing factors were coffee, dairy and insane amounts of sugar.  i tried diet as a last resort, after everything short of accutane as prescribed by my dermatologist and foolishly believing him when he said changing my diet wouldn't help matters.  changing my diet doesn't help HIM anymore!  but it has helped ME tremendously.  wink.gif

I try really hard to incorproate much of Dr. Weil's advice, but how do other people do it when you have to cook/eat with family?

it's definitely a challenge for me with my family.  my husband is very set in his ways, and he's not about to change his diet just because i have.  luckily, he's content to buy/prepare his own food!   

2-3x a week i'll fix a meal with his and my daughter's interest in mind (and make something else or a variation for myself).  however,  i'm trying very hard to gently guide my daughter (who is 12) towards better nutrition for life.  i've recently switched her from cow's milk to soy.  this took a lot of patience and presenting her with information in small amounts here and there. 

she too suffers already from acne so luckily she's seeing my diet changes postively affecting my skin and this of course helps reinforce the principles i'm trying to preach. 

stevelewis - i can certainly understand that after a year of attempting diet modifications without satisfactory results, your need to try something else.  i would certainly do the same!  however, as of right now diet changes seem to be working for me, so i don't see the need to do any drastic liver cleansing.  (to me, fasting/drinking large amounts of olive oil is drastic, to you and several others it is not, and i totally respect that). 

i drink yogi detox tea every day and focus on foods that are helpful to my liver.  i recognize the connection between a healthy liver and clear skin. smile.gif

i agree with Mandy's approach and i've found that it does take time for the body to heal.  i too changed my diet, mainly through reading various nutrition books and through reading various acne forums - focusing on diet threads.  i don't believe it's a fair statement to say that 'with these diets you have to avoid EVERYTHING'.  i've avoided dairy, processed foods and anything with high amounts of sugar.  however, i've discovered so many different types of new foods and natural replacements (soy products for dairy for example) that i honestly do not miss any of the junk. it seems to me that ingesting '40' oreos and then purging your system through a liver flush seems far more a burden in the long run on your health, than simply eating fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. for the day.  but hey, to each their own.  biggrin.gif

my skin is currently the clearest it has been in 20 years. it has cleared slowly and consistently over the past 7-8 weeks that i've been following my new diet. my biggest contributing factors were coffee, dairy and insane amounts of sugar.  i tried diet as a last resort, after everything short of accutane as prescribed by my dermatologist and foolishly believing him when he said changing my diet wouldn't help matters.  changing my diet doesn't help HIM anymore!  but it has helped ME tremendously.  wink.gif