Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whatsup

Stress/Acne Cure

I am 100% clear following my new found cure for acne.

I now believe stress is responsible for causing acne in many people. It would be very hard to say it causes acne in all people since there would be no way to prove that right now.

In response to a stressor, the autonomic nervous system and the endocrine system cause physical changes that prepare the body to deal with an emergency. This fight or flight reaction causes changes to occur all over the body including liver releasing sugar into the bloodstream, digestion is halted, emptying of bladder content, blood vessels in the skin and visera contract, adrenal glands stimulate secretion of epinephrine and norepinephrine which increase blood sugar, blood presurre and heart rate. These are just some of the changes that occur in the body.

The fight or flight reaction prepares the body for physical reaction regardless of whether such action is neccessary or appropriate. This day and age, it is inappropriate or unneccessary a lot of times. The fight or flight response is a survival mechanism, but we don't want to induce this response constantly throughout the day for things like exams, get togethers, etc.

Sometimes you hear the connection between being sick and the clearing of the skin. This could be because when a person is sick it means its a time for the body to rest. Another connection could be working out and acne flare ups. There was a study done in the past that showed students acne had gotten worse during exam times. Yet another connection would be, why people have so much more acne here, in the United States, than in other countries.

I'm sure there is a world of connection between stress and acne if we looked deeper into our daily lives. I remember going to my country and coming back 100% clear. I never knew why until now. I thought it could possibly be the water, the clean air or a number of other things. The reason why i came back clear was because the life i was living in my country was so much more natural than the life i was living in the U.S.

When I first heard about the stress and acne connection a while ago, I really didn't know how to take it. Was I suppose to meditate? Was I suppose to think positively? At that time I didn't know I had to drastically alter my lifestyle.

This is what my new lifestyle consists of :

- No loud music.

- Putting a limit on watching tv (0 - 30 mins a day).

- Putting a limit on going online (0-30 mins a day).

- If your indoors make sure your getting adequate fresh air ( but if your sleeping make sure to close your windows so you don't get sick if that is a possibility).

- limiting expose to light from anything besides the sun like from a light bulb. So in the daytime let the sun shine through your window as opposed to turning on the light.

- Sleeping at 10 pm and waking up at 5 am. Follow that schedule as much as you can or something very close to it.

-Something very important is to listen to your body. If your stressed out you might need rest or a change in activity.

- I still follow a healthy diet and hope others still will if they get clear by reducing there stress. I also still use natural products.

- I do a lot of reading

- Stretching and excercise

- Take baths

- After i'm done washing my face in any situation i end up washing it with really cold water for like 5-10 seconds.

- i put the computer monitor and television further away from me so it affects me less than when its up close.

None of the things i do to reduce my stress is written in stone. I am sure everyone will find different aspects of there lives to change in order to reduce their stress levels. Please post those changes.

I realize that it is very hard, if not impossible, to have a stressful lifestyle and a clear mind. So from a mental aspect, if you want to rid yourself of negative thinking or any other mental problem, you need to physically fix the problem first and then you will see how easy it is for your mental side to follow. Another thing i realized is that I looked at my acne as so much more devastating than it actually is when my stress levels were high.

Take care for now

I also want to say if you don't control your life a lot of times it will control you and living a more natural life will give you the opportunity to be a participater instead of an on looker.

I agree. Stress can trigger many things both physical and mental. Good for you for becoming mindful enough to notice. It is easy to get so caught up in life and always thinking of what needs to be done now or later that we don't take to time to relax. There are many great books and authors that explain all this and give good insight into dealing with stress. As a result, you begin to really understand how much control you do have, thus not feeling so overwhelmed with the things going on around you. One of my favorite Authors is Dr. Wayne Dyer. He's great and has written many books, been around for a long time.. He's also very easy to read and understand.

Take Care biggrin.gif

I for one find this topic to be very interesting as I myself have experimented with this same theory. I have noticed that on the weekends when i am partying with friends, relaxing, drinking, my skin seems to be almost normal oiliness and my skin seems calm. However once...err...sober...my skin is super oily and constantly breaking out. I realized that when i am partying i don't think about my skin at all for long periods of time, but when sober i just tend to think about NOTHING but my face and how people view it. To me this is definately stress. I have also noticed that when i wake up in the mornings my skin seems barely oily and feels comfortable, but once conscious my skin gets oilier and oilier by the hour and feels super-greasy and uncomfortable by the end of the day. I got the same degree of acne on my chest and back a couple years after i started treating my face and i just left those alone and never thought about it. Sure enough i have nothing on my chest or back today, just on my face...Hmm. I guess the best thing to do is just try to not think about the acne at all, or just find something else to think about all the time instead of my face... sorry for the long post that's all peace.

I now believe stress is responsible for causing acne in many people.  It would be very hard to say it causes acne in all people since there would be no way to prove that right now. 

In response to a stressor, the autonomic nervous system and the endocrine system cause physical changes that prepare the body to deal with an emergency.  This fight or flight reaction causes changes to occur all over the body including liver releasing sugar into the bloodstream, digestion is halted, emptying of bladder content, blood vessels in the skin and visera contract, adrenal glands stimulate secretion of epinephrine and norepinephrine which increase blood sugar, blood presurre and heart rate.  These are just some of the changes that occur in the body. 

The fight or flight reaction prepares the body for physical reaction regardless of whether such action is neccessary or appropriate.  This day and age, it is inappropriate or unneccessary a lot of times.  The fight or flight response is a survival mechanism, but we don't want to induce this response constantly throughout the day for things like exams, get togethers, etc.

Sometimes you hear the connection between being sick and the clearing of the skin.  This could be because when a person is sick it means its a time for the body to rest.  Another connection could be working out and acne flare ups. There was a study done in the past that showed students acne had gotten worse during exam times. Yet another connection would be, why people have so much more acne here, in the United States, than in other countries.

I'm sure there is a world of connection between stress and acne if we looked deeper into our daily lives.  I remember going to my country and coming back 100% clear.  I never knew why until now.  I thought it could possibly be the water, the clean air or a number of other things.  The reason why i came back clear was because the life i was living in my country was so much more natural than the life i was living in the U.S.

When I first heard about the stress and acne connection a while ago, I really didn't know how to take it.  Was I suppose to meditate? Was I suppose to think positively?  At that time I didn't know I had to drastically alter my lifestyle.

- No loud music.

- If your indoors make sure your getting adequate fresh air ( but if your sleeping make sure to close your windows so you don't get sick if that is a possibility).

- limiting expose to light from anything besides the sun like from a light bulb. So in the daytime let the sun shine through your window as opposed to turning on the light.

- Sleeping at 10 pm and waking up at 5 am.  Follow that schedule as much as you can or something very close to it.

-Something very important is to listen to your body.  If your stressed out you might need rest or a change in activity.

- I still follow a healthy diet and hope others still will if they get clear by reducing there stress. I also still use natural products.

-  I do a lot of reading

- Take baths

- After i'm done washing my face in any situation i end up washing it with really cold water for like 5-10 seconds.

-  i put the computer monitor and television further away from me so it affects me less than when its up close.

None of the things i do to reduce my stress is written in stone.  I am sure everyone will find different aspects of there lives to change in order to reduce their stress levels.  Please post those changes.

I realize that it is very hard, if not impossible, to have a stressful lifestyle and a clear mind.  So from a mental aspect, if you want to rid yourself of negative thinking or any other mental problem, you need to physically fix the problem first and then you will see how easy it is for your mental side to follow.  Another thing i realized is that I looked at my acne as so much more devastating than it actually is when my stress levels were high.

Take care for now

I recently broke out badly, for the first time in years.... ive been stressin over my university work like never before,, im certain its a big factor....honesty...

however. I think your lifestyle changes are simply too unrealistic for most people..

no loud music

net time = 30 mins a day

tv - 30 mins a day

sleep at 10 wake up at 5.......

yeah right.... no way jimbo..... not gonna happen. its anti-biotics all the way for me...

I agree 100% in theory, It's jsut that in our modern world most of your suggestions are too hard to be done. I feel sorry for half of the population that has to sit in a cubicle staring at a computer all day.

Also for me, loud music, doesn't matter if it's classical or Sonic Youth, relaxes me, it get's me visualizing, which builds more pathways in the brain.

I also do meditation and innertalk tapes so I am pretty chill most of the time and I can shrug off tons of things now. You should have seen the wreck I was before with regards to stress and anxiety(No anxiety disorder but just a 24/7 knot in my stomach feeling and always nervous, even when I was feeling good if that makes sense).

Thanks for all the positive responses biggrin.gif

First let me answer the question about my diet now as opposed to before.

When i became 100% clear when i went to my country, i wasn't following any kind of diet. I ate whatever i wanted. This vacation i took was a few years ago.

Basically the last month and a half i have been following a diet of mostly fruits, vegs, seeds, nuts, meat and some rice. Yes it is a pretty good diet and somedays i did become pretty clear, but never came close to achieving it in the longterm.

Right now at the moment im not following the same diet and i am not monitoring what im eating like before, and guess what no blemishes. I remember yesterday seeing something close to a blemish and i knew it was because of my stress levels. So i brought my stress down a bit and bingo that future zit was stopped in its tracks and it disappeared in a matter of hours.

Ok everyone, i have an idea. Similar to the elimination diet, lets instead eliminate some of the stressors in our lives. Then you will be able to see more clearly if stress affects your skin or not. Back in the days, we didn't have tvs, computers, video games, music, electricity that could potentially warp our minds. So maybe those are the first things you should try to limit or maybe even eliminate.

Its important for you to limit yourself when it comes to your lifestyle. Don't wait until your stressed out. If you wait until your stressed out it means your too late.

Maybe even making subtle changes in your life will do the trick in some cases. If you love doing something like going on the computer, putting the monitor pretty far away from you might really make a big difference. It has made a big difference for me. But, if you choose to go online, watch tv, listen to music, and push yourself to your limits i doubt it you will reduce your stress levels. A good idea would be if your going to do something that is stressful do it in shorter duration.

ok take care

I'd have to say I agree.

Acne is caused by an increase of sebum going to your face.

The sebaceous gland causes this.

Hormones cause the sebaceous gland to work.

If you can reduce, or get rid of, the increased hormonal level in your body you can get rid of acne.

I'm currently thinking about

a) improving my liver (liver clense) as the liver flushes hormones out of the system

b) that swirling oil around your mouth has that seem to work by getting rid of certain things (even hormones?)

c) removing all things from my diet which increase the reaction in my body that aggrevates my sebaceous gland.

d) being so active, like i was when i went abroad, all my hormones are 'used up'.

I had a stomach virus the last few days. Well today i went to the hospital to get a blood test, lol worst hospital in the world... stress level went sky highhh , came home and boom got a couple of new friends on my face

Blackbirdbeatle said alot.

Meditation and inner talk. Like I said before, there is alot of info out there.

On Meditation:

Learn to be silent.

Let your quiet mind

listen and absorb

by: Pythagoras

(580 B.C-500 B.C

and while I am at it:

All man's miseries derive from not being

able to sit quietly in a room alone.

by: Blaise Pascal

(1623-1662)

Both of these were written by great scientist, mathematician and writers.

Ok the last few days i've been eating completely against my healthy diet. From sugary cereals, breads, drinking milk to Kentucy fried chicken. Let me just say that there is no changes in my skin at this time. Im not expecting any either. I'll post if there is a breakout or anything due to diet.

Ok i found another thing to limit myself from doing and thats looking in the mirror. Im sure that is a big part of stress for some of us and it is for me. Byee mirror lol , ill just look at you twice a day eusa_angel.gif

Some say acceptance is the number one need among all people. So if you look in the mirror and not accept yourself for the way you are right now it will cause you a lot of pain and stress. When someone else doesn't accept you for the way you look you will agree with them because that is how you feel about yourself. If you want to look in the mirror constantly look at it to acknowledge your acceptance of how you look.

I now believe stress is responsible for causing acne in many people.  It would be very hard to say it causes acne in all people since there would be no way to prove that right now. 

In response to a stressor, the autonomic nervous system and the endocrine system cause physical changes that prepare the body to deal with an emergency.  This fight or flight reaction causes changes to occur all over the body including liver releasing sugar into the bloodstream, digestion is halted, emptying of bladder content, blood vessels in the skin and visera contract, adrenal glands stimulate secretion of epinephrine and norepinephrine which increase blood sugar, blood presurre and heart rate.  These are just some of the changes that occur in the body. 

The fight or flight reaction prepares the body for physical reaction regardless of whether such action is neccessary or appropriate.  This day and age, it is inappropriate or unneccessary a lot of times.  The fight or flight response is a survival mechanism, but we don't want to induce this response constantly throughout the day for things like exams, get togethers, etc.

Sometimes you hear the connection between being sick and the clearing of the skin.  This could be because when a person is sick it means its a time for the body to rest.  Another connection could be working out and acne flare ups. There was a study done in the past that showed students acne had gotten worse during exam times. Yet another connection would be, why people have so much more acne here, in the United States, than in other countries.

I'm sure there is a world of connection between stress and acne if we looked deeper into our daily lives.  I remember going to my country and coming back 100% clear.  I never knew why until now.  I thought it could possibly be the water, the clean air or a number of other things.  The reason why i came back clear was because the life i was living in my country was so much more natural than the life i was living in the U.S.

When I first heard about the stress and acne connection a while ago, I really didn't know how to take it.  Was I suppose to meditate? Was I suppose to think positively?  At that time I didn't know I had to drastically alter my lifestyle.

- No loud music.

- Sleeping at 10 pm and waking up at 5 am.  Follow that schedule as much as you can or something very close to it.

-Something very important is to listen to your body.  If your stressed out you might need rest or a change in activity.

-  I do a lot of reading

- Take baths

-  i put the computer monitor and television further away from me so it affects me less than when its up close.

None of the things i do to reduce my stress is written in stone.  I am sure everyone will find different aspects of there lives to change in order to reduce their stress levels.  Please post those changes.

I realize that it is very hard, if not impossible, to have a stressful lifestyle and a clear mind.  So from a mental aspect, if you want to rid yourself of negative thinking or any other mental problem, you need to physically fix the problem first and then you will see how easy it is for your mental side to follow.  Another thing i realized is that I looked at my acne as so much more devastating than it actually is when my stress levels were high.

Take care for now

Guest Shjaker

Nice post.

Recently I've decided to change my diet, reduce my stress levels, exercise more [use up those damn hormones that plague me], and stick with my regimen.

Lately I've been like a Boot camp lieutenant to myself. Im like a schizo lol.gif

I'll start getting lazy and doubtful full of the whole "Oooh this is hopeless, I have acne and Im ugly and I'll never be good enough" and another side of me will pipe up and say "Not with that attitude you stupid, snot nosed girl! Shut the hell up and get off your ass! Whats the use in trying you ask?! Well whats the use in NOT trying?!"

Yep.. I officially have problems biggrin.gif

Good point except for I have a life. lol! Just kidding, but seriously, I have a job, school, etc. ... things to do. I can't keep myself hid away, protected from all these things. I think i deal with the stresses I do have pretty well. Your theory definitely can be true in many cases though. How bad was your acne to begin with?

hey thanks for positive responses again eusa_angel.gif especially to minny mouse

I have a few things i want to add.

Snowshoe, the changes that i made wouldn't hide you away. My changes are basically a list of a few things a person could do to reduce stress. It's not like before I sleep I make sure I followed every single rule on my list. It is there to give me understanding as well as to remind me, so when i do get stressed a few of the culprits could easily be exposed. I had mild acne, but i exaggerated the severity of it because of stress(mental/physical/emotional). They say, i believe, 90% of all hospital visits are stress related. So people don't kid yourself and make believe this is not a big issue.

Okay, most of the stuff on my list is about your physical environment. Let me mention something I tried that tremedously helped me mentally to reduce stress. First you have to understand there is only perception and no reality. The way you perceive yourself is very important to your overall wellness.

This may sound really weird and strange. I read out loud in a calm, normal speed (not fast) voice while looking in the mirror that i place infront of me(big mirror). Basically it's like doing a speech and looking up at the audience after or while reading a sentence, but instead of looking at the audience you look at yourself. This has given me a chance to really get familiar with the way i look, to accept it, to love it and to be really comfortable with it. I just finished reading a whole book doing this, so i just got done trying it myself. I feel this will really help bring down your stress since a lot of us worry about the appearance of our face. The book i was reading was Life Strategies by phillip McGraw. Excellent book... it will help you take control of your life and how you live from day to day. Some of the things he says are :

Life Law #2 You create your own experience.

Life Law #6 There is no reality; only perception.

Life Law #7 Life is managed; it is not cured.

This book is not just there to motivate you, but to teach you so many useful things that you could use for the rest of your life.

Take Care ... please post anything new you feel will reduce stress. Thanks byee eusa_angel.gif