Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kerouc101

Question for Subsicion vets

I have a large pit in the middle of my chin from a Restylane injection if you can

believe that. I now have a huge pit that several surgeons tell me should be

corrected from subsicion.

How large is the scar afterwords? Anything will look better than what's currently

there and this appears to be the lesser of two evils.

Pls advise and tks for youe help..

Tks, CH

I have a large pit in the middle of my chin from a Restylane injection if you can

believe that.  I now have a huge pit that several surgeons tell me should be

corrected from subsicion.

How large is the scar afterwords?  Anything will look better than what's currently

there and this appears to be the lesser of two evils. 

Pls advise and tks for youe help..

Tks, CH

I think I agree with everything LisaT wrote. I just had my second subcision 2 weeks ago. My first was a bit over 6 months ago and I have been so happy with the results. I only regret not trying it sooner. I don't think I can see any marks from needles. For the subcision I just had, I asked (begged) the doctor to do a scar he really didn't think would benefit (a long thin one), and I think I see a bit of improvement (though it is too early to be sure). Good luck to you! Can I ask you to tell us what kind of scar you got from Restylane and how that happens? Thanks!

CH, I am a big proponent of subcision.  I've had 6 rounds done on a variety of different types of scarring, and I am EXTREMELY happy with the results.  There is not really any scarring from the procedure except for maybe the entry points of the needle.  These are usually pinprick sized and hardly noticeable.  This of course depends on the skill of the doctor. 

One type of scar subcision doesn't work well on is icepick scars, or scars that are very narrow but deep.  So if the pit is an icepick, subcision may not work as well.  But if it's more saucer shaped, then I think subcision would definitely help!  Good luck!

My understanding about subsicion is that whatever scar that is present is

removed from insicions and the skin is basically 'stiched' back together.

Is this correct? 

No idea how Restylane caused this byt it was injected(at a ton of it) into the one

part of my chin that didn't have any lines.  I think so much was injected in such

a shallow manner that it didn't fade away in a normal manner.  Total nightmare..

-CH

Could you girls post some before and after subcision pics please, they would be very interesting to view given many posters on the board including myself report negative outcomes from subcision. These are some before and 15 days after subcision pics from a Docs website which look good at first glance but at 15 days post surgery I think most of that improvement is due to oedema so Im sceptical about how this guys face looks 3 months down the track not to mention the different light and  different angle.

user posted imageuser posted image

Edited by LisaT

That is an amazing difference in that guys face in the pictures. I think subsision is where they loosen the bound down scar with some kind of tools and it comes to the skin surface and excision is where they cut out the scar and stich the skin back together. It would only leave a tiny stiches mark if anything but someone with deep pits would much prefer that of course.

I had an excision done on a scar and it did make it go away but the greedy doctor charged 200.00 for it. According to this site it should have been about 50.00. hhhmmm

They injected the pit area with numbing stuff and you lay sideways on the table. All you can scence is tugging from the stiches but no pain. It was quick and I was very happy when it healed after the stiches were taken out. I would imagine if they were doing multiple excisions that they would put you under and probably a plastic surgeon would do it.

They tell you to wear a bandaid on the stitches in public but let it breath at home. If anyone wonders how you have stiches on your face for a 5 days.

I had subcision/ N lite , by one of the best dr Rapaport in NYC. Unfortunately I didnt see any improvement, it was only in one are and it was for a pitted scar. I have heard you have to do it several times to see any results.

Now i am looking into this punch elevation proceedure and researching the best doctors. I have read dr. Y in new orleans is the best but still waiting on feedback from others on him.

I've talked to at least two members who have argued that a filler is necessary after the subcision to prevent the scars from binding back down. Have any of you had fillers after subcision for this reason? Also, what about nLite or Smoothbeam in conjunction? Does this really help any after the subcision? Is it just a waste of money? The doctor who is doing my subcision believes only 1 or 2 sessions max is neessary and that fillers and nonablative lasers in conjunction are not. And at least two posters here have had moderate to good improvement with this doctor.

What dissapointed me about subcision? was that I saw no improvement after 2 treatments. I guess my own personal biochemistry is not condusive to producing new collagen even after several dermabrasions and laserbrasions. Ive concluded that individual biochemistry is perhaps  more important than Doctor skill in determining outcomes from collagen inducing treatments. Unfortunately many of us are going to go through pointless discomfort, inconvenience and expense of collagen inducing treatments when unbeknown to us our own personal biochemistry makes us poor candidates for such treatments. For myself and others like me the best treatments are punch floats, dermal fillers and scalpel excisions rather than collagen inducing treatments.

I've talked to at least two members who have argued that a filler is necessary after the subcision to prevent the scars from binding back down.  Have any of you had fillers after subcision for this reason?  Also, what about nLite or Smoothbeam in conjunction?  Does this really help any after the subcision?  Is it just a waste of money?  The doctor who is doing my subcision believes only 1 or 2 sessions max is neessary and that fillers and nonablative lasers in conjunction are not.  And at least two posters here have had moderate to good improvement with this doctor.

I've talked to at least two members who have argued that a filler is necessary after the subcision to prevent the scars from binding back down.  Have any of you had fillers after subcision for this reason?  Also, what about nLite or Smoothbeam in conjunction?  Does this really help any after the subcision?  Is it just a waste of money?  The doctor who is doing my subcision believes only 1 or 2 sessions max is neessary and that fillers and nonablative lasers in conjunction are not.  And at least two posters here have had moderate to good improvement with this doctor.

I've heard from almost, well, all, that n-lite is utter crapola.

The filler is interesting. How soon after subcision should it be injected?

Also, anyone having good experiences with subcision could you please list your Dr's name so others can benefit? Thanks!

That's a good question Emma.  I think it could probably be injected the same day as the subcision or the day after.  I would probably wait a couple of weeks myself.  I'll let you know how subcision turns out for me.  I am going with Dr. Jacob in Chicago.  If you do a search, the poster hols has had good results with her.

My doctor said that at my follow-up 6 weeks after subcision we could talk about fillers. I totally cannot imagine how a filler could be done on the same day. The site is bruised and swollen.

For the poster who asked, Dr. Rappaport did my first subcision and Dr. Robert Weiss in Baltimore did my second. Rappaport does a lot more of these I think. It hurt much less when he did it, I do have to say, and he took more time to give me aftercare directions, which I think is quite important. On the other hand, Weiss charges way less. He is a well respected doctor---I didn't just go to him for a bargain but it was nice not having to pay through the nose for something that is not certain to work.

Alice

With subcision the doctor should be using a tri-beveled needle which will cut the fibrotic threads of the scar and this will also induce clot formation underneath the scar. The clot formation is most important in elevating the scar area. In reality you are creating a scar under the old scar.Without a good clot formation it is unlikely you will have satisfactory result. Technique is important so as not to cause scarring form the needle and induce a good fibrin clot at the same time. I have had scarring from the needle adjacent to the scar in one subcision but the benefit to elevating my scar was worth it. Other subcisions I had worked with no adjacent scarring from the needle. No Vitamin E, Ginko Biloba, asprin etc should be taken prior to subcision. Careful gentle post care is needed.

People who are getting subcision usually have scarring that has damaged the basement membrane.These types of scars are not ever going to build the proper collagen placement. This is why I say it will have a scar underneath the scar to push the depression upward. Some lesser scars with subcision can just release the scars fibrotic threads and normal collagen placement can occur, in other words no new scar just a remodeling for normal tissue. But this is not the norm.

I think with a good subcision you won't need a filler in many scars. Subcision can release some scars so that a filler can be more esthetic. Other than this I don't see the point of a filler after a subcision.