Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey everyone, i'd just like to say a big thank you to all that responded to my online questionnaire about the psychological impact of acne and acne scars.

at the moment i am currently running through the data entry and statistical analysis but will disscuss any general findings in my subsequent posts.

-just some miscellaneous info ... i invited 523 participants in total, minus 50 who were invited at my university as part of a 'no clinical condition' participant sample, minus 4 of my close friends who i also asked to participate, ....equals 469 invitations to acne.org members, from which exactly (at moment) 145 members participated. In general, the response rate was close to 40%.

once again, thanks alot everyone, im doing my best to make sure it was worth it.

hope it's not too late, I meant to take it, and am taking it right now

one thing, for the question "Which do you believe are in control?" I believe a "both" answer should be included, cause I believe in both external and internal forces affecting ourselves, and I'm sure many other partly religous people do too.. not just one

hey i know what you mean, but the question is based on rotters 1961 principal of locus of control which ultimately divides of which do u believe more in...External: fate, gods will, destiny...generally the view that you are not in total control of life, and Internal: the view that you ARE in control of your life...i know it can be complicted, in that both may apply...e.g. no matter how hard you try at homework, even if its perfect, the result ultimately is in the hands of whoever marks it...so even if u think u r in control, u might not be... or opposite u might not really try hard, but the assesser gives a good mark because they are in a good mood...or too lazy to mark correctly etc... either way which way u believe can reflect how u may handle situations...so for the example above - either be happy/sad YOU did well, or happy/sad at other things...like the assessor...this can also relate to whether you will criticise yourself, or others...

as for being to late, well it is, but i'll enter you data anyway, (as tesco, a major shopping brand - like wallmart, says)'every little helps...plus i'd hate to think i wasted your time answering a questionnaire etc... that goes for others too... however the website that hosts the online survey can only allow me upto 250 responses, and so far i have 205 responses filled... 45 left... and it also means more data entry for me...but thats okay, its for the good of research.

Guest Keeley

Good luck with the write up! eusa_angel.gif

thanks, im really gonna need it, i have to manage to do the draft of most sections by the 16th but ive just got so much on... presentation on memory on the 10th, psychopharmological test on the 18th eusa_wall.gifeusa_pray.gif etc...hopefully i'll be okay though...(eye of the tiger music playing in my head lol).

Guest Keeley

You'll be ok! eusa_angel.gif Just keep at it... did you say that you were at wesminister??? I go to UCL ... I'm up the road from you lol! eusa_whistle.gif

Guest Amy Lee

Thanks too! Sorry I wasn't to reply to you via PM.

Good luck in your work! smile.gif

hey thanks eusa_angel.gif

Keeley - UCL, you must be booksmart cool.gif ... i know a old college friend who goes there... you might know her - should be 3rd yr - her name's Naf-e-sa - really clever (got couple of A s in A levels - u probably did too right... does law or psychology cant remember) - anyway hope you're degree goes well too - what do you do...law, history, ... ?

Amy Lee - Hey your welcome, im gonna post my general findings soon as i get a proper chance, my messenger inbox is full up, mainly because i had to have a backup way of knowing exactly who i invited to participate, and i have to keep this in case university assessors carry out a procedure (cant remember what is called..vivo vitro or something) where they ask to see some actual evidence as to prove i did the actual experiment rather than fake it...

Nevermind - Good question, - Although acne.org ppl are not completely the most representative sample for the general acne community - i.e. does'nt consider non internet users etc, in a practical sense, as a student researcher with no financing for the project (i.e. for a little incentive for participants etc) it allowed the easiest and quickest method of access to a large target population sample which would of been quite difficult otherwise, perhaps inconvenient too ( i.e. waiting outside a dermatologist's office and asking ppl face to face. Another bonus of the internet method of research is that the data can potentially be more valid due to the given fact that online, a general disinhibition effect allows participants to respond more fully and truthfully without the potential for experimentor effects (e.g. participants responding in ways they think they are expected too - classic example, attractive female researcher - males repond within macho stereotype, females with indirectly competive responding etc...i use etc too much right) anyway sorry for the mini-lecture, hope it explains a bit ...

take care everyone

i will post the results hopefully within the next 2weeks... delay to being really busy/dealing with alot of dam paperwork, not just ressearch stuff neither, anyway, take care everyone.

hey everyone, i know this is way off schedule...

summary results for study... some kinda obvious from speculation, but the data just lends some support to it/them...

acne scarred participants gave on average higher scores on measures of depression, anxiety, stress, and addiction compared to participants with acne and a contrast no facial condition group.

acne particpants gave on average higher scores on measures of perfectionism.

the last major finding was that both acne and acne scarred participants were more likely to express beliefs in an Internal locus of control.

a qualitative analysis was interpreted as to suggests atleast 1/3 acne/acne scar sufferers use addictive like behaviours to cope...sort off like surival strategies... categories of such behaviour were comfort behaviour like masturbation, or binging, entertainment use like the internet or videogames, maladaptive activities like drug or alcohol abuse, and lastly fixated behaviour like mirror starring or lethergy.

implications of such data suggests;

acne sufferers have probs with depression,anxiety, stress and addiction, but this worsens if scars develop.

perfectionism related to acne...perfectionism has been found to be high in 'over involved and controling' families ... suggests as to famillies backing off a little from acne sufferers and trying to make things relaxed then trying to fix things...characteristics of such fams...2 reactions to condition...either care too much and try to help = dependenacy, or treating sufferer negatively because impact it may have for them ... e.g. negative gossip from their friends or family etc...

high internal locus of control...perhaps those suffering from problems turn to religion for help, but dont see whether it works, so consequently believe that they are in complete control - there is good research that suggests as to faith having a positive effect as to keep peoples moods up. since suffers of these conditions are likely to have low moods, they are also less likely to have strong faiths. - my view different things work for different people - god must exists otherwise all those wishes of mine that have come true, and all those times i have made it when all odds were complety against me..they cant be coincidence...anyway, doing exercise and keeping a healthy varied diet can help moods - physiologically...

addictive behaviours ... stress coping stratergies like fight, flight/flee, and freeze... fight using comfort behs...flee using maladaptive activities or entainment use, and freeze by fixating.

okay im tired now... i will be happy to send my whole project dessertation to members at the end of june, just make a post on this forum post article... or email [email protected]

thanks again everyone, it was a pleasure(and ache) doing this research, hope this can help some how, i'll post again soon, i just really gotto start some work now, - got a psychopharmocological (f* long word) essay to do on alcohol addiction and treatment due for thursday...wish me luck y'all.