Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DonnieDarko

Bodybuilding effects acne?

I looked on the FAQ of this site and the nice gentleman said that eating more while working out to stimulate muscle growth could increase testosterone levels which would make acne worse. I have noticed that about a few months after I began my regime of eating more and working out often I did start to break out more. I was curious if anyone else noticed the same effect?

I am unsure that this is what caused me to break out. If it did, I would probably stop working out but how can I know for sure? I'd hate to lose progress and muscle for nothing.

Also does anyone know the effects of creatine on acne?

Thank you

I'm not sure myself, I've never tried bodybuilding. I think I hear more often that people break out than clear up. I've heard both though.

I never got a straight answer even if bodybuilding (serious bodybuilding I mean) affected growth, as far as like height. I hope we get someone knowledgeable about the matter in here, I'm curious too! eusa_angel.gif

For me working out doesn't break me out.. its bodybuilding supplements like protein or creatine that I took that made me feel like shit for months.... otherwise if you just eat normally and work out naturally.. it doesn't break you out and it's still makes you stronger....

For me working out doesn't break me out.. its bodybuilding supplements like protein or creatine that I took that made me feel like shit for months.... otherwise if you just eat normally and work out naturally.. it doesn't break you out and it's still makes you stronger....

It seems as though there are different causes of acne for different people. If you find that you break out more from weightlifting, then your cause probably is either excessive hormone production (androgens-testosterone) or hypersensitivity of the androgen receptors. In these cases, your oil glands are overstimulated and clogged.

Soy and/or Whey protein may be a culprit for some people that breakout after exercising if they using these proteins.

I looked on the FAQ of this site and the nice gentleman said that eating more while working out to stimulate muscle growth could increase testosterone levels which would make acne worse.  I have noticed that about a few months after I began my regime of eating more and working out often I did start to break out more.  I was curious if anyone else noticed the same effect?

I am unsure that this is what caused me to break out.  If it did, I would probably stop working out but how can I know for sure? I'd hate to lose progress and muscle for nothing.

Also does anyone know the effects of creatine on acne?

Thank you

I never got a straight answer even if bodybuilding (serious bodybuilding I mean) affected growth, as far as like height.  I hope we get someone knowledgeable about the matter in here, I'm curious too!  eusa_angel.gif

Well testostarone is your sex drive right? Since I have been working out more I have broken out worse than what I have in six months also my sex drive has increased. I am now stopping working out for a while and seeing if it helps.

Steven.

well so far my chest got this bad from working out so I don't know may be it affects acne in general but who knows may be not.

user posted image

well so far my chest got this bad from working out so I don't know may be it affects acne in general but who knows may be not.

user posted image

Well I've been powerlifting for around 3 years, and I only find that my acne flares up when i take a break from working out for a significant amount of time (2 weeks or more). My off season is 2 months each year, and I continually find my acne to flare up during this period. I don't take any supplements or use any protein powders, I usually just eat LOTS of egg whites/lean meats (turkey, chicken) for my source of protein. I have no experience with taking supplements so I'm not going to give advice on an uncertain subject. But I found when doing my powerlifting, about a month into my "on season" my acne would always calm down. Im going to start a new program at the beginning of May after a 2 week off period, and I might decide to get some creatine into my routine. If my acne flares up during this 2 week rest, I will then see if the creatine has a negative effect on me after I am into the new program.

Well I've been powerlifting for around 3 years, and I only find that my acne flares up when i take a break from working out for a significant amount of time (2 weeks or more).  My off season is 2 months each year, and I continually find my acne to flare up during this period.  I don't take any supplements or use any protein powders, I usually just eat LOTS of egg whites/lean meats (turkey, chicken) for my source of protein.  I have no experience with taking supplements so I'm not going to give advice on an uncertain subject.  But I found when doing my powerlifting, about a month into my "on season" my acne would always calm down.  Im going to start a new program at the beginning of May after a 2 week off period, and I might decide to get some creatine into my routine.  If my acne flares up during this 2 week rest, I will then see if the creatine has a negative effect on me after I am into the new program.

i don't consume as much as I should. When powerlifting you should consume approx. 1.5 - 2 grams daily per pound of body weight. Im 5'11 and weight 185 and I probably only get around 200g a day. Somedays I get less than 150 eusa_wall.gif I don't have any knowledge of protein powders and their effects on acne. I only know about what I do smile.gif

PS did you make good gains while using creatine? not just in size but in strength also? I dont really train for size, mostly raw strength

OMG, no not your abs, you are actually discussing your acne with us!  I'm in total shock.  Say, when you work out, what diet do you follow and what type of exercises are you doing?  This is something we are trying to figure out, whether it is certain exercises and/or diets for those that workout cause them to breakout.

So would you, and any other interested, post your Exercise Regmemin incl:

**Type of exercies & workouts

**Diet (regular diet, training diet)

**Supplements (specific proteins, vitamins, etc)

**Whether you brokeout more often or in new areas

Thanks

I was working out for a few months and was totally clear. I was drinking whey protein from GNC and eating foods loaded with protein such as tuna, chicken etc. After about 5 months I decided to bulk up and gain some weight so I ordered some weight gainer along with some very popular whey. After 2 weeks of bulking and drinking the protein I have had the worst breakout of my life. Hell, I am still breaking out though it is less severe as before but it's been a month since I last drank a protein shake. I am going to begine to weight train soon as well as doing some cardio to get back in shape but I can honestly say that I am not even going to touch that stuff again.

I find that after I do large body part work outs like squats, rows or bench I get a nice large pimple, usually on my chest or neck and ends up staying there for a long time. More than likely, it will get worse as I work out over the next week or so...The doxy Im taking is helping I think to get rid of the active ones, but who knows if its preventing them. I want some accutane

I can see many are like me. It's not the actual workout or the lack of it that have much affect and if they do nothing serious but its those damn supplements.. whether its weight gainers/protein/creatine... they're just HORRIBLE and even when you take them for a WEEK .. they punish you by like 2 months... its worst thing ever.

if you wanna work out best way to do is like Mike Self.. jus eat food that has high protein naturally and stay away from these damn supplements until we grow out of acne.

I was working out for a few months and was totally clear.  I was drinking whey protein from GNC and eating foods loaded with protein such as tuna,  chicken etc.  After about 5 months I decided to bulk up and gain some weight so I ordered some weight gainer along with some very popular whey.  After 2 weeks of bulking and drinking the protein I have had the worst breakout of my life.  Hell,  I am still breaking out though it is less severe as before but it's been a month since I last drank a protein shake.  I am going to begine to  weight train soon as well as doing some cardio to get back in shape but I can honestly say that I am not even going to touch that stuff again.

I can see many are like me. It's not the actual workout or the lack of it that have much affect and if they do nothing serious but its those damn supplements.. whether its weight gainers/protein/creatine... they're just HORRIBLE and even when you take them for a WEEK .. they punish you by like 2 months... its worst thing ever.

if you wanna work out best way to do is like Mike Self.. jus eat food that has high protein naturally and stay away from these damn supplements until we grow out of acne.

um I read that in dr. perricone's acne prescription so I guess it is true. He reccomends doing yoga but I don't know if guys get into that whole yoga thing.

um I read that in dr. perricone's acne prescription so I guess it is true. He reccomends doing yoga but I don't know if guys get into that whole yoga thing.

Don't use supplements then, they're for pussies anyways.

I do however sometimes take Whey protein shakes and stuff, just because it's an easy source of protein. 30g per serving just for one meal? Sure, I'll drink that. It's better than cooking chicken for 40 minutes and getting the same thing. Plus, I don't find them filling at all, to me it's like drinking a glass of water, so it means I actually get protein in me, but I don't feel full, so I can drink a shake and have some chicken at the same time.

Creatine is stupid. If you can't lift the weights without using Creatine, guess what? You need less weight.

I used to be very muscular, by genetics, but I got lazy and sat around, lost like 20 pounds of muscle. I could bench 195 in 7th grade (only 3 times, but still, good accomplishment for a 13 year old..) and now my regular 10 reps 5x is only 130 or something. It might not seem like much to you, but I garentee you, I was a huge kid back then, and now I'm not really. Don't get me wrong, I'll still kick your ass. lol.gif

I'm not huge into body building or anything, I just like looking good for ladies. Personally, the sight of huge muscles makes me sick, but the slightly muscular look is what I'm trying to get back now, I got 3 months until I go see my girlfriend for the first time in 2 years surprised.gif so I need to hurry. lol.gif

Anyways, enough rambling, working out doesn't break you out. It's excersize, which releases endorphins, which makes you less stressed, which means less break outs. Yes, stress does break you out, that is true. Try not caring about your face once, if you can, your skin may just get better. It sounds like new-age hippy bullshit, but back when mine wasn't so bad, I just ignored it and it went away completely. A mid-term broke me out horribley and I've never been able to ignore it since, so that doesn't work for me. I can't even look people in the eyes. lol.gif