Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
balloonhead

Try losing the Red mark treatments

Posted

I have about 2 or 3 active pimples on my face. But my red marks are still on my cheeks and they make my skin look as if i have bad acne - but i havn't! Its quite annoying, i know i have fairly clear skin.

I use BP as i find its the only thing that keeps me clear, i came off it a few times and pimples popped up everywhere! So if BP prolongs red marks what else can i do!?

I've tried delna's method and green tea toner combined, but this broke me out. I am trying to keep to a minimal regimen.

Maybe i should just keep using BP and hope i don't get many pimples - after all, my red marks do fade after about a month - which is a relatively short period compared to what some people have said.

I have only recently been able to use BP 4 nights in a row (my skin gets too dry, flakey). So if i just stick to my 4 nights on bp, 1 night off bp regimen, maybe i will become totally acne free. Hence after a month of being clear - no more red marks!!

This post doesn't really need a reply, i was just letting off some steam. Feel free to post comments, like. (basically what i'm getting at is, if you concentrate on stopping pimples and acne, you won't have any red marks after a certain period. Maybe all this extra treatment for red marks is aggrivating acne, and thus making more red marks.)

Posted

i think you're right. The red marks will fade, eventually. It gets frustrating, and it requires a lot of patience, but they will fade on their own sooner or later. It's just hard to see all those blasted red marks making you look as if you still have active acne when you don't. *sigh* But all these treatments may just cause more aggravation and irritation, and in turn, new breakouts. eusa_boohoo.gif

If people feel like trying treatments for their red marks, that's up to them. Personally, I think it's a waste of time because if there was a remedy for them, it would already be discovered and the person would be making millions from finally finding a solution. Bottom line, there is nothing out there that will magically make our red marks disappear.

More importantly, I think anyone with active acne should NOT be trying to treat their red marks because it will only make matters worse. More breakouts from all these experiments, which will only result in more red marks. Treat your active acne first. Then when you are completely clear, you can try solutions for your red marks. Although like I said, there is really nothing out there to treat them. It just takes time and patience for them to fade on their own...very, very slowly. sad.gif

Posted

I agree. I've tried different things to tackle my redmarks and NONE helped, even a tiny bit so I decided to drop it and just not put anything on my face.

My face actually looks better now and less red. I guess I was just irritating my skin.l

Posted

I think the most important thing is to wear sunscreen daily. I don't care if it is snowing out you should have sunscreen on at all times. Even through the clouds the sun will get to your red marks and re-darken them. If it takes 6-12 months and sometimes 12-18 months to fade naturally then it has to be extremely gradual. So gradual that you can't even notice that your marks are even fading. All you have to do is stay protected from the sun at ALL TIMES!!

Posted
I think the most important thing is to wear sunscreen daily.  I don't care if it is snowing out you should have sunscreen on at all times.  Even through the clouds the sun will get to your red marks and re-darken them.  If it takes 6-12 months and sometimes 12-18 months to fade naturally then it has to be extremely gradual.  So gradual that you can't even notice that your marks are even fading.  All you have to do is stay protected from the sun at ALL TIMES!!

Posted

Yes even if it's snowing. I am completley serious. Just because you can't see the sun out doesn't mean it's rays aren't shining through the clouds. The acne medication I use causes photosensitivity (skin becomes very sensitive to the sun) and I was working at a golf course and I was outside all day. It was raining out and I was outside weedwacking. lol, yeah my boss still had us outside even in the pooring rain. Anyways I was outside for like 3 hours and I came in and my face wasn't sunburnt but it was definetley red. That's just an example that the sun can definetley do damage to your skin even on cloudy days. I have had the same red marks on my right cheek for the past 4 and a half years. They did fade a little but not completley. I know if I was using sunscreen at all times every single day then they would be long gone by now. I have been using sunscreen and staying out of the sun for the past 3 weeks now and I plan to keep doing so. I really suggest everybody to do the same. If you can't find a sunscreen that doesn't break you out try the one on http://www.dermadoctor.com That sunscreen is expensive but it's supposed to be great.

Posted

Yup. You are da-a-a-a-a-a-ng right.

Posted

Wish my red marks went after a month. I wear an spf 15 make up every day and extra sunscreen on days when its not snowing (unlike today), heh, yet my red marks last for upwards of 3 years so I am absolutely disraught when I get a spot (even tho thats very rare now I use BP). I haven't noticed any extra time for red marks to fade using BP, its always taken years and years sad.gif

Posted

Grr.. i barely have ANY active acne! currently 3 whiteheads. but I have about 15 redmarks! I can't imagine how clear I would look if i rid myself of these damn things. But it seems that every time I get a pimple, no matter how I treat it, it turns into a redmark eusa_wall.gif Even if it is a very tiny papule, I do the baking soda/ACV method and then apply a little tea tree oil.. in a few days, no pimple left, but lingering redmarks

PS balloonhead, did you say that green tea toner helps redmarks or did it break you out further?

Posted

Hey,

I had THE EXACT same problem.. this is what I did:

I stopped using BP and decided to go on tetracycline TEMPORARILY, to keep me clear long enough to fade red marks...

I use Delna's method, green tea toner, followed by NeoStrata Daytime hydra-rejuvenating cream (similar to AHA, but more gentle and moisturizing)<-- after only THREE days of this and about a week of being off of BP my skin is looking and feeling the best it has in FOREVER smile.gif

Also my red marks are fading FAST, I woke up this morning and was amazed! They are about 50% gone now smile.gif

BUT.. its understandable if you do not want to go on antibiotics like tetracycline-- this is just what i am trying out, maybe it could work for you?

Hope all goes well with both your acne and red marks smile.gif and remember that they WILL fade it just takes time

Good Luck

-Tessa

Posted

I've been been using bp and while has it has cleared up my pimples, I have so many red marks on my chin area (that normally would have faded by now if I wasn't using bp) that I look like my acne is alot worse than it is. I've been using green tea as a toner, but it hasn't worked for me. So to me, the positives really don't outweigh the negatives, so I'm going to stop using it and go and see my doctor instead. I really hate acne, even if mine is only mild cry.gif

Posted

well i did the green tea toner the same time as i did delna's, and i broke out. so to avoid breaking out i just stopped both of them straight away

Posted

Balloonhead...

sorry to hear about your breakout... most ppl. that i have talked to have told me that the green tea toner actually helps with their acne. But everyone is different, so if it doesnt work for you dont use it. However, it could be delnas method that breaks you out.. i heard that the baking soda breaks ppl. outâ€â€this happened to WindWaker* and he suggests an alternative to the baking soda… http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=43684

If this doesnt interest you, i suggest cutting out the baking soda step, and vinegar.. your skin may be too sensitive. You could just use a simple cleanser, green tea toner and then moisturizer? that way its simple and your skin may be happier...

hopefully my suggestions/ideas help you out smile.gif

hope all goes well for you,

Tessa

Posted

Thanks for advice anyother girl. Hmm.. tetracycline? Is that more or less the same thing as mino but stroNGER? I've always hated taking antibiotics cry.gif , even if there is little or no side effects I just like to do things naturally cool.gif Well, for now I think I will keep on doing what I'm doing, and within a month or so if I see little to no improvement I will consider taking tetracycline. What is the average does given? Are there any bad side effects? I know when I was on mino my tooth enamel became very weak.

Posted

hey Mike_Self...

Im not too sure if tetracycline is similar to mino, I've never been on it. Is it an antibiotic? I've heard a some ppl. say that tetracycline causes a lot of bad side effects, but I've been on it before and never had any problems. Plus since my acne is mild it totally clears it up. Yea i dont like taking antibiotics either... but for now im doing it just until my red marks are gone, or are a bit better.. then im gonna go back to BP. I've heard a lot of ppl say they got 1000mg a day. i only take 500mg a day, but my acne is very mild.

hope this helps...

Tessa

Posted
hey Mike_Self...

Im not too sure if tetracycline is similar to mino, I've never been on it. Is it an antibiotic? I've heard a some ppl. say that tetracycline causes a lot of bad side effects, but I've been on it before and never had any problems. Plus since my acne is mild it totally clears it up. Yea i dont like taking antibiotics either... but for now im doing it just until my red marks are gone, or are a bit better.. then im gonna go back to BP. I've heard a lot of ppl say they got 1000mg a day. i only take 500mg a day, but my acne is very mild.

hope this helps...

Tessa

Posted
Does anyone know about any vitamins/supplements that speed the healing of red marks?? Any comments much appreciated.

Posted
Hey Mike_Self... I have heard that vitamin B5 helps with acne, but i wonder if it would also help with the healing of redmarks? I think I've heard that it does, but I cant remember for sure eusa_think.gif

anyone else know??

Tessa

Posted

More importantly, I think anyone with active acne should NOT be trying to treat their red marks because it will only make matters worse. 

Posted
Hey ive just started the regimen- but i dnt really have spots, just TONS of red marks, althought there are days when i bresk out real bad! i know what you guys mean when you say youd be clear without them... sigh sad.gif  What im saying is, should i go on the regimen still? will this worsen my redmarx? Its making my skin mega dry and tight, although helping! should i stop or continue???? eusa_think.gif I am wondering about the vitamin thing as well.... i heard zinc is good....

Posted
Hey Mike_Self... I have heard that vitamin B5 helps with acne, but i wonder if it would also help with the healing of redmarks? I think I've heard that it does, but I cant remember for sure eusa_think.gif

anyone else know??

Tessa

Posted

I've had good luck with aloe. I can appreciate the desire to have a minimal regime, but you've got to moisturize anyway, right? So why not use aloe? Make sure you use a really pure kind. My skin is quite dry in this winter weather so I just use mine under an SPF moisturizer during the day, but if you have oily skin you could just use the aloe at night instead of your regular moisturizer and skip it during the day. Don't get me wrong, it's not a wonder solution, but it's a cheap and easy way to get your redmarks to fade in about half the time.

I'm not sure how it would go on top of BP though. I don't use BP. I guess you'd have to let the BP really set before applying the aloe.

I'm also messing about with emu oil at the moment but because I'm using it in conjuntion with aloe I can't say for sure how well it's working. I know for sure about the aloe though, because I was using it for weeks before I added the emu oil in.