Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kool

New here.. should I ask for accutane?

Hi all I'm new here and I dont know if I should ask for accutane from my derm or not. I've had acne since I was 12, I'm 18 now and I'm just getting fed up with looking at my face. The thing is, I only have moderate acne. I mostly get blackheads all around my nose areas and stuff.. but then I get cysts on my forehead sometimes but they dont go away.. they get small for a long period of time and then they inflame again and I think the cycsts leave scars. I also get cycsts sometimes on my ears.. ACK! What do you guys think? I've been on minocyclin and it didnt work and made me sick, I've also been on a couple topicals and they worked a little bit but not to the effect that I am looking for. The only thing i'm worried about is that if i take accutane i'm going to breakout with cysts in spots that are clear and I dont want that to leaves scars. Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help you can give me!

Well man....from the sounds of it you only have some blackheads and a few cysts every now and then. Have you tried tazorac? It is actually pretty good stuff. A lot of topicals and other crap won't work on cysts cuz it's so deep and what not. But cysts aren't to be taken lightly. When I went on accutane I prolly had about 20 zits or something, most not real big, tiny little things...but then I had some deeper ones, like cysts. So I was given the title of "severe acne". So check with your derm and either try tazorac or maybe even go on accutane cuz there arn't a lot of things that can knock out cystic acne. Hope this helped

-Shawn-