Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
janelphoto

Severe Acne and Accutane

I am new to this site. My son has very severe acne. The kind that bleeds and pusses and hurts very badly. Anyone else? The pics I have seen mostly on here is one or two spots on the face, but not all over the chest, face, back and arms and shoulders. Anyone have it that bad? Looking for pics of before and after on Accutane if you have any.

Thanks.

perhaps you could post a picture of your son so that people here could evaluate his acne.

accutane taken for 5months at the max dosage will clear just about everyone.. and not just the face, all over the body

Guest Craigems

YEP i'm the one ur after. Chest back face neck everywhere. I unfortunantly dont have any pictures and now that i'm on accutane my acne is pretty much going. So all i can really do is talk about it :/ Yeh i had acne all over my face, neck back shoulders and down the centre trunk of my chest. The scarring its left me is pretty bad but thank goodness i'm on Accutane now.

As i said i didnt want to take photo's of me b4 i had accutane but i might see about my progress pictures now. Still too bad to take off my shirt in public :/ :'(

YEP i'm the one ur after. Chest back face neck everywhere. I unfortunantly dont have any pictures and now that i'm on accutane my acne is pretty much going. So all i can really do is talk about it :/ Yeh i had acne all over my face, neck back shoulders and down the centre trunk of my chest. The scarring its left me is pretty bad but thank goodness i'm on Accutane now.

As i said i didnt want to take photo's of me b4 i had accutane but i might see about my progress pictures now. Still too bad to take off my shirt in public :/ :'(

Hey, I'm on Accutane for severe, cystic acne. Although it only surfaced on my face, it bleed and pussed and hurt incredibly. I did have acne on my back for a short time period but realized that it was a reaction to laundry detergent. Like GO, I didn't allow cameras near my face during that bad period. I wish I had taken pictures because the difference from September to now is amazing.

It sounds as if your son is going through what we call the "initial breakout" where the acne gets worse before it gets better. My initial breakout took place around week six as well and I actually went off of Accutane for two months because it was so daunting. I was convinced that it wasn't working or I was having a very bad reaction. The breakout is normal. Be patient. It will pass.

Prednisone is an oral steroid that doctors prescribe when the initial breakout gets really bad. It will bring down the inflamation and hopefully, by the time he is off the steroid, the Accutane will have done its worse. The doctor put me on prednisone for twenty days. I just finished and my skin looks incredible. Really, if you had seen before and after pictures, you wouldn't recognize me.

Stick with it and you found the right forum to get information regarding your kid's situation.

P.S. I love it when parents post here. It is great to see so many of you supporting your children! eusa_clap.gif

My brother had severe cystic acne all over his face, neck, chest, back and shoulders.

He went on accutane, and for the first few months it seemed like it got 100 times worse. The cysts got enormous and they were all dry looking, and then one day... it just seemed like it stopped.

More than a year later, and my brother has amazing, AMAZING skin. I envy him so much. However, he did end up with some pretty bad keloid scars on his chest, back and shoulders, which will probably be there for forever. So watch out for those, please.

Hey,

I have suffered from pretty badly severe cystic acne and am just about to enter my 6th month on accutane. I wouldnt say i saw any what i regarded as real improvement till the 4th month but it does alter from person to person. I was also on prednisalone, like Arpazia. The only thing with it for me was that i suffered a bad breakout after the prednisalone which made my acne and cysts a lot worse.

Its very tough suffering from severe acne and going on the accutane journey but, being at the other end of it, i realise how incredible the results are that i have.

Like GO and Arpazia. I couldn't face having pictures taken of my skin then. Absolutely no way, but now, in hindsight i wish i had so i could just compare it to 6 months down the line.

All the best to your son. Tell him to keep on going.

Frankie smile.gif

Guest Craigems

I'm one of the very very lucky ones ... for some reason i didnt get an initial breakout... i think coz my white blood cell count was very high when i was taking accutane (probably as a result from having bad skin). I have about 8 indentations in my chest sad.gif some on my neck ... a lil bit on my face and nothing really on my back. I have had a lil build up these past 2 weeks ... noticed some smaller less sore cysts come up on my neck but they have dried up and gone already. Other than that just a couple of bumps on my face here and there. Ahh my chest is flat and my shoulders there are a few bumps and my back a few bumps here and there also. I do have to say i thank god accutane is working soo well for me soo fast.

As far as i'm aware especially for us body acne sufferers the results almost happen over night.... one day your looking bad on accutane ... then VOILA next morning everythings flat its pretty amazing. Tell your son to hang in there because once the results come generally about 1&1/2 to 2 months into treatment its much MUCH clearer from then on.

I am new to this site. My son has very severe acne. The kind that bleeds and pusses and hurts very badly. Anyone else? The pics I have seen mostly on here is one or two spots on the face, but not all over the chest, face, back and arms and shoulders.  Anyone have it that bad?  Looking for pics of before and after on Accutane if you have any.

Thanks.

You need to go to derm and get the photo book for Accutane. Those are the kids you are looking for. It includes before and after pics.

Hey, I'm on Accutane for severe, cystic acne.  Although it only surfaced on my face, it bleed and pussed and hurt incredibly.  I did have acne on my back for a short time period but realized that it was a reaction to laundry detergent.  Like GO, I didn't allow cameras near my face during that bad period.  I wish I had taken pictures because the difference from September to now is amazing.

It sounds as if your son is going through what we call the "initial breakout" where the acne gets worse before it gets better.  My initial breakout took place around week six as well and I actually went off of Accutane for two months because it was so daunting.  I was convinced that it wasn't working or I was having a very bad reaction.  The breakout is normal.  Be patient.  It will pass.

Prednisone is an oral steroid that doctors prescribe when the initial breakout gets really bad.  It will bring down the inflamation and hopefully, by the time he is off the steroid, the Accutane will have done its worse.  The doctor put me on prednisone for twenty days.  I just finished and my skin looks incredible.  Really, if you had seen before and after pictures, you wouldn't recognize me.

Stick with it and you found the right forum to get information regarding your kid's situation. 

P.S.  I love it when parents post here.  It is great to see so many of you supporting your children! eusa_clap.gif

Thank you all so much for replying. My son actually wanted to take a picture so he could see the progress. I have to get the photos developed and on a CD and then I will post if he wants me too. Before he got on the meds he did not have any breakout on his arms. Now it has shot out all over his arms down to his wrists. He had a dance to go to tonight and one popped out on his nose... go figure.... God bless his girlfriend, she is so supportive and they are only 15 years old. Much braver than I would have been at that age. I was more worried about going out on a friday night and getting drunk.... I got a great kid....

Oh, forgot to tell you all.....

Derm says to try Domboro for drying out the pustules.....it is an astrigent for rashes and other skin irritants.... it is on the expensive side... cost me 14.95 for 12 packets.... I used it once for myself when I broke out in this nasty bacne for about a week.. I went to the beach and whamo I broke out. I have never had a break out like that in my life! shock.gif I grew up at the beach ! Anywho.. it worked okay for me...