Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Messenger

Pantothenic Acid

I've read on this board where people say you should take this for acne.

However, I've looked into what the vitamin does, what its used for, and what it prevents and I've never found anything to say this is used to prevent acne.

I've also read where a poster said you should take 10grams a day, but everything I've read says if you take any more than 2 grams in a day you'll end up with diahreah.

So was this some sort of prank by someone to give people the runs?

Anyone have any input?

Thanks for the info. But I took 10 grams the other day and I had the runs. Does that go away as my body gets used to the high B5 intake?

Id love to have clear skin, but not at the cost of having the green apple splatters 24-7

shock.gif

don't take 10 grams right away! You're supposed to "work up" to it in like 2 weeks. First day take a few capsules, in a few days, take a few more, until you work up to 20 capsules per day in the end of the 2 weeks.

don't take 10 grams right away! You're supposed to "work up" to it in like 2 weeks. First day take a few capsules, in a few days, take a few more, until you work up to 20 capsules per day in the end of the 2 weeks.

I gotta try the whole b5 thing, but, does it really help? And instead of popping pills, I gotta whole bunch of Planters Peanuts that contain Pantothenic Acid, can I just eat a crapload of them? LOL j\kidding.

Thanks for the info.   But I took 10 grams the other day and I had the runs.  Does that go away as my body gets used to the high B5 intake?

Id love to have clear skin, but not at the cost of having the green apple splatters 24-7

shock.gif

"The most publicized benefit of pantothenic acid supplementation is acne reduction. This is based solely on the many writings of Lit-Hung Leung, M.D., that espouse the many benefits of pantothenic acid. His acne-reduction hypothesisis is based on numerous faulty and outdated assumptions"

"this study also involved combined treatment with B5 cream (which many proponents neglect to mention) and was also not controlled. Study conclusions, such as "more beautiful skin," also call the scientific merit into question"

"espite all of these objections, the overwhelming amount of positive user feedback on message boards and non-commercial websites leads one to believe that there may be something to this claim. Indeed, there are many other theoretical reasons in support of this idea. For one, acne is an inflammatory condition, and pantothenic acid has a pronounced antiinflammatory effect in skin tissue, even after oral administration to humans. Pantothenic acid also increases the level of zinc in injured and inflamed skin, and there is a wide research base indicating that zinc causes significant acne reduction both orally and topically. Pantothenic acid also effectively metabolizes many toxins, some of which may possibly play a role in the formation of acne. These effects, along with the possibility of accelerated lipid breakdown, provide a good theoretical basis for the effects which are commonly reported. The only thing that is missing is an adequately controlled study, but until then the present data, combined with the low price and toxicity of pantothenic acid, justify use for this condition in those that are searching for options."

http://www.1fast400.com/?articleID=46