Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nv_us

after dermabrasion

first off i hav visited this board a # of times, never posted, just looked around. at times it made me feel good to read some of the post, and other times it made me very depressed. but i decided to post, share my feelings and look for some answers to a few questions..

i had a full face dermabrasion done 12/6/04. i went in feeling that this would make my life so much better.. i couldnt have been more worng. my results are very very minimal to say the least. my scarring wasnt bad, and i was told so as well, and i left that this woul take care of most of it. long story short, it didnt, hardly any difference. i went in feeling on the downside of my scarring, and this day i feel about 100 times worse. i thought my skin looked unbelieveable when i removed the bandages for the first time, perfectly smooth, then the swelling went down, and back to reality. my skin peeled a few days later, and was just red.

now for some questions...

then about 4 days after that it peeled again, and again, and again, and again, and it has become super oily.. has anyone experienced this? the [email protected]#$$ Dr. wasn't really sure why it kept peeling and why i was so oily.. i mean SUPER oily.. I wwant to attribute this to the hydrocrotisone 2.5% lotion. not sure that this is the cause, but the peeling started a few days after and has contiued the entire time i have been on it. i have since stopped the hydro. and the peeling has pretty much stopped, but my skin still remains very oily. and not to forget i keep getting little pimples here and there. i got small stuff (mainly in my bread area) and slightly above my feyebrows before the surgery, now i get stuff all over. and not to forget areas of my skin that were very smooth are now slightly textured... could this be caused my the constant peeling, collegen, etc...????

i thought dermabrasion was suppose to help, and make u feel good... should have left well enough alone. maybe its my fault for putting so much into this and having such high expectations, i dont know, all i know is im right back mentally where i was when my face broke out about 8 years ago. i am now 26, and have finally woken up after so many years and realized that i am forever going to be like this and look this way. i thought.. well it will be better and everything will be fine when im older...well i am older and things are fine. all i do is sit and dream about the life i want to have, the life i should be living. i have allowed this "disease" to scar me outside, but moreso on the inside. i have allowed it to control everything in my life, everything. there isnt a second of each day that goes by that i dont think about it. I feel i will never be happy, never have what i want, and never be able to do the things i want to do. but the thing is, its not this thats preventing me from doing anything. its me!, but i feel there is nothing i can do. i have been beaten by the one person that was always there for me, myself! its sad when you are your own worst enemy.

so in conclusion, if anyone has some input on the questions i have, their dermabrasion healing process, or just support will be most appreciated.

thank you

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but certainly you didn't have this done by Dr. Yarborough? The three main ingredients for successful dermabrasion= skill, method, and depth.

I'm sorry you had a negative experience. I think maybe since dermabrasion sands off layers of skin, it can affect the sebaceous glands. What did your Dr. say regarding this?

As for how you feel, well, I think we can all relate. I think you just have to keep it in perspective while keeping hope. Does that make sense?

Question. Were you using aquaphor or vaseline from the beginning? Or did he just have you apply hydroquinone from day one?

I'm so sorry things didn't go as well as you had hoped. I want you to know however that there was a guy who used to post on this board who underwent dermabrasion and didn't see good results kick in until 7 months or so after the procedure. I hope this will be the case for you as well. I know it can be challenging, but try to stay positive.

thanks for th replies..had to go out of town. as for what i have been using after.. started off in bandages for about 2-3 days, then just wore polysporin ointment for 3-4 days after. it started to make me break out on my chin, kinda bad, so we laid off that, then went to a light facial lotion, and a fading gel. im still on that now.. i started the hydocortisone about 1.5-2 weeks after, and was on it for about 2 weeks, twice a day so as of now i just use a facial lotion, fading gel, twice a day, and sunscreen. i am still getting very oily, and peel slightly still around the cheek bone area., but not like before. The Dr wasnt entirely sure about why it was still peeling, and why i was getting so oily. I guess its that all people are different and will heal/react to things in a different way. as for the opeartion, i know it did good, but its just hard to see it.. having hopes of it being perfect, and not getting them, make u fail to realize the good, and only see the negative. i still feel that im seeing improvements. i try to look at myself in a mirror somewhere, then wait a week or so and look in the same mirror again. i do notice it getting better, little by little, i just dont want to say it.. i believe in the jinx!

of course after the operation you wonder... did i do something wrong, should i have seen another dr. etc... etc... i guess if one operation could magically make every problem go away then everyone would be doing it...wonder why they aren't?? also i cant remember who replied with that someone started to see good results after 7 months. im assuming this has to do with the collegen rebuilding itself, so to say? does anyone have some good info on this? anyways i have my god and bad days...1st post was a bad day.. i started talking with some friends, and it helps, most of them said they saw nothing wrong iin the first place, maybe they did but maybe they didn't. i feel we make are own problems about 100 times worse than they really are.

again thanks for the replies, and if anyone has more thoughts, info, etc.. its always appreciated

thanks

I too feel the same way as you do. I don't know how bad your'e scarring was, but mine was severe. I just under went my second dermabrasion and am at day 9. I see many of the scars reappearing as I did the first time. I know how disheartening it is, but it's just part of the process, you doctor should have thoughly informed you of this. I also am peeling quite a bit and if I can remember, I did from the first one also. I also dealt with the crazy oily factor. I'm not sure why it happens, but the doctor that performed mine informed me that that would happen, as would subsequent breakouts from new pores forming or something.

I want you to know that you are not alone, I feel the same as you do in regards to my scars and my life. It's really become a hinderance in the past year and a half or so, so much that it effects every area of my life. I am about your age, and I feel like this is the time where I should be having the time of my life and working towards the future, but all I can think about is that if I could rid myself of these awful scars then I can begin doing all of those things.

My friends and family also have told me that I worry about them way to much, when I wanted my first dermabrasion, they were kinda leary about letting me go through with it and told me that my scars weren't that big of a deal. Then when I told them I wanted to return for a second everyone tried to convince me that it was unnecessary. My friend called me the night before to wish me luck, but told me again that I was crazy and that she didn't think I needed to get it done. I've spoken to many other scar sufferers here and I try to tell them how I really believe that what we see in the mirror and what others see are two different things, please take that to heart and try to remember that.

It is true that it takes a few months for the collagen to fill in, I saw a big boost around month 5 from my first. And honey, like I've told others, if I noticed it, then it really must have been a big improvement, because for along time after my first dermabrasion I just keep seeing the old me in the mirror, the me before the dermabrasion.

My heart really goes out to you, because I've felt, and am back to feeling the way you do right now. I know it is difficult, but somedays will be better than others. Take the good days and cherish them, and try to find some way to get through the not so good ones. I come here a lot, sometimes it makes it better, sometimes it makes it worse. I try to do things to get my mind off of my scars whether it be relaxing, reading, watching movies, going out with friends to a small bar for a good night of just hanging out, or doing things to improve other parts of me inside or out.

I really feel for you as I do everyone in this situation. Once the swelling went on my last laser resurfacing i went thru the same pain again as each scar came back, only slightly flatter. I think any of these procedures only produce minimal improvement unless you're lucky and it must take 4-5 major procedures before you get anywhere near the 90% improvement pot of gold.

One thing i have noted from having multiple laser treatments is that there are definitely stages of improvement however subtle and i noticed improvement in my skin for up to 18 months following the procedure. about 3 weeks ago i thought i had around 80-90% improvement but now its looking more like 70% after 3 laser treatments. I'm keeping the faith though because I know that in 18 months my skin will have healed properly.

Its hard to know what to say other than I understand everything you have written about having scars and bad skin and none of us is alone. Don't beat yourself up about beating yourself up either - it's the most human and understandable thing.

Just because your first dermabrasion wasn't great doesn't mean a 2nd won't help a lot more (with the right doctor...Dr Y cough cough).

I'm going to try the acid peel/copper peptide treatment for a year and see if that helps, although even now I'm wondering if I should go see Dr Y myself or maybe go for a risky 4th laser resurfacing. At least if you've got a plan you've gto something to aim for.

good luck in whatever you do...

That's a very good point, I almost cancelled my second, because I thought that "well, the first one didn't do EXACTLY what I wanted it too, why go through with another", but I am very glad that I did, only time will tell I will give a full year before I make my judgments on improvements, I promised myself I would because it does stimulate the collagen to rebuild and it happens anywhere from 3 to 12 months.

I hear ya, bro... I'm 36 & would have thought this would have been over LONG ago. My skin is much better than when I was in my teens & 20's, but I still harbor nagging feelings about any small pimples, facial redness, ingrown hairs & the light scarring I have on my cheeks. If I could be objective, I would know that it really ain't so bad at all... it's being objective that's the elusive thing.

I wish I could have back all the time I spent/still spend stressing about the condition of my face. It's really a waste.

I've been through many medications, microdermabrasion, blue light therapy, rudy-red light therapy, peels, etc. Some worked to a small extent, but not the lasting results I want. Maybe I'll try dermabrasion, but another high-dollar letdown would crush my spirit, I feel.

Good luck to ya...