Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
girlrwoman

Why isnt collagen best solution?

So I figured out it is temporary, you know 3 - 6 months time range.

So after 6 months will the depressed scar become back to normal or be worse than before?

If it just comes back to normal, it is safe to have multiple collagen injections in the same spot, then isnt it the best solution?

You maybe spending a few thousands per year for let us say 3 collagen injection sessions per year, other than that what is bad with it.

As compared to other treatments which have risk of further scarring, have more down time.

I heard collagen injections have no down time at all.

Please advise if any of the things above I posted are incorrect?

I am thinking of just keeping collogen injections for the rest of my life?

Am I stupid, is there something I should know???

Also when the collagen starts loosing the effect, will the scar come back gradually or all of a sudden?

Thanks for all the info...

Luv...

I think everything you wrote is correct. It seems like most of the negativity about it is that it is so temporary. And for some people it seems to be really temporary. I've heard a couple people claim their collagen injections lasted only a few of weeks. Not sure why that would happen.

I did collagen injections, about 4 sets in a bit over 2 years then started looking for something permanent. I had a bad dermabrasion that left me with scars and enlarged pores which are not quite right for collagen, so I am basically stuck looking for a way to get my skin good enough to just go back to the collagen. So, to me it seems better to stick with something good but temporary than to do something permanent but bad. You know?

For me the collagen loss each 6 months was very slow and gradual. There was no problem getting collagen in the same place repeatedly. Each time, there was a tiny bit of redness and swelling, so there was about a day of downtime. Another potential downside to collagen is the possibility of little temporary lumps. Sometimes, I would get a little lump or 2 in my skin which would go away in about a day or 2. My doctor told me that she had never heard of this, but an intern in her office told me she had heard older women who got collagen for wrinkles talk about getting lumps and thinking it was related to stress, coffee, alcohol, too much sun and some other things. Anyway, the lumps were not a huge deal. Hope this info is helpful. Good luck to you!

Thanks alice,

That was very helpful. Yaa, I too am afraid of dermabrasion cas after years of acne medicines, I do not think my skin can recover from such a bloody procedure, I am sure there will be more scarring after that.

Once I had a really deep microdermabrasion, you know more deep than the usual "micro" level, the aesthetician casually commented that it was because of a "new machine", bitch, that actually caused 3 more depressed scars, would you beleive it. It was so painful, walking out with a bleeding face sad.gif.

So I have decided to have anything except dermabrasion.

I am hoping to just keep getting collagen injections till someone finds a permanent collagen filler.

How many scars did you have injections for ( 10, 20 ??) and how much cost for each time (1000, 2000, 5000??). Just want some ballpark.

Also is the collagen effect satisfactory for the short term, like would you see your depressed scar improved by about 80% ???

Thanks...

I had 2 large boxcar scars and one rolling scar and several little pock marks injected. It cost about $250 for a syringe (2cc, I think), and I think we used the whole thing every time. The improvement was awesome--about 100 percent for the first month, then dwindled down. The rolling scar reappeared much faster than the others. I never let my scars reappear entirely--I got reinjected about every six months but probably could have gone a bit longer before my scars were completely back to how they had been. Your doctor should do a small patch test for allergy before he does your whole face---I think this is pretty well known.

Lots of regular old derms do collagen now. I had mine done 3 times with Dr. Bruckner in Mclean, VA and once with a derm in Raleigh, NC (when I went down there for school), but cannot remember his name. Both did fine. I know that they do collagen and restylane at maryland skin laser and vein (I think that is the name of the practice of Drs. Margaret and Robert Weiss) near Baltimore. They are very well respected derms.

Girl,

Why not do Restalyne instead of collagen? It lasts twice as long. I too had the lumpies from collagen injections and didn't experience exceptionally well filled in scars. I only did the test syringe in my scars because only 2% of people are allergic to it.

I think the major drawback of these fillers is that they are never going to give you better skin. It will just appear better if the injections are maintained. I think a syringe at my dr's office was around $400. I don't think it would go far but if you only have a couple of scars they can store your syringe for you if you don't use it all.

Why not try some lasers before doing this?

Good luck

girlrwoman, the scars will reappear gradually. That is the bad part about most fillers. (The look right before your next injection) I have had Restylane for about 5 months, and even though it's really lasting a long time for me, a couple of my largest scars are sinking back in and starting to look awful. I think that the best reason to try collagen or Restylane is to try out the look as a precursor to longer lasting fillers, as well is a doctor's injection technique. The best use of the short term ones is probably to fill in laugh lines. biggrin.gif

Thanks ppl for the replies.

The thing is I have brown skin and doctors have refused to do laser on me, because it is not suitable for this skin type, because of some pigmentation problems or something like that, so the doctors told "the risks outweigh the benefits".

So laser is gone, then comes dermabrasion. That has same risks, plus I am scared since it is so bloody.

That leaves punch float , excision, fillers etc. If punch float, excision do not have any pigmentation problems for ppl with brown skin, then I will try that, I hope at least that is permanent...

Interesting thread cos I've often had the same thought myself.

I think that collagen/restylane is a good idea for depressed acne scars for several reasons. For the type of scars it is most indicated for i.e. rolling, most people are going to see instantaneous results. Maybe not perfect but definite good improvement. And when you consider that good results for acne scarring tend to not be that frequent this is an avenue worth exploring IMO. Most people are put off thinking "how expensive, am I supposed to pay that sort of money for the rest of my life?" But then when you consider the limited results from say something like dermabrasion as well as the butchery involved, collagen starts to sound more appealing and safe. Could you spare that £1500 a year? Thats the question.

I'll leave you with an uplifting quote about the not-necessarily temporary nature of bovine collagen. It has been shown that in conjunction with isolagen in many people it remains indefinietly. How this is so I don't know but take a look at the report

Autologous cultured fibroplasts as cellualr therapy in plastic surgrey - William Boss, Hakan Usal, Gregory Chernoff et al

"The use of Isolagen with bovine collagen has extended longevity of the bovine collagen for an indefinite period in many patients"

I am considering having restylane done in the near future. I have read that it is not quite as effective for acne scarring as collagen, even though it lasts longer. My derm told me that I have at least one scar that would respond well to a filler.

As far as the money is concerned---I am very sensitive about my scars and it would definately be worth the money to me.

I can spend about 3000 dollars per year, not that I am rich or something, I will probly have to cut out my other expenses a lot for that.

But if 3000 dollars per year can give me peace for 1 year then I will take it. The only concern is will it really work or is it a rip off, will skin get more damaged by the injections etc etc.

I had my face injected with Hylaform (like Restylane but newer). Dr. Moy at UCLA did it and he has done many Restylane injections and thought Hylaform would work better for me in my case.

Before this, I've had 8 smoothbeam sessions over a year (where I have gotten improvement of I would guess about 50% overall). All were on a level 12 to 14. Definitely help smooth out skin and reduce oil.

I got the Hylaform injections for the bigger depressed saucer scars that Smoothbeam had no effect on.

Anyway, I just not a 9th Smoothbeam session - about 3 weeks after the Hylaform injections. I'm wondering what effect Smoothbeam will have on the injection sites. So far, the largest site seems OK, but one of the sites is still red 6 days after the Smoothbeam procedure.

The good news is the Smoothbeam seems to have "pumped up" the Hylaform injections (after they had gone done a bit since the original injections although it had only been 3 weeks)

Anyone have any experience on Smoothbeam's effect on sites where we've had injections?

I wonder that. Once you get an injection, what are the dos and donts over the spot. Obviously you will rough it up a lot while washing, scrubbing face etc.

Can you put retinoids over it to further simulate collagen, can you put other creams .

And eiououuuu, what if you get one more acne over the injected site, it is so gross even to think, would the injected material just ooze out of the pimple all day...