Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
krazykowgirl

The best thing about accutane!

Mostly lurker here, but I'm so happy I just wanted to share.

I just finished my 3rd month on accutane (60mg daily) and I would say my acne has been reduced by about 80%. While that itself is great, I'm just LOVING that my face is no longer oily!!! I have never had regular skin since I was about 12. I'd put on make up and 2 hours later I'd look awful from getting oily and then trying to blot it over and over. I took tetracycline for about 3 years and it kept my skin fairly clear, but it was still always oily. I'm simply amazed that I can apply make up in the morning and have it look just as fresh as when I applied it after dinner. Was anyone else surprised by this? Oh, and I'm also loving waking up in the morning and not having oily hair. I can go get coffee before I have a shower and not worry about looking hideous. I can deal with the little breakouts now and know that I can cover them and they will stay beautifully hidden all day. Anyways, just wanted to share my happiness, I know you guys understand things like this. eusa_dance.gif

Laurie

Guest Craigems

Good stuff this Accutane isnt it. Yeh ... the makeup thing ... cant really comment there i wish i could hide but guys just wearing makeup in general just isnt the best thing i guess so unfortuantly no comment here smile.giftongue.gif

Laurie, I TOTALLY know what you mean about the oily skin/hair! I was exactly the same as you before, I'd have to blot my face after applying makeup just an hour beforehand. At college between every class I'd have to blot with paper towels and they would be wet with oil (literally wet!). After about 2 weeks on Accutane, my oil production was MUCH less and it was amazing. I can do my makeup before working an 8 hour shift at a restaurant, and I don't have to touch it up once. Not ONCE!! Being less oily has made my makeup look 100x better, honestly. Even my eye makeup! Since I'm less greasy, even my eyeliner and mascara stay put all night and don't smudge. For the first week, I'd go to the washroom at work and just look at myself in amazement and think, holy crap, I cannot believe my skin looks normal still. Amazing, amazing, amazing!

Thanks for sharing your story, as you can see I can definitely relate smile.gif

Mae biggrin.gif

(I'm just starting my third month, by the way!)

I'm 3 weeks into my Accutane & have noticed a drastic difference in the oil production in my hair and face. I've been using a Bobbi Brown moisturizer because the area around my nose gets dry and that's working great.

Anyone have suggestions for the chapped lips? I think I've been through 3 tubes of lip balm already. The corners of my mouth are really cracked and dry. Carmex makes it worse (for me). Some stuff by Neutrogena seems to be working okay.

I'm also starting with flakes in my hair. For the first time in my life (26 years old) I have bought a bottle of Head and Shoulders! redface.gif

Mostly lurker here, but I'm so happy I just wanted to share.

I just finished my 3rd month on accutane (60mg daily) and I would say my acne has been reduced by about 80%.  While that itself is great, I'm just LOVING that my face is no longer oily!!!  I have never had regular skin since I was about 12.  I'd put on make up and 2 hours later I'd look awful from getting oily and then trying to blot it over and over.  I took tetracycline for about 3 years and it kept my skin fairly clear, but it was still always oily.  I'm simply amazed that I can apply make up in the morning and have it look just as fresh as when I applied it after dinner.  Was anyone else surprised by this?  Oh, and I'm also loving waking up in the morning and not having oily hair.  I can go get coffee before I have a shower and not worry about looking hideous.  I can deal with the little breakouts now and know that I can cover them and they will stay beautifully hidden all day.  Anyways, just wanted to share my happiness, I know you guys understand things like this.  eusa_dance.gif

Laurie

I agree, I am so happy that my oily skin is reduced.

Off late I started taking Vit E pills and felt my skin a little bit oily again, so I will drop the vitamin E.

But really I love accutanes effect on the oily skin, it rocks!!!!, I so wish it could be permanent.

I only got to see the yellow color pill so far smile.gif, but I love its packaging, the packet looks so cool to open....

Yep. No complaints here either. I'm 3 weeks into Accutane, 26yo and so far I've had minimal discomfort during the treatment, and I don't think that discomfort was linked to the 'tane anyway. The oil on my face has is now within what I'd call 'normal' range, enough to keep it moist, but not enough if I touch my own face that a slick of oil is on my fingers.

Also, I'm only three weeks in and my blackheads are starting their long journey to the surface of my skin already. Wow. I thought I would have these things for the rest of my life (baring going to try and get them extracted) as cleansers and pore strips never did anything. Last night it and ran my fingernail over my nose and managed to extract three of them, with minimal force. There's now a smooth patch on my nose haha.

My complexion all over my face has evened out as well. So far accutane and my skin are getting along swimmingly!

Also, in three weeks I've only had one new spot on my chin, and it's not that big either! eusa_dance.gifeusa_dance.gif

I know what you mean. I go on and on about it in my log to the point where I sound like I am a broken record. It really is the best thing to happen to my face. I cannot remember having normal skin. I was so oily. I love the makeup staying on so well like Mae said. biggrin.gif

i am certainly a candidate for accutane, considering i've never seen anyone as oily as i am...it is out of control and i want to finally try it...my mother is making a huge deal about it cuz she sucks like that mwaha. is accutane the only thing left to control the nonstop oil/acne? i would like to think there's something else out there, but by now i don't. anyone have advice about how i should convice? thanks

hazel,

accutane only reduces oiliness as long you take it . Oiliness will come back once you stop as I mentioned in my post above, I dread that day sad.gif.

If you want to control your oily skin forever, use topical retinoids, that will keep your oil glands shrinked as long as you keep applying it.

You cannot keep taking tane for more than 16 weeks, but you can keep using the topical retinoids forever. Hope it helps...

And yaa it is supposed to help with mild acne too smile.gif

Yaa, but only for about 2 months, the medicine is stored in your liver, and any liver detox procedure will get it out or the liver will throw it out by 2 months automatically...

I heard for normal ppl, the oil glands will have long term damage, but for chronic oily skin ppl like us, the oil glands will come back with full force soon after that...

hazel,

accutane only reduces oiliness as long you take it . Oiliness will come back once you stop as I mentioned in my post above, I dread that day sad.gif.

If you want to control your oily skin forever, use topical retinoids, that will keep your oil glands shrinked as long as you  keep applying it.

You cannot keep taking tane for more than 16 weeks, but you can keep using the topical retinoids forever. Hope it helps...

And yaa it is supposed to help with mild acne too smile.gif

can't you just never stop taking it?? i don't understand why you have to stop, besides health risks or something...damnit if someone feels it's necessary to keep on taking it, then they should be able to

If you keep taking it there is a small risk that you will die or go nuts or your liver will explode smile.gif, plus no derm would do that.

But if reducing oily skin is your only concern, do not despair , topical retionoids are your answer!!!

In the link below, there is a section on retnoids

http://www.aaaskindoctor.com/oilyskin.html

I have used differin gel 0.1% in the past and when I use it every night, the drying effect is almost almost similar to that of tane.

My derm would happily keep prescibing it to me forever unlike accutane...

UnluckyGuy...Your information is 100% wrong. You should probably stop talking as if you're an expert on the subject, people are gonna be gullable and believe what you're saying, which is of wrong.

Which information I posted are you talking about ? The accutane effect on oil glands being temporary, accutane continous use being dangerous or the effect of topical retinoids on oily skin?

The only thing where ppl might disagree and they have already, is the effect of topical retinoids on oily skin. I posted my experience as well as what the website said and I am pretty sure they are correct.

Even if I am wrong in the topical retnoids part, it makes my information no were close to being 100% wrong.