Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
juicer

New drug for the treatment of acne

Seems promising. Do a google search, and you can find more information on it. It's in phase II clinical trials right now, and it's purported to be as effective as low dose accutane without all the side effects. In fact, zileuton has a great safety track record. Below are excerpts from an article published in the Archives of Dermatology ( Vol. 139 No. 5, May 2003).

A New Concept for Acne Therapy: A Pilot Study With Zileuton, an Oral 5-Lipoxygenase Inhibitor

"A gradual and time-related reduction in inflammatory lesions and acne severity was observed (Figure 1 and Figure 2). This observation was significant by 2 weeks compared with baseline. The mean reduction in inflammatory lesions was 71% at 12 weeks (95% confidence interval [CI], 54%-89%; median reduction, 75%; P = .007). Likewise, the acne severity index was suppressed at 12 weeks (mean suppression, 59%; 95% CI, 28%-75%; median suppression, 63%; P = .01). There was a trend in reduction of noninflammatory lesions (mean reduction, 36%; 95% CI, 6%-66% at 12 weeks; median reduction, 14%; P = .09). Total sebum lipids were also significantly suppressed, showing a mean reduction of 65% at 12 weeks (95% CI, 29%-100%; median reduction, 47%; P = .04). Free fatty acids (mean reduction, 78%; 95% CI, 65%-90%; median reduction, 58%) and hydroperoxides (mean reduction, 74%; 95% CI, 53%-95%; median reduction, 72%) in sebum were markedly but not significantly decreased at week 12. Leukotriene B4 levels in blood were not affected by the treatment. The reduction of inflammatory lesions strongly correlated with the reduction of total sebum lipids (P<.001; r2 = 0.81) and free fatty acids in sebum (P<.001; r2 = 0.82)."

"The reduction in sebum lipids was greater than that seen with an antiandrogen-estrogen combination of cyproterone acetate (2 mg) and ethinyl estradiol (35 µg) (Diane 35; Schering, Berlin, Germany), which is not associated with a reduction in skin surface P acnes. Sebum reduction of 60% or more is also associated with considerable clinical benefit as seen with Diane 35 combined with additional cyproterone acetate and oral isotretinoin. The correlation of total lipid and free fatty acid reduction in sebum with that of the number of inflammatory lesions could be relevant and indicates that certain lipid fractions may exhibit proinflammatory activity on the pilosebaceous unit."

The article also contains a before and after photo of a patient with severe acne. I wish I could post it, but I don't know how to. But after 12 weeks of treatment with zileuton, his acne was considerably better!

Actually, zileuton is in phase III clinical trials. They are still actively recruiting patients. You can find out about it at www.clinicaltrials.gov. Moreover, the drug is slated to be released under a different name sometime in July 2005 (zileuton has been out for the treatment of asthama for quite some time). I'll try to get those pics posted.

Here are the figures from the article.

Figure 1. Efficacy of zileuton, an oral 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor in inflammatory acne. Significant reduction of the number of inflammatory lesions (A) (P<.01 for all), the acne severity index (B) (P<.05 for weeks 4, 8, and 12), and the total sebum lipids obtained before 12 weeks of treatment © (P = .04). The mean (SE) values compared with baseline are presented.

Figure 2. Efficacy of zileuton, an oral 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor in inflammatory acne. A patient with papulopustular acne before (A) and after (B) 12 weeks of treatment.

post-18834-1105257714_thumb.jpg

post-18834-1105257730_thumb.jpg

post-18834-1105257742_thumb.jpg

post-18834-1105257714_thumb.jpg

post-18834-1105257730_thumb.jpg

post-18834-1105257742_thumb.jpg

Oh by the way, I found other leukotriene inhibitors on the market that many patients have found tremendous success with. They are also used for the treatment of asthma, but works for acne as well. They are Singulair and Accolate and both are much safer than accutane. I'm curious if anyone's dermatologist has prescribed these particular drugs.

I was reading about this the other day funnily enough somewhere else but there wasnt much info about it. Sounds quite promising, Although there is a dramatic difference between the before and after photos, the user is still a long way from being clear

Thans for posting all of this! smile.gif This could be a great alternative when it comes to market in July. I wonder if they know how long the results last.

When someone posts medical journal transcripts they aren't selling anything.