Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is there a average age that most people have acne disappear at? I know for most people, if they were over it they wouldn't be reading these forums but still..

I know most people attribute it to puberty, and i've heard some mention that it tends to leave around the end of your teens.. I just turned 19 though, and my acne is still awful. I've had it for around 5 years now. Having nightmares that I might be one of the few people who end up with it their entire lives.. cry.gif

Holding out on trying accutane.. hoping it will go away on its own pretty soon, other treatments haven't really helped. my mom has a friend whose son has a lot of mental problems (depression, suicide etc).. she blames it on accutane, but who knows if that's true.

Guest Brandon

I'd suggest you take care of that shit right away and go nuclear with Accutane. It is my belief, that only high doses of 'tane MAY cause depression.

As far as if acne ends at a certain age, no. Everyone is different. Most people do see it in their teens, I guess because of the spike in hormones like testosterone. Don't wait for it to leave. Grab the bull by the horns!

"It is my belief, that only high doses of 'tane MAY cause depression. "

I personally don't believe it causes depression at all but, if the drug did, any dose would probably cause it. Also, Accutane has unknown possible harmful effects on the body years after acne (it hasn't been studied enough yet) so it's really not useful for every person on the planet to go on it.

ask your relatives, parents older siblings. That will give you a general idea.

I'm 20 and still have it. A derm told me acne lasts in the the mid 20's a lot more then in the past.

If your acne is severe and you have tried the general antibiotics route (6 months minimum) then try accutane.

byz

Guest Brandon
"It is my belief, that only high doses of 'tane MAY cause depression. "

I personally don't believe it causes depression at all but, if the drug did, any dose would probably cause it. Also, Accutane has unknown possible harmful effects on the body years after acne (it hasn't been studied enough yet) so it's really not useful for every person on the planet to go on it.

Also.. Accutane isn't a miracle drug, I was on accutane and about a year later my acne came back. It also causes ALOT of bad side effects that aren't too fun.

Disappears in your early 20s. My brother had pretty bad acne started from 7th grade. He didn't give a shit though, he never used any products or anything. Now, I just noticed recently, that he has really nice skin (no acne). He's about to turn 21.

my parents get the odd cyst still, but it ain't acne. Mine has gone down from severe to moderate at 20 years of age.

A derm told me acne is not likely to ever go away completely for severe people, I mean it will be very very mild in your 30's+.

I'm almost 29 and I still have acne.. though it's no where near as bad as it used to be (it started when I was about 13).

I personally wouldn't use accutane. I hate my acne, but I don't want to put my body through hell, for the sake of clear skin. But that's just my personal choice.

I suppose many people do see an end to acne in their early 20s.. sadly, I'm not one of them!

My mother also suffered with acne until her late 30s/early 40s