Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, so face skin peels while on accutane right, so what the hell is wrong with it eusa_think.gif ??? as long as it does not physically hurt or pain...

Wouldn't new skin come under the peeled skin, will it not help fade red marks faster, wil it not help even other forms of scarring a little????

Its not that there is a "hole" after the skin peels, new skin forms below it.

After all we are supposed to spend even more in peel treatments like acid, microdermabrasion etc etc right, that is what the docs want us to do..

And we are paying for accutane like crazy and one of its effects is to increase cell division and collagen, so why not get the full benefits as a sweet package deal????

Think about your lips, why are there never scars on the lips no matter how many times it blisters, how many times you bite, how many times you hurt it accidentally.It peels even without accutane and most ppl never even worry about it , I never did.

So skin peeling is good, it is just exfoliation , why stop it using moisturizers!!!!

I AM COMPLETELY WRONG IN EVERYTHING I POSTED ABOVE, I AM POSTING THIS JUST TO AVOID USING A MOISTURIZER SINCE I AM PARANOID ABOUT ALL MOISTURIZING CAUSING PIMPLES, SOMEBODY PLEASE STOP ME BEFORE I GO INTO A SUICIDAL SKIN PEELING FRENZY BY TELLING ME THAT I AM DEAD WRONG!!!!.

I am not crazy yet smile.gif, but the reason I am posting something like this might be an indication of accutane messing up my mind a little, just kidding smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I don't like moisturizing either.

You came up with a great excuse not to moisturize! biggrin.gif Good for you!

Next time I go out on the street and find a walking stop sign, I'll know who that is! lol.gif

Not that I want you dead. I enjoy reading your posts and I think you are one of the most supportive and entertaining people on this forum. You would be missed. But - - if you must exfoliate, use scotch tape. I know that sounds incredibly strange but it works pretty well. Another thing that I’ve been doing is using Cetaphil cleanser and a little bit of apricot scrub together. I try to basically dilute as much as the scrub as possible but still get rid of the extra dry skin.

And, speaking of how screwed up some doctors are, my first doctor insisted that I not moisturize at all since I wanted my skin to completely dry out. My skin isn’t nor has it ever been excessively oily. I’ve always suffered from the middle of the road combination skin. I do notice a difference from drinking water and taking vitamins.

Since I’ve gotten two new pimples after using Cetaphil’s green bottle lotion for a few weeks, I have deemed it evil. As I said before, Cleocin-T worked for me. I think you recently bought Dove something or other. Let us know how it’s working in about a week.

I think it would be a great idea for each of us to choose a different skin moisturizer, use it for a week and then report back on our findings. The only problem with this, of course, is the fact that all our skin is different. Still, there might be something in this for those of us who are unsatisfied with the typical acne-moisturizers.

Have you looked into Aloe Vera?

Skin that contains moisture heals better or so I've heard.

You're in a difficult point in the Accutane journey right now: three weeks in. My skin was very similiar to what you are describing during my third week and I didn't start moisturizing until recently (cummulatively speaking, this is my third month). And try the scotch tape idea for your flaky skin. To me, at that point, just because my skin was flaky didn't exactly mean it was dry. I mean, I had pimples and cysts all over the place- - how dry could it have been???

Some people suggest that you wait until your skin actually NEEDS moisture. I think this means to wait until things clear up a little more.

I need to moisturize every day before I apply makeup, or else it looks like crap. But I didn't moisturize before bed until VERY recently, like I'm talking a week or two ago. My face is noticeably drier than it was earlier in my Accutane treatment. I'm currently on my 9th week.

I completely see your point of view with moisturizing, but I am still a moisturizing advocate for two reasons, 1) dry skin doesn't heal as well, and 2) dry skin leads to premature aging. It may sound vain, but I'm a 20-something female and I have these thoughts in my head! I get especially paranoid when the skin around my eyes is dry - it drives me crazy. I don't want dry, wrinkled, dull and worn looking skin when I'm done this treatment!

I know a bunch of you guys haven't found your "ideal moisturizer" yet, so I understand why moisturizing may seem evil! I'm lucky to have found my absolute favourite moisturizer that has never given me any problems, and I've been buying it now for 2 years straight. I even went on a break once and tried some other products, and noticed my face worsened. As soon as I went back to my favourite, things balanced again.

I have faith that you'll find your perfect moisturizers! biggrin.gif

Mae

Personally, I really prefer dry, flaking skin to the greasy, sticky feel of many of the heavier products like Cetaphil mousturiser.

Im on my second week of accutane, only on 10mg per day, but my face (particulary my chin) gets really itchy due to the dryness. Ive always been a bit of a picker and a scratcher (which is why im prob. on tane) so i feel its reallly importaint to moisturise to minimise itching and therefore spread of bacteria on my face.

And as general advice to anyone with acne, keeping short fingernails will help to reduce bacteria buildup.

Hope this helps eusa_angel.gif

I'm coming to the end of my second month, and i still don't moisturise all over... just on the peeling areas. I have always been paranoid about moisturisers causing me breakouts, which is one of the reasons I don't use much of it. But on the peeling skin, I couldn't not use moisturiser. It would make it look even worse, and applying make-up for me would be impossible.

Putting moisturiser on any places my skin has been peeling hasn't given me any spots, because my skin is soooo NOT greasy at the mo (except maybe a couple of blackheads, but i can cope with that), but instead helped to heal my skin, and got rid of some of the redness...