Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LBS

How to Avoid touching face

Hey Folks, this is my first time posting on here. I read the posts a lot, but never, well shit, never thought I would get to the point where I needed to post.

My skin, in my opinion, shouldn't be as bad as it is. For instance, just last week I was almost totally clear. Well here is my problem. I have an obsession with finding the imperfections in the mirror.

Sometimes, I'm fine, I stop looking in the mirror for a few days or so, wash my face in the morning, stay active and things seem to go fine. But then I'll happen to glance in the mirror, and its like I lose control. I find something, anything, whether its on the surface or something i feel underneath and I try to pop, or smooth over, or pick. (I know that sounds bad)

This leads to a lot of fucked up problems. For one, I irritate the skin. Two i get all sweaty sometimes (it's humid always where i live, Florida) sometimes to the point where its almost dripping and then I have to take a shower. Honestly sometimes this can happen 3 even 4 times a day, 4 fucking showers. Then you know, the skin gets dry patches, so i may pick those carefully hoping underneath is smoother skin, (i figure i can live with a little redness) and sometimes it is, but usually it can tear the skin, bleed, or sting.

The emotional distress follows to where the week before when Im clear I meet some hot chick, now I can't even go out let alone call her. Fucks up everything, don't wanna go to the gym, don't wanna eat, don't wanna socialize, dred going to work.

Does anyone in hear have a similar problem? I'm 22 and this shit has all but ruined my post high-school life. I mean, I've had my moments, but I lose a lot do to my condition. My Mom has mentioned taking some anti-depressants (beta-blockers) to help cope with obsessive compulsiveness. I've always been against them but now I'm thinking about it. i have taken Accutane, and it worked, but a year later or so, I started getting a few pimples, started obsessing, and things came back in full swing.

If anyone has similar problems, or any suggestions, please feel free to respond. Mainly if you have any suggestions on how to stop looking in the mirror. (may sound weird to some but this is my f'n problem.) Anyone overcome this problem?

Ahhh i could ramble on, but I gotta go look in the mirror. Joking. Thanks all.javascript:emoticon(':)')

smilie

Guest Zitro

I think you cannot avoid looking in the mirror, but if you think about what you are doing to yourself before you start, you may prevent that out of control popping (I used to pick and it really messed me up).

Hav this in your mind ... if you stop picking completely ... its like getting a new acne medication for free without side effects which may help to clear up your skin faster.

I wrote a thread a week ago about reasons not to pop zits, maybe it helps.

Sorry .. I wasn't much help at all.

Find a hobby, go out spend time with people. Your mind will be focused on something else besides your face.

SHAZ AKA SLIM

Thanks for your help guys, I already know what you guys told me. It's so much easier said than done. I'm hoping someone else out there has the same problem, or had the same problem as me. It's really not so much that I get pimples, it's that I fuck with minor blemishes and that can lead to a pimple or more commonly a scab. Anyone else?

Thanks

Thanks for your help guys, I already know what you guys told me.  It's so much easier said than done.  I'm hoping someone else out there has the same problem, or had the same problem as me.  It's really not so much that I get pimples, it's that I fuck with minor blemishes and that can lead to a pimple or more commonly a scab.    Anyone else?

Thanks

Ha! If anyone has the answer to this I'd like to hear it. Even though since going on Dan's regimen my acne is about 5-10% of what it was, I still find myself staring into the mirror analysing every little fault and blemish. I also can't seem to stop poking my face every now and then to see if there are any new ones. I just can't stop! Since having great reduction in my acne I am much more fussy, and get upset over one little red spot. I hate my bleamishes! I don't think I'll be happy until I have flawless skin.

hi LBS.

I too have the same problem. I've ALWAYS had this problem and im certain it is the cause of some of my scarring and more breakoutage. Im on accutane now and it is taking all my efforts to not pick right now considering my healing time has been slowed a hell of a lot. Unfortunately I haven't been perfect but its getting better. Anyways, what i've found helpful - because it is and has become an obsession, is to talk myself out of it. I would sit in front of the mirror everynight and squeez the unsqueezable (not ready) out of my face just like you. you need to occupy your hands with something OTHER than your face. trim your nails very short also so that picking becomes difficult. If it helps at all write something on your mirrors, or put a note up saying 'BAD SKIN?!?!! you're LOOKING AT THE REASON WHY!!!" to deter you from picking. take pictures of your picked over face and stick them to the mirror. I know all this sounds silly but you need to have constant reminders of WHY you don't want to pick - in your face at all pickable moments. Another thing I find helps is to give myself facials. to Pamper my face and take care of it the RIGHT way makes picking less desireable. Purchase and extractor which is designed to remove blackheads the correct way. Run hot water in your sink, stick your face overr it for a good 5 minutes to open your pores. Leave your face damp and use the extractor to extract black heads. Then wash your face well, or put on a mud/mineral mask, or a moisture mask if you have those dry patches that you mentioned - massage your moisturizer into your skin - all these things allow you to spend 'time' with your skin and your face w/out PICKING AT IT. And after you're done, your skin will look better, the sign will still be on the mirror along w/the bad pictures and you won't WANT to pick (I hope) because yours kin will feel refreshed, pampered and looka whole lot better. Good luck.

Guest Zitro

Ms Dominatus ... great post!

what I found helpful (for picking without looking at the mirror) is to use one of those stress balls (I don't know how to call them). It really helped me to stop touching my face and after a while I got rid of that nervous habit of touching my face.

try do do everything you can to stop the picking, it will really help if you stop completely and may lead to clear skin.

bye

Oh man I know exactly what you're talking about in fact I made a similar post to this not a few days ago... I do the same thing, obsessing over a tiny little spot. My problem is not the popping of the actual zit cause I do it very carefully and make sure to put antibiotic cream on it afterwards (ensuring it won't come back), but the fact that then I will go and squeeze other ones that aren't even zits or wouldn't be if I hadn't squeezed them is maddening. Even worse, the medicine I use to control my acne (tretinoin) happens to make my skin very thin and easily damaged, and if you're not careful sometimes the tissue or whatever you're using to pop it will like slide across your face and excoriate the area, which will leave a big streak of red, raw skin there which takes forever to heal up and is highly embarrassing. eusa_wall.gif

Man it's so stupid. I don't know why I care so much about it... I never used to care much about how my face looked until about a couple years ago and I know that I had some pretty bad acne before that so what's the deal? No idea. I know that my skin looks fine and most people would not even take a second glance at it, because right now it is what everyone else in the world except for me would call a mild case and would not care about, at all. But having had serious nasty acne for so long before now, I seem to be stuck with the false notion that my skin is much worse than it actually is and this causes me to obsess over it... In fact even right now I can look in the mirror and see that my acne is hardly worth even giving a second thought to but I can't get rid of the thought that it's bad... ugly... horrible, disfiguring! wacko.gif lol

I guess I should count my blessings and thank God I only got a "normal" case of acne instead of the absolutely heart-wrenching case of cystic acne my sister got...

Anyways the point of my long post is that you are not alone, I struggle with this idiotic compulsion every single day.

Yea, I have very minor acne, and being on dan's reg for 5 days i currently am clear, but i still feel the urge to want to sit in front of the miror, make myself comfy and start picking. Now i have been using this method since august, and just the past month I have really realized that the picking needs to stop. It was about two months ago and I had a few very very minor blackheads on my forehead (like 2) that wouldnt have been noticable if i wouldve never examined my face. Well I had a speech the next day and started picking them thinking that i could just put neosporin on them and the next day everything would be gravy. Well I woke up the next day and the day after etc.. and they were 20 times worse, the skin was red and it actually turned into a kinda rash. Like a forth of my forehead was red for weeks on end, causing more breakouts. I also was wearing a hat daily, and I am a girl, so it was a little weird. Friends in my classes would always ask me about it and i would just tell them that i was always really lazy and never did my hair. So ne ways, thanksgiving my mother told me that when i came home for christmas(i go to school 6 hrs away) that she didnt want to see me with that hat. So i made a point to wing it off.. and now that i have, my forehead is completely clear. So ne ways, thats a lesson not to pick because even the smallest blackhead that you pick can turn into a 2 month nightmare!

The thing is, it’s not the actual minor blackhead or small blemish that bothers me, it’s the potential of what it can worsen to be that causes me to pick. It’s hard to just stand and wait for this red bullshit with puss to pointlessly take it’s purposeless time on my face to possibly even worsen and been drawn out even longer, so that’s what I tell myself, so I say, I’ll just get rid of it now and It will be done with, go into a craze, fuck up my face all at once, feel depressed afterwards knowing what I have just done and how long I am going to have to wait for it to heal, all the while knowing the strong possibility of newer ones arising in that process.

At this moment my face is almost clear. But there is one little tiny spot that looks like a blackhead. Now I really really so very badly want to squeeze it. But I am resisting. I must not pick it. NO! STOP THINKING ABOUT IT!!!

At this moment my face is almost clear. But there is one little tiny spot that looks like a blackhead. Now I really really so very badly want to squeeze it. But I am resisting. I must not pick it. NO! STOP THINKING ABOUT IT!!!

yeah...this is exactly my problem. I had decent skin going into the school year (i lifeguard, so a mix of the sun and saltwater clears my skin up very well). But a few weeks after i left to go back to college, the hard water had really done a number on my skin. I started picking at the very few zits i had, and it just started a chain reaction that is yet to slow down. First i would pop ready zits, but the hard water would dry my skin out and make the scabs take forever to heal. Then i started getting acne in areas that had not healed, so i had very dry flakey skin that was sensitive with acne coming in. It was a downhill fight all semester. Every time i tell myself i'm done touching my face i make it about 4 days and lose control, and start the whole process over again. I'm too impatient to wait for nature to take its course, and the second i do it i regret it. Right now my face is a mess and i've never been had somthing make me as depressed as this.

sucks ass.

no more touching my face, starting tonight. See how long i make it this time...

I want to know how people walk outside with popable white heads? Whenever I see a white head on my face I'm like "wtf stoopid faggit wite head lol im gunna kill j00!" then I pop that bitch and it turns red then I kill myself .....twice.

I'm exactly the same, I can't stop picking at my face! It's so depressing, and the clearer my skin is the less tolerant I am towards minor blemishes, so I just end up picking the hell out of them so it looks like I've been in a fight.

Yesterday I messed up my skin bad by picking at a spot on my cheek that just wasn't ready and now it's triple in size, swollen, red and is so disgusting that I can't even face leaving the house.

Plus I have to go back to work on Tuesday...How embarrassing, might have to take a sick day! Should I just put a plaster on it?!

I'd love to know how to stop...I've managed to stop for the past 6 months but I'm afraid I'm falling back to my old routine. It's so frustrating as it is all down to self-control. The other problem is that once you start picking you almost get trapped in a negative loop...very similar to obsessive compulsive disorder.

I totally agree with one of the posters who said that they pick because of the potential of a huge cyst-like zit that will hang around for ages! I just end up picking bumps the moment they arrive but the problem is that it actually lengthens the cycle more because I have to now wait for the swelling to decrease and the possibility of a scab...

I'm the same exact way. The worst time for me is after I take a shower. When I've toweled off and have on my robe I then have to lean forward so I can look into the mirror over the sink to apply the bp. This mirror has - like - a beam of miniature search lights (well not really, but they sure seem like it) strung across it, five in all and they blast your skin with a lot of light. After my skin is washed and dried off, it feels a lot better and even more open to the air again (laugh).

But, I also can see everything very clearly defined after I wash my face. It probably has to do with the pore cleansing materials in the wash I use. However, I get the nearly irresistible urge to lean over further and jab my fingernails into one of those damn enlarged until whatever is making my pore so enlarged finally comes out (i'm pretty sure it's just solidified puss or something, eww).

But the most irritating thing is that my skin would be rather clear if I didn't always get the urge to pick at it. I know it's not good to do, and then you're left with a big ugly red spot, which *may* even turn into a red scratch type thing if you dig hard enough... and then you bleed and you look like crap the next day, over some tiny stupid pore... but anyway. I just can never seem to stop. Argh. And don't get me started on any pimples that I can actually see (as in, whiteheads). I hardly ever have those, but when I do, or if a bump becomes really swollen I end up going to town on my face.