Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jirachi

How to treat worsening scars from TCA Cross?

These scars have definitely worsened from TCA Cross 100% - I think either from spillage or overdoing it since I wasn't satisfied with some of the frosting. It seems like a crater around the scar and the skin in the middle looks like how the skin should be. I can put my finger over it and feel it is not even with the rest of the skin (I know it's a scar, but it's always felt somewhat even before, besides the minimal rolling scars) I think I have seen a ring method somewhere, where you make a circle around the scar, instead of filling it in entirely. Would this help in this case? Should I just dilute it to 50-80% to lessen the chance of this happening? I did it back in September, and have stopped mostly because of the annoying PIE that seems to persist for half a year. Any tips on reducing PIE or preventing it in the first place would be helpful as well.

I know it's risky to do this yourself, but it is not viable to spend 400-500 dollars each time I want this done. I was also using the Derminator 2 on alternate months (since then, I've just wanted to use it each month instead, again in fear of prolonging PIE which is annoying me since it is affecting scar treatment) which I'm not sure has really helped with my scars or my PIE. It has seemed to help "shrink" my pores around my nose however.

I tried to take the best pictures I could. You can kind of see the bubble of skin or whatever in the middle of some of the scars. I don't think they are pimples as they have been like that. I think that the skin around the scar sunk in like a crater. I am hoping this ring method I have seen somewhere would help. As soon as I find video of it again, I'll probably post it here.

Thanks.

134371040_232855445031603_1643914584104098570_n.jpg

134271512_413014659900775_5652599298139842279_n.jpg

133766754_755791608353173_4729290826913434577_n.jpg

133729881_417361822749166_6552394615198683500_n.jpg

134268192_228370258879647_7466578613712616869_n.jpg

30 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

These scars have definitely worsened from TCA Cross 100% - I think either from spillage or overdoing it since I wasn't satisfied with some of the frosting. It seems like a crater around the scar and the skin in the middle looks like how the skin should be. I can put my finger over it and feel it is not even with the rest of the skin (I know it's a scar, but it's always felt somewhat even before, besides the minimal rolling scars) I think I have seen a ring method somewhere, where you make a circle around the scar, instead of filling it in entirely. Would this help in this case? Should I just dilute it to 50-80% to lessen the chance of this happening? I did it back in September, and have stopped mostly because of the annoying PIE that seems to persist for half a year. Any tips on reducing PIE or preventing it in the first place would be helpful as well.

I know it's risky to do this yourself, but it is not viable to spend 400-500 dollars each time I want this done. I was also using the Derminator 2 on alternate months (since then, I've just wanted to use it each month instead, again in fear of prolonging PIE which is annoying me since it is affecting scar treatment) which I'm not sure has really helped with my scars or my PIE. It has seemed to help "shrink" my pores around my nose however.

I tried to take the best pictures I could. You can kind of see the bubble of skin or whatever in the middle of some of the scars. I don't think they are pimples as they have been like that. I think that the skin around the scar sunk in like a crater. I am hoping this ring method I have seen somewhere would help. As soon as I find video of it again, I'll probably post it here.

Thanks.

134371040_232855445031603_1643914584104098570_n.jpg

134271512_413014659900775_5652599298139842279_n.jpg

133766754_755791608353173_4729290826913434577_n.jpg

133729881_417361822749166_6552394615198683500_n.jpg

134268192_228370258879647_7466578613712616869_n.jpg

Doctor performed TCA ?

TCA Cross is to be applied on ice pick or narrow boxcar scars. For bigger boxcar scars, the chances of them widening are much increased. Don't even think about doing this on rolling scars. Please do not continue to treat yourself because I don't think you have the right types of scars for this treatment. Regardless, TCA Cross is not a safe procedure unless you really, really, really know what you are doing.

Overall, it's safer and best to consult with a doctor when it comes to any type of acid! However, with this treatment, scars can become enlarged even if you see a medical professional. Why? Because TCA can spill over the borders if done incorrectly. Also, they might not see what you see because they don't look at your scars as much as you do in the mirror, and I'm sure you know exactly how big and where they are. 

It's also been mentioned a number of times on this forum that the process of Cross naturally involves scars getting a little wider but shallower. 

If you don't have any prior experience then you shouldn't even be touching 100%TCA! Think about it, is saving $400 worth the risk of causing permanent burns and possibly creating new scars on your face?

100% TCA is applied only to icepick scars . If you're doing a TCA paint for slightly wider  or narrow boxcars, then a lower concentration like 50% is used. Your scars look too wide for 100% TCA.

Also, I've never heard of any ring method. TCA is generally applied to the base of the scar. The goal is to raise the scar bed and eventually blend it in with the surrounding skin.

Edited by scarryface
9 hours ago, Jirachi said:

These scars have definitely worsened from TCA Cross 100% - I think either from spillage or overdoing it since I wasn't satisfied with some of the frosting. It seems like a crater around the scar and the skin in the middle looks like how the skin should be.

What do you mean by "worsened"? Have they widened than before? Have they gotten deeper? Without the comparison of before/after, we can only go by your words, which probably isn't the best way to judge your scars.

Also, when you say "overdoing", just how often? Moreover, how many have you treated so far?

Concentration-wise, have you slowly built up to 100% over time or did you simply go cold turkey? 

Obviously, there are many variables to how you can mess up, so it's very important to tread carefully.

9 hours ago, Jirachi said:

Any tips on reducing PIE or preventing it in the first place would be helpful as well.

The best way is to apply lower concentration (eg. 25%) after about 4 weeks.

26 minutes ago, Sirius Lee said:

What do you mean by "worsened"? Have they widened than before? Have they gotten deeper? Without the comparison of before/after, we can only go by your words, which probably isn't the best way to judge your scars.

Also, when you say "overdoing", just how often? Moreover, how many have you treated so far?

Concentration-wise, have you slowly built up to 100% over time or did you simply go cold turkey? 

Obviously, there are many variables to how you can mess up, so it's very important to tread carefully.

The best way is to apply lower concentration (eg. 25%) after about 4 weeks.

By worsened I mean that before they felt more even with the skin even though they were/are still scars. Now they feel like the middle is leveled with the skin, but there's a ring/crater around them where it feels uneven. I'm sure the PIE doesn't help with actually knowing if they look that bad or not.

Overdoing I thought because I think for some it dried too fast on the toothpick and didn't seem to create much at all frosting, so I had to do those over and then they frosted like normal.

I've used 15% for as TCA peels, as well as layered them with the TCA cross method until they frosted.

Yeah, I definitely felt like I should tread carefully, which is why I stopped since last doing it in September. I believe it was my 2nd time trying it.

Do you mean applying a lower concentration (25% or so) with the TCA cross method, or using that as a peel?

34 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

Yeah, I definitely felt like I should tread carefully, which is why I stopped since last doing it in September. I believe it was my 2nd time trying it.

By worsened I mean that before they felt more even with the skin even though they were/are still scars. Now they feel like the middle is leveled with the skin, but there's a ring/crater around them where it feels uneven. I'm sure the PIE doesn't help with actually knowing if they look that bad or not.

This is your only 2nd time? Really? I don't mean to sound harsh but I don't believe you. You said elsewhere that you've been alternating TCA with microneedling every other month.

Anyway, my suggestion is let the skin heal. You've been constantly tampering with it, not allowing it to heal properly. That alone could be the reason why you have such craters. Give it another 3 months.

43 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

Do you mean applying a lower concentration (25% or so) with the TCA cross method, or using that as a peel?

25% is a rough generalization. It could be 15% for you, if you're sensitive. 

So apply whatever % that is appropriate for your skin type, preferably with a cotton swab, to areas that are red.

1 hour ago, Sirius Lee said:

This is your only 2nd time? Really? I don't mean to sound harsh but I don't believe you. You said elsewhere that you've been alternating TCA with microneedling every other month.

Anyway, my suggestion is let the skin heal. You've been constantly tampering with it, not allowing it to heal properly. That alone could be the reason why you have such craters. Give it another 3 months.

25% is a rough generalization. It could be 15% for you, if you're sensitive. 

So apply whatever % that is appropriate for your skin type, preferably with a cotton swab, to areas that are red.

Sorry about that! I meant to say it was my second time with 100%, the other times I was trying to alternate TCA cross with layering 15% on the scars until they frosted, a less intense version. Some months I would just do a peel instead with that lower percentage.

I don’t know if you mean apply a lesser percentage to the scars themselves for the cross method, or a peel for the areas that are red?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

Edited by Jirachi
11 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

I don’t know if you mean apply a lesser percentage to the scars themselves for the cross method, or a peel for the areas that are red?

Don't get so hung up on "cross" or "peel". These are just jargons. What's important is the TCA %.

Dip a cotton swab in 20% (or whatever % is suitable for you) and liberally apply to wherever it's red. You shouldn't see frosting with 20%, but if you do, it's too strong. Take it lower until no frosting occurs.