Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi All,

I am so thrilled that I am finally seeing results from Yasmin!! eusa_dance.gif

I have had mild, yet persistent, acne and combination skin that goes through phases of EXTREME oiliness, for about the past 10 years (I am 31 now). I have seen a derm for 8 years and have used every OTC and Rx in the book, and still would experience breakouts (cheeks and chin only). wacko.gif

So, I started the BCP Loestrin this summer (not for acne treatment but for BC) and my mild acne turned into cystic acne, literally overnight! NEVER had cystic acne before then, and I freaked out. I gave that pill about 2 months, then my OB-GYN switched me to Yasmin (per my request) since the Loestrin pill was obviously aggravating my acne - turning my mild acne into severe acne!

Well...I have been on Yasmin for 3 1/2 months and am now totally clear! So not only did it get rid of the cystic acne (caused solely by the Loestrin) but it also got rid of the nagging, annoying, mild acne I've been dealing with for the past 10 years! Also, my skin is no longer prone to oiliness. It is SO unbelievably nice to be able to put makeup on in the morning and not have it slide off onto the floor by the end of the day. I used to go through 3-4 of those oil blotter sheet thingies per day, and now I use one, if that.

Also, my pores seem smaller and my skin more refined. This could be a result of using Delna's regimen to get rid of those gawd-awful red marks caused by my 2 month combat with cystic acne. Not sure, but hey, NOT complaining. My skin is now back to the way it was before I started breaking out 10 years ago. I never had a problem with scarring before now, so I will give it a few months to see how the scars on my cheeks do on their own. If they don't go away, I will consider a Chemical Peel, Dermabrasion, or Laser Resurfacing. It's really not THAT bad, though...totally undetectable with concealer on.

Well folks, just wanted to post a success story with Yasmin, since I know a lot of you are looking for more options. For me, I started to see results at approx. 3 months and am now totally clear after 3 1/2 months.

Have a Happy Holiday!

Congrats!

I'm into my second month of acne and it's almost totally cleared all the horrible cysts caused by OTC-Lo.

Still, I'll always have tiny ice pick scars in my cheek from my 2-month Ortho disaster.

Yasmin is wonderful.

Congratulations!!!! That is wonderful news and I am really happy that you found something that works for you. I've been on Yasim for almost two months and my skin is clearing but I am also on Accutane and an oral steroid so it is difficult to say what is clearing it up. It's great to hear from people who've had such great success!

hey i have been on ortho-tri cyclen LO, for about a year now, and i have had a problem with weight gain. it really really worked to clear up most of my acne, but the weight gain is just so horrible, i cant take it anymore. i have already tried goin off of it 3 times, and the weight came right off, but my acne came right back!

I have also just started accutane, i have been on it for about 2 weeks now......and i was wondering if it would be ok to switch my birth control to Yasmin???? cuz i have heard that you dont gain weight on Yasmin, which would be wonderful! but i was just curious if it would affect anything with accutane?

also i was wondering if any of u had an initial breakout with Yasmin?? and if you did, how bad was it, and how long did it take to clear up?

and for Arpazia......did u get an initial breakout from yasmin? and how was it dealing with that while on accutane, or did u not get it because you were on accutane?

sorry so many questions, but im done with my pack of Ortho today, and im supposed to start my new pack tonight, and i was hoping to start yasmin tomorrow. i am goin to call both my derm and my gyno to see if it will be ok, but i thought i would just ask u guys first!

hope u get this soon!

oh also......did ur boobs get bigger at all on yasmin? lol cuz i have small boobs, and thats the one thing i like about ortho is my boobs got about one size bigger, which was nice! lol

It's always nice to hear a success story!

I just started Tazorac and I need to use BCP with it becuz Taz can cause birth defects. I have been thinking about starting Yasmin, but am afraid of an initial breakout. So, I would also like to know if any Yasmin users suffered an initial breakout. Oh, and if it made your stomach upset in the beginning? I have trouble with BCP making me feel nauseous.

Thanks

Yasmin has a diuretic in it, so there's very little water weight gain. As for other types of weight gain, I guess you jsut have to be real careful about what you eat (I just ate an entire container of rice pudding, so I'm definitely not doing that).

There was no initial breakout for me, but the first month my breasts were killing me and my sex drive was zero. It's cleared up this month, though.

Good luck!

ooh well thats good to hear! thanks for the info on the weight gain.

well i have a really fast metabolism, and i hardly ever gain weight, and if i do, its like maybe a pound. and when im on ortho i gain like 5-7, and its just horrible, cuz it all goes to my thighs and butt, and they just feel huge and swollen, so i definitely know its water weight.

yea ive heard about breasts being sore. that does suck. do they get bigger at all though?? lol sorry im so curious, but its just nice to a lil bit of a fuller chest.... biggrin.gif

but thats awesome that u didn't have an initial breakout, i hope thats how it is with most people.

about the sex drive though.....does that last the whole time? or is it just the first month or so?

I'm not sure if my breast got fuller, but I know that a lot of people do.

And the sex drive thing seems just fine now, so I think it was just my body adjusting during the first month (I also may have been dehydrated from the diuretic)

oh alright......yea those things dont sound too bad, specially if its only in the first month or so.

well im glad to hear that ur clear now, thats really exciting! biggrin.gif hope everything stays clear, and im pretty sure it will on birth control.

if anyone else knows anything about yasmin and accutane......share your opinions and what not.....thank you!!

I did get an initial breakout during my first 2 months of Yasmin, but I am not sure if it was actually from the Yasmin itself, or an initial breakout from switching from Differin Cream to Differin Gel. But yeah...I went through about 3 weeks of hell. WELL worth it though! I would do it again in a heartbeat. I just adjusted the social calendar for a while and warned my coworkers and friends that the "zit factory" was gonna be working overtime for a while...LOL.

Regarding weight gain...I actually LOST about 5 lbs. after starting Yasmin. Yasmin has a diruetic in it that prevents water weight retention, which is nice, nice, nice. You do notice an increase in thirst, but you NEED water anyway, so what's the harm in that. Also you will pee a lot more frequently. I didn't experience an increase in breast size, but they didn't shrink either...(which usually happens to me when I lose weight!) So, they remained the same, despite my overall weight loss. LOL.

I am not a Doctor, but I don't see anything wrong with switching from Ortho Lo to Yasmin whilst on Accutane. Check w/your derm to make sure, but I'd be surprised if it was any type of big deal.

Good luck everyone and thank you so much for all of the kind words. I am just knocking on wood that things stay this way with my skin... eusa_pray.gif

Sorry, but Yasmin is usually only a temporary solution to acne, it will come back after you are taken off Yasmin. My doctor also was told not to prescribe it anymore as there was not enough scientific evidence to justify giving it to acne sufferers.

I've been on Yasmin bout 5 months now and three months into it i started Erythromycin topical treatment (because i still had acne). Now my skin is getting clearer and clearer! Its great!! No side affects either! My acne didn't get worse after beginning to take yasmin - just stayed pretty much the same.

My doctor said that yasmin is working at its best afetr 4-6 months. I think the antibiotics have helped a lot - given my acne a chance to heal and stopped it recurring.

Anyone know when topical antibiotics begin to be resistant? Cos then i'll know if Yasmin on its own is helping?

P.s Thanks to everyone giving their success stories on Yasmin - its given me hope that after the antibiotics have stopped working my skin will still be good because of Yasmin!

UPDATE:

Still clear since my original post a week ago. I have been on my "inactive" pill week since Sunday, 12/26 and I had one pimple pop up on my cheek this morning. But, it's just ONE and it's just a PIMPLE...not a cyst, pustule, etc. I can handle this, no problem.

Also, I went for my consultation at my derm yesterday regarding my options to get rid of the tiny scars and red marks on my cheeks. They say I am a good candidate for a Jessner Peel, so I am going to get this done. They are recommending a series of 4 peels, to be done at 2-3 week intervals. My first peel will be on Thursday of next week. Can't wait!!! I am sooooo excited.

What is Jessner Peel? I guess i've never heard of those. Im just wondering because once I get the go ahead from my Derm, I definitely want to get some peels done for my scars/red spots (im on accutane).

It's weird to hear you all talking about Yasmin. I was on it off and on about a year and a half ago. I took it for the weight reasons - all other pills made me gain at least 10 lbs. I guess I never noticed whether my skin changed or not. But maybe my skin has gotten so bad in the last year because I haven't been on any birth control. I unfortunately have problems with all hormonal pills because they make me craaaazy in the head. So when starting Accutane I went on the Mirena IUD which DOES have hormones but very little actually get into your blood stream, most of it stays locally in the uterus. It's nice - no pills to take and its about as effective as getting your tubes tied. I never knew Yasmin had anit-acne properties. Either way, it still made me nuts and I wouldn't have been able to take it long-term and be happy anyways. Congrats on your success! and good luck!

What is Jessner Peel? I guess i've never heard of those. Im just wondering because once I get the go ahead from my Derm, I definitely want to get some peels done for my scars/red spots (im on accutane).

MS: Yasim contains a hormone called Spironolactone which helps a lot of women out with hormonal acne. I wasn't fortunate enough to convince my doctors to prescribe Sprio in combination with Accutane because they said my blood work wouldn't show any hormonal imbalances while I was on the pill (then Ortho). I recently switched to Yasim and I think it is wonderful. The mood swings are less and monthly cramping has almost completely gone away. Add in the skin-clearing properties and I am thrilled.

Since you had a reaction to Yasim, however, perhaps asking your doctor for a prescription to Sprio wouldn't be a great idea.

And, acnehater: Congratulations!!! It sounds as if you have found your solution and that is wonderful for you!

Happy New Year, guys!

Just a question;i'm on spiro and it's causing me to have a really massive breakout.It's making me really depressed sad.gif I've been on it for nearly 6 weeks and my skin is MUCH worse than it was before i started.

Acnehater;i know you're on yasmin and not spiro but as spiro and yasmin are similar(yasmin has 25mg of spiro),i wondered if you could help with afew questions i have.

You said you had three weeks of hell in the second month;can you remember which weeks of treatment that was?Also,did it start improving as soon as the third month began?How bad was the initial breakout?I'd say my acne has gone from mild to near severe with the spiro cry.gif