Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Candice Austin

Do you eat chia seeds ?

Flaxseed breakouts me out. So I need another major source of alpha-linolenic acid. Soy breaks me out too. So many other sources have far more omega 6 then omega 3 which tends to break me out. So they're chia seeds. I'm not sure about them in regards to my acne. I am not sure if I can blame any breakouts on them. With flaxseed, I will breakout 100 % of the time after eating them. It's not so clear with chia seeda. Chia seeds are high in phytoestrogen. Chia seeds have very high fibre, which is generally good for acne but can cause if it upsets your gut. So I don't know.

Yes, I eat chia seeds! They have not caused any breakouts in my skin. In fact, I think they help due to the omegas :) and from my own research chia seeds can improve acne.

17 hours ago, kristina4ever15 said:

Yes, I eat chia seeds! They have not caused any breakouts in my skin. In fact, I think they help due to the omegas :) and from my own research chia seeds can improve acne.

Good for you. ☺ Do you, or have you ever ate flaxseed ? 

I know a lot of people, like me, get breakouts with flaxseeds. So I wonder if people who have a problem with flaxseed will also have a problem with chia seeds, given they both have a ton of phytoestrogens. But flaxseeds are must easier to digestive so many it's the gut health aspect with flaxseed that causes breakouts. 

With acne, I find simpler is almost always better

Start simple, then slowly add more diverse foods like chia seeds and see how your body reacts

Definitely try introducing chia seeds into your diet and see if you get any adverse reactions. Alter your diet accordingly. The Omega 3's in chia seeds are fantastic for skin inflammation and fighting bacteria!

Chia Seed = high in omega6

Sunflower Seed = high in omega6

Nuts = maybe high in omega6

high omega6 in diet = acne trigger 

even maybe high omega3 diet (α-Linolenic acid (ALA)  (chia, flaxseed...) = acne trigger  

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26473070/

Sunflower Seed and Acne Vulgaris

Abstract

Background: Regardless of the overall association between diet and acne which cannot be easily ignored, there might be an association between specific nutrients and acne development or improvement.

Objectives: The aim of this study was to assess the effect of dietary intake of sunflower seeds on acne severity and the pattern of acne lesions.

Patients and methods: In a randomized controlled trial, 50 patients aged 15 - 30 years old with acne vulgaris were enrolled through consecutive convenient sampling, in a dermatology clinic in Ardabil, Iran. They were randomly allocated into two trial arms. Those in the control group were asked to stop eating sunflower seeds if they did before. In the intervention group, they consumed 25 g sunflower-containing food daily for seven days. The primary outcome of interest was 10% increase/decrease in the baseline acne severity index (ASI), sustained to the end of the follow-up period on day 14.

Results: The mean ASI did not change significantly through the study period in the control group, but it increased in the sunflower group from 62 at the baseline to 86.8 after two weeks (P < 0.001). The ASI mean change was 24.8 in the sunflower group compared to 4.9 in the control group (P < 0.001). The global acne grading score (GAGS) did not significantly change in any of the groups and the difference in the change of GAGS was not significant between the groups (2.4 in the sunflower group versus 1.6 in the control group). Twenty two subjects (88%) in the sunflower group versus 9 (36%) in the control group had at least 10% increment in ASI throughout the follow-up period (P < 0.001). The relative risk of developing the primary outcome in taking the sunflower seed intervention was 2.4 (95% CI: 1.4 - 4.2). The observed risk difference was 0.52 (95% CI: 0.29 - 0.75).

Conclusions: Sunflower seed intake appears to aggravate acne vulgaris; however, further evidence is needed to ban sunflower seed intake in patients with acne. Considering the observed potential negative effect in this trial, future randomized clinical trials may base their design on randomly assigning the exposed patients to give up use of sunflower seed intake.