Notifications
Clear all

How I Cured My Back Acne

MemberMember
(@andrew-harrison1yahoo-com)

Posted : 03/31/2020 7:13 pm

Background:

Im a 24 year old male with sensitive skin. I first started getting acne on my back when I was 19. I dont really get pimples on my face anymore. Rarely I get a random pimple on my face here and there but my back is what has always bothered me. Id say I fluctuated from mild to moderate back acne, enough to the point where I would avoid situations that would let people see my back. Being from the beaches of California this was a serious issue for me and really caused me a lot of frustration. I was for sure self conscious about it and tried many many different regimens you read about online. From typical different regimens: benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, acne pills, prescribed higher strength benzoyl peroxide and creams to other alternative regimens you read about online: head and shoulders shampoo, zinc bars, apple cider vinegar, DIY scrubs, tomatoes, and many more. Id try different regimens for months and some seemed to be working and then would all of it would reverse or just make my skin a lot worse and irritated. Gave me a lot of false hope. Took me years of trial and error to figure out what would solve my skin.

Cure:

One day I read an article from a scientist on how in Western society we use way too many products on our skin and theres no reason for us to do this. The use of all these soaps and creams disrupts our skins natural barriers and homeostasis. Ive always been somewhat of a clean freak. Washed my hair with shampoo and conditioner everyday, used mild soap on my skin every morning and usually at night, and never would rewear clothes twice.

I decided to basically detox my skin from soap. I decided to not use soap or my daily acne treatment at the time (Neutrogena Apricot Salicylic Acid Scrub) of any sort on my body or hair for 10 days (besides cleansing with mild soap on armpits, groin, feet, and face every 2 or 3 days). I would wash my hands in the shower and run warm water through my hair and skin and just lightly washed my body with water and my hands. Takes some time for your hair to lose its addiction to the shampoo so it is quite oily so I just wore it up in a bun.

My back acne improved drastically. After that I implemented washing my hair with shampoo and conditioner every 2/3 days and whenever I did that Id also use a very mild soap on my back and body after. I use a soap called Madame Heng Soap that I found when I was in Thailand but Ive heard very good things about Dr. Bronners Unscented Baby Soap.

Wow my hair and skin is so much healthier now and it is such a relief. Id say 99% of my back acne is gone. I recommend this to everyone. It not only saves your skin and hair but also all that time and money you spend. I no longer wake up with oily hair every morning and the frustration of new acne on my back. It's been a few months now and my skin just looks healthier everyday.

Moral of the story:

Rinse body in the shower everyday(no soap)or twice a day(if exercising), use very mild soap on your body every 2/3 days (Dr. Bronners Unscented Baby soap, Madame Heng etc.), no back acne washes, wash hair with shampoo and conditioner less frequently (for me every 2/3 days), and keep your hygiene up when it comes to making sure sheets and clothes are clean (unscented laundry detergent is best) and a healthy diet. I've noticed spending time in the ocean seems to make my skin very happy as well.

I hope this works for all of you. Peace and I hope my post helps improve your confidence in your skin!

MemberMember
(@dasp)

Posted : 08/04/2020 4:18 am

I agree with this, I have had moderate back acne for over 20 years, and have tried everything more or less, except for moisturizing properly to enhance the normal defensive system of the skin. When I tried that I not only realized that the topical treatments I had been using for 15 years had no effect, they probably stripped the skin of essential bacteria and protective barriers. I started showering every 2/3 days, after workout, and my skin started feeling more healthy and less stressed. I am still not clear though, if I eat a lot of sugar and fail to take zinc and probiotics, fiber-rich foods and antioxidants, I break out pretty bad.

But I have realized that, for me, topical treatments don't really do that much. It is more down to enhancing the barrier by not over-cleaning/touching the skin + internal issues.