Notifications
Clear all

The importance of zinc in the prevention of acne scarring

MemberMember
(@ptaa)

Posted : 08/07/2019 1:41 pm

If you have noticed an increase in scarring, it is very important to identify whether you are deficient in zinc. Zinc plays an essential role in the wound healing process and in helping prevent atrophic scars from forming in the first place. Most people are probably not deficient, but to all the vegans here, you need to supplement if you want to prevent scarring.

source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5793244/

MemberMember
(@hlp334)

Posted : 08/07/2019 1:42 pm

Do you have a brand of zinc you recommend?

MemberMember
(@ptaa)

Posted : 08/07/2019 1:45 pm

1 minute ago, hlp334 said:

Do you have a brand of zinc you recommend?

I use spring valley, but there are plenty of other trustworthy brands. CVS has good ones too.

MemberMember
(@vidrar)

Posted : 08/07/2019 2:28 pm

If you eat alot of meat, is supplementing unnecessary ?

MemberMember
(@ptaa)

Posted : 08/07/2019 2:30 pm

2 minutes ago, Vidrar said:

If you eat alot of meat, is supplementing unnecessary ?

It depends on the type of meat and the amount that you eat. All I can say with certainty is that your body needs to absorbing 11 mg/day for men and 8 mg/day for women. There are factors that can limit absorption.

MemberMember
(@freshman)

Posted : 08/07/2019 7:18 pm

Just bear in mind that taking a zinc supplement can cause copper deficiency. Something to be aware of. I myself take zinc, but smaller doses, because of this.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 08/07/2019 7:29 pm

Zinc does very little for acne scars, after treating thousands.... Perhaps if your deficient do a test for this if you need. It does help prior to the scars for"acne." Prevention is the key word here, this belongs in the acne forums not the scar treatments forum. That is where many people have nutritional issues. I have met many vegans and vegetarians, often Dr's, .. .those who are raw foodists. Their skin is often better than those who have excessive supplements. Nutritional or whole food sources are always better than a supplement.

MemberMember
(@ptaa)

Posted : 08/07/2019 7:57 pm

29 minutes ago, beautifulambition said:

Zinc does very little for acne scars, after treating thousands.... Perhaps if your deficient do a test for this if you need. It does help prior to the scars for"acne." Prevention is the key word here, this belongs in the acne forums not the scar treatments forum. That is where many people have nutritional issues. I have met many vegans and vegetarians, often Dr's, .. .those who are raw foodists. Their skin is often better than those who have excessive supplements. Nutritional or whole food sources are always better than a supplement.

My point is that many people here areexperiencing progressive scarring andcan really benefit from this advice. I agree that food sources are better than supplementation, but both will be sufficient. I didn't say it was impossible to get zinc on a vegan diet, only that some people here may not know of the importance in addressing this possible deficiency. My skin would scar from a mosquito bite, that's how bad it was. I want to help people avoid this. I believe the topic belongs here. It's not about acne prevention, it's about scar prevention by giving the body what it needs to heal correctly from the possibly unavoidable acne.