Notifications
Clear all

My tricks to reduce the visibility of various scar types as a man

MemberMember
(@thiscommunityisawesome)

Posted : 06/09/2019 1:25 pm

I am a 34 y/o male with medium to severe acne scars of various types (icepick, box, rolling), mostly underneath my cheek bones, on my chin and at the temples.

Here are some of my tips and tricks to reduce scar visibility, most of which might also be useful to women:

1. Long term gradual reduction of finer scars and general rejuvenation via collagen stimulation. Although I no longer have active acne,my dermatologistprescribed me a topical (cream) isotretinoin, mostly known as the pill accutane. Applied topically, you avoid the systemic side effects. But it still reduces larger pores and very gradually helps build up collagen withinmonths to years. There are several weaker products with vitamin A derivativesavailable over the counter under brand names like Retin-A. But if you really want a result, talk to your dermatologist about a prescription. Its not expensive.The only downside to me is, I have to use sunscreen all the time.
  2. Sleep enough and well. Lack of sleep makes your skin look less voluminous und slows collagen production. Sleep quality is also important. Dont look at a screen minutes before you sleep. Limit radiation exposure, no cell phone right under your pillow etc. Your skin cells will thank you later.
  3. Moisturization is key, epescially as you grow older. It can really plump up your skin. I have not tested the moisturizers that acne.org sells, but I am sure they are great. My regimen consists of
    1. Hyaluronic acid exfoliatingserum:I apply a few drops of skinceuticals "retexturing activator" serum onmy cleaned but not totally dryface and rub it in.This serum keeps moisture in the face all day and it exfoliates the skin. It is expensive but so worth it. Usingit, I am able to keep the plumpness that my skin has in the morning right after getting up. The serum is a little sticky on the skin, but non comedogenic (does not clog pores). Applying a moisturizing cream on top of it reducesthe sticky feeling.
    2. Moisturizer combined with sunscreen. Iam using a product called "cetaphil dermacontrol facial moisturizer"which contains a sunscreen as well. It was specifically designed for BPO (popular acne cream) users.One of the moisturizers in this product is glycerine, an alcohol that binds water. You can use this to your advantage:
      1. Drink a lot to make sure to stay hydrated, otherwise the glycerine has an adverse effect. Do not drink substances that dry you out like alcohol.
      2. Steam your face after applying moisturizer. Facial steamers are essentially small water boilers that generate very fine droplets of water. If you steam your face while glycerine is applied, it will gain some volume. If have also noticed that the steamers are very benificial for my overall complexion, so I am using them every time after I take a shower as well.
  4. Make up:I have been using make up to reduce the visibility of my scars for over 15 years. Obviously, as a man it is especially important to me to get a natural looking result. I am not trying to enhance facial features
    1. I am using a product called "wrinkle linefiller" by a German company called backstage makeup. It is a nude colored pen. This is by far the best product I have ever encountered for scar make up. I contains small crystals that diffuse light (scatterit into various directions)which is key when trying to make an uneven surface (ie scars) look more even. All the other remedies I named here aside, I think I can reduce the appearance of scars, even rolling, by 20% with this product alone. Icepicks can be made to almost disappear.I paint it on the scar and then tap it in with my fingers. Be careful: Check your face in shadowy light, too, before finishing your make up with this product, because you cant see its color in bright light. You dont want other people seing white-ish spots on your face.
    2. Foundation is great to reduce redness and some smaller scars, but I think less is more, at least for a man. I apply a thin layer on top of the linefiller mentioned above.Application technique is absolutely key, especially on scarred skin.I use a beautyblender sponge to apply foundation, it has a porous structure like actual skin, so it really gets the product into all the smaller cavities.
  5. Finally, a tip only for men:I am wearing a 10 day beard that covers about 1/4 of my face. I have a naturally thick beard, but if you dont have a thick beard, there are several products that make your beard grow, including minoxidil (Rogaine) which is usually used as a hairloss treatment. It might irritate your skin, be careful.

Of course, none of these measures can achieve the drastical results that dermatological scar treatments may. I have had my first subcision and filler treatment three months ago and I would say Igot an overall 40-50% improvement so far. Points 1-3 are complementary to scar treatments, though.

MemberMember
(@jazzypunctuation)

Posted : 06/11/2019 2:47 pm

I agree with most of the above 🙂

Have you also tried a vitamin c serum? It is an active that helps brighten the skin and fade pigmentation. It's now a holy grail product for me nowadays.

MemberMember
(@thiscommunityisawesome)

Posted : 06/12/2019 1:20 pm

22 hours ago, JazzyPunctuation said:

I agree with most of the above 🙂

Have you also tried a vitamin c serum? It is an active that helps brighten the skin and fade pigmentation. It's now a holy grail product for me nowadays.

I have not tried vitamin c, but I heard about it. Which specific product are you using?

MemberMember
(@jazzypunctuation)

Posted : 06/13/2019 6:00 am

I first started out with OZ naturals, but it didn't appear to do anything for me. Later I moved onto pricier and more wellknown brand names like Drunk Elephant. Now I am using the Mad Hippie Vitamin C serum, which I think is a excellent price point.

I started to notice the difference after 6 months of using Drunk Elephant. My acne scars used to be dark pits, surrounded by redness but now they are lighter and the redness has gone. In daylight the scars are not so noticeable.