Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewMickelson

Health problems due to vitamins?

Hello. I was taking 14 different vitamin pills for acne and skin for over one year period, including Vitamin A, B6, zinc, selenium, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C,  Vitamin E and others.
Lately, I started feeling muscles cramps, weakness in whole body and fatigue. Acne has CLEARED COMPLETELY. 
I also eliminated: Soy, diary, gluten, sweets, oil of any type(cooking without oil)and eating only fruits, vegetables, legumes, chicken and fish. Drinking only tea and water, however above symptoms I started to feel lately. Could these symptoms be due to long term intake of those vitamin pills? Should I stop taking them daily at all? Are they damaging my overall health? I am scared if I stop taking those vitamin supplements, that my acne will return shortly after stopping them. Any suggestions? 
Thank you. 

Can you list everything you take?

Vitamin A in retinol form is dangerous to take in high doses.

High Zinc reduces Magnesium, which could be causing the muscle cramps. Every vitamin affects others... would recommend taking a multi if intaking that many single vitamins, since they have complex, interactive effects. B vitamins should always be taken as a complex and not in isolation unless supplementing B12 as a vegan/vegetarian. 

I already wrote that above! Vitamin A retinol 50.000 IU a pill daily for 1 year and 7 months. And zinc 55 mg daily. This were the highest vitamin intake I took. The rest of them, just normal amounts. 

3 hours ago, AndrewMickelson said:

I already wrote that above! Vitamin A retinol 50.000 IU a pill daily for 1 year and 7 months. And zinc 55 mg daily. This were the highest vitamin intake I took. The rest of them, just normal amounts. 

why did you take above the recommended daily intake?  even a basic google search will tell you vitamin A and zinc both have side effects.

talk to a doctor.

Definitely speak to a doctor and stop taking the vitamins immediately until after.

It is dangerous to take more than 10,000IU a day of Vitamin A long-term; in animal form especially.

You should also keep zinc under 30mg for long-term use.

Check journal articles for these.

Please read up on forms of vitamins and safety before self-supplementing, as taking individual vitamins can also cause or mask deficiencies in others. 

Edited by Foodforthought