Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adultacne31

HELP Cystic Acne and dry sensitive skin

Hi looking for help

im a 31 year old female, I developed light acne around my jaw at about 27 and it was treatable with Epiduo Gel.

BUT 12 weeks ago I started taking lithium and 6 weeks ago I ceased taking it as my acne got worse and that’s a lithium side affect, stopping the meds did not help ( my doctor said it’s not lithum related or it wouldn’t be getting worse) and over the past 6 weeks my face chest and back has erupted in cystic and nodular acne it’s worse literally every day.

i am unable to wash or moisturise my face as I’m so ridiculously sensitive to over the counter crap, it brings me out in a rash around my mouth and chin.

Im about to begin Accutane and I’m worried about the effects it’s will have on my already dry sensitive skin. I am seeing a dermatologist in three days, but very much trusted GP said he’s quite sure Accutane will be the best option. 

Is my skin going to dry out and burn even more?

i don’t even know if I’m making sense but I would love to hear from anyone that suffers from dry sensitive skin and horrendous acne.

It’s definitely quite possible your skin will dry out more on Accutane, but I’ve never used it personally so I can’t say for sure. There must be something your doctor can prescribe, should your dryness get worse. When are you starting Accutane?