Notifications
Clear all

Body acne in adulthood

MemberMember
(@anchorsaway)

Posted : 08/29/2018 7:56 pm

I had bad facial acne in my teens. I even had it on my forearms. I took Accutane. I was fine until I had my son. Then I started getting body acne. Acne on my breasts and armpits. Strange bumps on my sides that if I pushed on would release a clear liquid. I assumed they were boils. 2 dermatologists tried a couple things with and nothing. My original dermatologist from my Accutane days retired. Well I got backtrim and nothing changed. Im now back on Accutane but its destroying my good skin so I need help/suggestions. A nurse said she thought it was HS but no one else has. Im beyond embarrassed

MemberMember
(@thinker5)

Posted : 09/11/2018 4:59 pm

Go to dermatologist

MemberMember
(@elainea)

Posted : 09/11/2018 8:00 pm

Another possibility would be microscopic demodex skin mites. The dermatologist should be able to test for bacterial, fungal or demodex infestation.

Everybody over the age of 5 has at least a few of these skin mites. The mites eat oil and sometimes get over-populated, especially when the immune system is down or suppressed.

If the issues are caused by demodex, a 2 week treatment with oral ivermectin and oral metronidazole can kill the mites off. Treatment was published in the International Journal of Infectious Disease in 2013. The paper is online here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S120197121201315X

Borax bath soaks and DIY Borax shampoo can also help treat the surface skin issues. The borax will kill the mites. Tea tree oil facial cleanser and tea tree oil moisturizer may also help.

You doctors should test for demodex or a fungal infection if they have not already done so.