Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I recently started taking 25mgs of spironolactone. My face is dry but other than that I haven’t noticed any side effects. Should I continue taking this pill or should I just try to get low dose accutane? My reasoning behind this is having to take spironolactone forever to keep clear skin?? My acne is mild but it causes depression and emotional problems for me. I’ve alwsys had 95% clear skin but started breaking out last year. I get a 2/3 cysts every 3-4 months. 

As someone who has done both, neither is a guarantee.  I've been on accutane 3 times and i'm still struggling.  I'm coming up on 3 years on Spiro and it is not working for me as well anymore.  I say give spiro a shoot at a decent dosage (3-6 months).  Also, it may help to get your lifestyle and diet in gear as this may make the transition off a bit easier.

49 minutes ago, leelowe1 said:

As someone who has done both, neither is a guarantee.  I've been on accutane 3 times and i'm still struggling.  I'm coming up on 3 years on Spiro and it is not working for me as well anymore.  I say give spiro a shoot at a decent dosage (3-6 months).  Also, it may help to get your lifestyle and diet in gear as this may make the transition off a bit easier.

My diet is pretty good and I’m in good shape. Workout and have watched what I eat my entire life. One of the things I’m scared about is gaining weight on spironolactone. That’s a huge no for me. Im not going to up my dosage due to the fact that my acne would classify as mild. I don’t have PCOS, all blood tests have come back “normal”. I’ve gone dairy free, acne stays the same. I breakout more during ovulation and when my period starts which is when testosterone is the highest? That’s why I figured it was due to my body being sensitive to androgens. I just don’t want to be on something forever. How bad is /was your acne?

I broke out more over ovulation.  I also tested within normal ranges,  but the ratio was off.
I avoid dairy and soy. You have to go COMPLETELY dairy and soy free for months to see results. I also discovered that anything with peanuts...yikes. 
I also eat grapefruit,  it assists in turning excess testosterone to estrogen.

1 hour ago, TheBean said:

I broke out more over ovulation.  I also tested within normal ranges,  but the ratio was off.
I avoid dairy and soy. You have to go COMPLETELY dairy and soy free for months to see results. I also discovered that anything with peanuts...yikes. 
I also eat grapefruit,  it assists in turning excess testosterone to estrogen.

I’ve been trying to figure this “hormone” imbalance for a year now. That’s why I’m thinking low dose accutane or just the spironolactone that I’m on now. Enough is enough. Diet didn’t effect my skin at all. That’s where I started first, then natural supplements. I have spent thousands on skin care. Nothing has worked. The only effect so far on spironolactone is dry skin. Like flaking off dry skin. It’s only been a week. 

13 hours ago, InspiredPole said:
14 hours ago, leelowe1 said:

My diet is pretty good and I’m in good shape. Workout and have watched what I eat my entire life. One of the things I’m scared about is gaining weight on spironolactone. That’s a huge no for me. Im not going to up my dosage due to the fact that my acne would classify as mild. I don’t have PCOS, all blood tests have come back “normal”. I’ve gone dairy free, acne stays the same. I breakout more during ovulation and when my period starts which is when testosterone is the highest? That’s why I figured it was due to my body being sensitive to androgens. I just don’t want to be on something forever. How bad is /was your acne?
My acne was the beginning side of moderate when i started and now I am at the point when i have a bad breakout to be on the end side of mild (definitely more than 3-5 pimples).  It's a personal decision so you need to do whats best for you.  The weight  gain is real unfortunately.  I gained between 10 and 20 pounds and half of that i attributed to spiro, the other half was due to bad eating habits.  

1 hour ago, leelowe1 said:
My acne was the beginning side of moderate when i started and now I am at the point when i have a bad breakout to be on the end side of mild (definitely more than 3-5 pimples).  It's a personal decision so you need to do whats best for you.  The weight  gain is real unfortunately.  I gained between 10 and 20 pounds and half of that i attributed to spiro, the other half was due to bad eating habits.  

Not everyone has gained weight on spironolactone. One of my friends took it for quite a while and gained nothing. I’m hoping I will be one of those people too. From what I’ve researched, the majority do not. Thanks for your response. That’s too bad it had that effect on you 
1 hour ago, leelowe1 said:

My bad breakouts are only 3-5 pimples. Only 1/2 would be categorized as inflammatory 

I was pretty determined to find a solution to my acne without prescriptions.  I really felt like my acne was rooted in too many chemicals,  medications,  food additives,  etc., over many years. Not to mention the risks to my health. I felt like my acne wasn't severe enough to justify it (it may be justified for some).
The first couple attempts at diet modification didn't help. I didn't go aggressively enough or long enough. It took me 3 years to find relief. It's not the easy or quick solution,  for sure. 

11 hours ago, TheBean said:

I was pretty determined to find a solution to my acne without prescriptions.  I really felt like my acne was rooted in too many chemicals,  medications,  food additives,  etc., over many years. Not to mention the risks to my health. I felt like my acne wasn't severe enough to justify it (it may be justified for some).
The first couple attempts at diet modification didn't help. I didn't go aggressively enough or long enough. It took me 3 years to find relief. It's not the easy or quick solution,  for sure. 

I think people should do whatever they choose to help with their acne. It effects everyone differently and not everyone will need the same treatment. Happiness and confidence is usually the end goal. I’m glad that changing your diet worked for you 

7 hours ago, Michelle waldron said:

I started to get bad side effects from spriloactone extra peeing so had to come off 

I’ve been on it for two weeks now. The only side effect has been dry facial skin. 

I'm in the exact same boat. I'm on month 4 of birth control without anything improving.
I have two options left: a second round of accutane (I really don't want that but I have no options) or spiro. Both have so many negative effects I just don't know anymore.

May I ask: ;why low dose of accutane? doesn't that take years. I'm curious about it since it didn't really cross my mind.

Oh and I heard that a dosage of 50 mg works better and it takes a few months before spiro kicks in, it might even get worse before better. But that's just from experiences I've heard

On 8/17/2018 at 4:38 PM, Yasminexra said:

I'm in the exact same boat. I'm on month 4 of birth control without anything improving.
I have two options left: a second round of accutane (I really don't want that but I have no options) or spiro. Both have so many negative effects I just don't know anymore.

May I ask: ;why low dose of accutane? doesn't that take years. I'm curious about it since it didn't really cross my mind.

Oh and I heard that a dosage of 50 mg works better and it takes a few months before spiro kicks in, it might even get worse before better. But that's just from experiences I've heard

Spironolactone is something you have to be on for an indefinite amount of time for it to work so I would rather just do the low dose accutane if it would get rid of the problem? My acne is actually quite mild but it’s persistence is driving me crazy and I don’t want the risk of scars. I’ve heard the dose of 50 for spironolactone is the most common but I wanted to try the lowest dose possible since my acne is mild. I’ve read a lot of dermatologists say 25 has worked for many peopl 

3 hours ago, InspiredPole said:
On 18-8-2018 at 12:38 AM, Yasminexra said:

Spironolactone is something you have to be on for an indefinite amount of time for it to work so I would rather just do the low dose accutane if it would get rid of the problem? My acne is actually quite mild but it’s persistence is driving me crazy and I don’t want the risk of scars. I’ve heard the dose of 50 for spironolactone is the most common but I wanted to try the lowest dose possible since my acne is mild. I’ve read a lot of dermatologists say 25 has worked for many peopl 

Same normally it's mild/moderate but it doesn't go away. And then there are always a few weeks where it suddenly gets severe, that's when I stay home usually (like now). Do you perhaps know how low dose accutane works? I assume it's going to take longer than 6 months to get to the cumulative dosage. Or does low dose mean that you won't reach that and just take a lower dose for the same amount of time ( 6 months).
I have an appointment in the morning so I'm trying to make a decision agh
Also I really hope spiro works for you, I would give it at least 2 /3 months or try 50 mg. Every body is different so maybe 50 mg is the lowest dose for you that will work? And if not maybe accutane can be an option

14 minutes ago, Yasminexra said:

Same normally it's mild/moderate but it doesn't go away. And then there are always a few weeks where it suddenly gets severe, that's when I stay home usually (like now). Do you perhaps know how low dose accutane works? I assume it's going to take longer than 6 months to get to the cumulative dosage. Or does low dose mean that you won't reach that and just take a lower dose for the same amount of time ( 6 months).
I have an appointment in the morning so I'm trying to make a decision agh
Also I really hope spiro works for you, I would give it at least 2 /3 months or try 50 mg. Every body is different so maybe 50 mg is the lowest dose for you that will work? And if not maybe accutane can be an option

From what I understand low dose accutane means lower dosage for a longer period of time. You can find people on here that only took 20mgs  of accutane a week. Some take 20mgs 3 days a week. 

I’m not sure if anyone is still following this post but. I just completed month two. Haven’t gained any weight. Only side effects I’m starting to notice: peeing more than normal. I have not had any inflamed acne and the one or two that have developed are really small and go away fast. I think it’s starting to work 

Sending positive vibes that your spiro journey is going well!  It has changed my life in so many ways and given me confidence and freedom.  5 years later I am so thankful for discovering this solution to the challenges of PCOS.  Stick with it wherever you are, if you can personally, the bright side at the end is worth it.

6 hours ago, CarpeMomentum said:

Sending positive vibes that your spiro journey is going well!  It has changed my life in so many ways and given me confidence and freedom.  5 years later I am so thankful for discovering this solution to the challenges of PCOS.  Stick with it wherever you are, if you can personally, the bright side at the end is worth it.

Thank you! 

Update,

everything is pretty much the same. No negative side effects. No weight gain. I’m not sure if I should keep taking it since I haven’t noticed a major difference??? 

I’m debating between spiro and second round accutane. I took spiro 2 years ago ,for four months and it didn’t do anything but make my acne worse. My Derm says to give it another try. Accutane has been the only thing that cleared me for 2 years. So confused and sad. I have scars. I hate my skin;(/

Edited by Goddess420

i would do the spiro again before accutane. it takes a long time to really work i think at least 6 months but best thing you can do is take an antibiotic for a few months while on it then slowly wean off. spiro was a godsend for me and has worked very well. i've been on it for over 6 years. i take 100mg a day.