Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yasminexra

Am I truly out of options? I Appreciate any input

Recommended Posts

Quote

I started birth control at 14 with an antibiotic to help with the acne. I hated the anitobiotic, it felt like my body (I already had stomach issues) was getting worse, so I stopped. I'm sorry to say that I can't remember, but I *think* it took a good 6 months - 1 year for my skin to clear up. This was in conjunction with a BP wash, differin 0.3%, and aczone. I'm still on the birth control due to convenience, 10 years later, but it also helps with acne. Switching from loryna to generic back to lornya put my hormones in a weird shock recently. 

Everything takes time, it sounds like your skin is already improving with the yaz! Though not where you want to be yet. I understand how you're feeling. I took yaz too until I was switched to loryna :) 



So did you experience break outs around month 3? It really feels like it isn't going to work but I'll give this some time. Hearing that ik took you quite a few months. When it got clear, did it eventually stay like that?

Indeed, my skin is not even remotely close to where I want it to be, that's what makes it so discouraging. Since accutane failed I can't trust anything. Because if BCP doesn't work what else is the problem then? What am I doing wrong. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Quote

As for the diet, I know where you're coming from. I'm recovered from ED from depression and anxiety for 1.5 years now. My skin started recovering too when I added back in more fats, like chia seeds, hemp, avocado, sesame oil, and almond butter. I definitely notice breakouts from artificial sugars, so I try to avoid desserts. 


Sorry to hear that but I'm glad you recovered. It really sucks, acne really comes with a full package doesn't it. I'm really confused with my diet right now. When you eat sugars, how fast do you notice a breakout? And how are you able to collaborate the link between certain food and your skin?

Quote


As for products, I use Pacifica kale detox and that stuff is strong, but it totally helped after a month of using it so far. I also use iS clinical hydra-cool serum and it helps my skin to calm down! I noticed I'm less red, especially now that I'm doing differin generic again. Cetaphil is NOT a good cleanser for acne. It's a generic by dermatologists because it's a standard, basic cleanser that works on everyone. Their products clogged my pores and broke me out. I would try to find a gentle foaming cleanser, with hypo-allogenic ingredients, to use with your ace products. Or try to find an AHA cleanser. I find BHA to be too strong to use on the daily, but it helps a few times a week. 

OH I totally forgot! hormonal acne I've heard can be helped from an amino acid called L-Lysine. A lot of people with this type of acne take these supplements and say it helps tremendously. A lot of the public is deficient in it, but I'm not sure how it'd be used with a hormonal birth control. This is just something to look into and research, especially for your body. 

Another thing, oil-free moisturizers can be pore-clogging as well. I used an oil-free gel for a month and a half and as a result got horrendous clogged pores that will take 3+ months to heal. I'm currently in month one? of my skin recovery from that but. I got pretty gnarly flare-ups due to my skin purging finally. 

They say for acne and oily skin an oil moisturizer or double cleansing is good. I can second the oil-based serum, but oil cleansers also clog my pores. It's all about experimenting. If you see breakouts immediately after using a new product then I would start spot-treating only and seeing how that area reacts (I say this but don't do it myself hahah). 

 


I'll definitely look up L-Lysine. Thank you. I will also look up the products later on, right now I needed to find a culprit so sticking to cetaphil seems like the right thing. Since it's non-irritating. I also analyzed the recent ingredients and all were okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best way to exfoliate an already bumpy, irritated skin is chemical exfoliation.Scrubbing bumpy skin will further aggravates the skin. Since you have an oily skin like me, I recommend a BHA (salicylic acid). Chemical exfoliation helps with acne by helping your skin gently shed dead skin cells that are obstructing your pores and making you breakout (i.e. it tries to stop most, not all, breakouts from happening). When picking a BHA product, find one that is free of alcohol, colorant, and fragrance: these ingredients are very irritating. Also, find one that is in a liquid format so that way you avoid the possibility of the product being comedogenic. When starting out with BHA, start slow and then work your way up to avoid purging or irritation of any sort (nobody likes set backs). Start with using it  every 3-4 days and then graduate to every other day. 
My recommendations:
Paula choice SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Liquid or
Paula choice CLEAR Regular Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution With 2% Salicylic Acid

Here is the two products' cosmetic analysis:
Skin perfecting 2% BHA
Clear anti-redness exfoliating solution
Compare both products review and analysis and see which one you prefer. 


BTW, I swear I do not work for paula's choice; it is just that, aside the products I make myself, they are the only skincare company I agree with for the most part :) 
Kind regards; I will be here if you need me.

Edit: I forgot to mention if you do decide to buy either of the recommended BHA's, there will be no need for to buy a toner anymore. Also, to make these exfoliation solution last, pour a little in your hands and apply to your face rather than a cotton pad. 


 

Edited by besimple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, besimple said:

The best way to exfoliate an already bumpy, irritated skin is chemical exfoliation.Scrubbing bumpy skin will further aggravates the skin. Since you have an oily skin like me, I recommend a BHA (salicylic acid). Chemical exfoliation helps with acne by helping your skin gently shed dead skin cells that are obstructing your pores and making you breakout (i.e. it tries to stop most, not all, breakouts from happening). When picking a BHA product, find one that is free of alcohol, colorant, and fragrance: these ingredients are very irritating. Also, find one that is in a liquid format so that way you avoid the possibility of the product being comedogenic. When starting out with BHA, start slow and then work your way up to avoid purging or irritation of any sort (nobody likes set backs). Start with using it  every 3-4 days and then graduate to every other day. 
My recommendations:
Paula choice SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Liquid or
Paula choice CLEAR Regular Strength Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution With 2% Salicylic Acid

Here is the two products' cosmetic analysis:
Skin perfecting 2% BHA
Clear anti-redness exfoliating solution
Compare both products review and analysis and see which one you prefer. 


BTW, I swear I do not work for paula's choice; it is just that, aside the products I make myself, they are the only skincare company I agree with for the most part :) 
Kind regards; I will be here if you need me.

Edit: I forgot to mention if you do decide to buy either of the recommended BHA's, there will be no need for to buy a toner anymore. Also, to make these exfoliation solution last, pour a little in your hands and apply to your face rather than a cotton pad. 


 


Thank you! I already  came across the skin perfecting 2% bha many times but I didn't realize it could be used as an exfoliater, makes sense.
Right now I'm keeping a very simple skincare routine, my skin has calmed down a littleee regarding the irritation I had a few days ago. It is still nowhere near clear nonetheless. Maybe I'll keep incorporating more stuff later on, that's why I'm trying to have a new skincare routine ready in advance.
Also shouldn't I use toner on days I don't use the bha solution or after removing make up?

I believe you, I'm glad you're recommending a product line you believe works.


Update: recently instead of my usual cysts and pustules I'm getting small/ decent sized bumps that go away or shrink overnight, without treating them. Do you know what those are or what that means? They resemble pimples (in the beginning fases) but at the same time it isn't really. They also don't really come to a head or anything. I'm confused. I'm sure I'll get a full blown breakout again very soon but I'm still curious as to why this is happening since it has been like this for almost 2 weeks now.

Besides that my skin also gets "swollen" and red veryy easily which, normally all the redness came from inflammations on my face. I don't know how this happened but I can safely assume that I have sensitive oily acne prone skin, right? (that was a mouthful)

I'm asking so many questions sorry >.<

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently we have the same skin type: sensitive, oily skin. The little bumps are called white heads even though they are skin color and not white. The other name for it is closed comedones. Closed comedones with only a few pustles/papules is actually considered light acne as it is easily treated with salicylic and retinoid. I will honestly say I think your BCP is working :). This does not mean you would not get a few breakouts here and there: everybody do get breakouts once in a while even those with normal, perfect skin. Anyways, the BHA, especially the clear anti-redness one, will help with the closed comedones- just be sure to start slow and work your frequency up. And then when your skin accepts the BHA with no issue, add the differin, an over the counter retinoid, once a week for at least a month before progressing to 2x a week for another 2 months; do not be tempted to use it every day no matter what the box says because it will cause irritation and initial breakouts aka purging, which I know we all hate. 
BTW, I do not mind all your questions; in my head your my friend or better yet my little sister in need of help and comfort.
Kind regards; remember, I am always here.

Edit: I totally forgot to answer your question about toner. Toner in a skincare routine is optional if you make sure to remove your makeup thoroughly and wash your face with a non residue leaving cleanser (btw, be sure you are rinsing your face very well after cleansing). I personally only wash my face at night and rinse my face with plain water in the morning until I feel refreshed. This has really helped me get somewhat less oily and less irritated. Cleansing your face once a day only when it is actually dirty prevents your from damaging your skin's natural barrier. Damaged skin barrier contributes to sensitivity.
Have you started using the cetaphil cleanser? how are you liking it? 

Edit: I will be skipping differin; I discovered that a well formulated BHA is enough. I just felt I give you a heads up. 

Edited by besimple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Yasminexra said:



So did you experience break outs around month 3? It really feels like it isn't going to work but I'll give this some time. Hearing that ik took you quite a few months. When it got clear, did it eventually stay like that?

Indeed, my skin is not even remotely close to where I want it to be, that's what makes it so discouraging. Since accutane failed I can't trust anything. Because if BCP doesn't work what else is the problem then? What am I doing wrong. Thank you for sharing your experience!


Sorry to hear that but I'm glad you recovered. It really sucks, acne really comes with a full package doesn't it. I'm really confused with my diet right now. When you eat sugars, how fast do you notice a breakout? And how are you able to collaborate the link between certain food and your skin?


I'll definitely look up L-Lysine. Thank you. I will also look up the products later on, right now I needed to find a culprit so sticking to cetaphil seems like the right thing. Since it's non-irritating. I also analyzed the recent ingredients and all were okay.


This was a long time ago but I'm sure it started improving around then. I wasn't fully clear until I was in my junior year of high school, after starting in 8th grade. I was clear with a few breakouts and pimples here and there until.. April this year lol. 

I use the Chinese face map to figure out what's happening on my face. I've been having a lot of stomach problems and stress recently so this could be attributing to it. If anything, it wouldn't hurt to try and see a holistic doctor? Have you had any tests done to see if you're deficient in anything? Or check your hormone levels? 

If it works then stick with it, for the cetaphil!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13-7-2018 at 3:03 PM, besimple said:

Apparently we have the same skin type: sensitive, oily skin. The little bumps are called white heads even though they are skin color and not white. The other name for it is closed comedones. Closed comedones with only a few pustles/papules is actually considered light acne as it is easily treated with salicylic and retinoid. I will honestly say I think your BCP is working :). This does not mean you would not get a few breakouts here and there: everybody do get breakouts once in a while even those with normal, perfect skin. Anyways, the BHA, especially the clear anti-redness one, will help with the closed comedones- just be sure to start slow and work your frequency up. And then when your skin accepts the BHA with no issue, add the differin, an over the counter retinoid, once a week for at least a month before progressing to 2x a week for another 2 months; do not be tempted to use it every day no matter what the box says because it will cause irritation and initial breakouts aka purging, which I know we all hate. 
BTW, I do not mind all your questions; in my head your my friend or better yet my little sister in need of help and comfort.
Kind regards; remember, I am always here.

Edit: I totally forgot to answer your question about toner. Toner in a skincare routine is optional if you make sure to remove your makeup thoroughly and wash your face with a non residue leaving cleanser (btw, be sure you are rinsing your face very well after cleansing). I personally only wash my face at night and rinse my face with plain water in the morning until I feel refreshed. This has really helped me get somewhat less oily and less irritated. Cleansing your face once a day only when it is actually dirty prevents your from damaging your skin's natural barrier. Damaged skin barrier contributes to sensitivity.
Have you started using the cetaphil cleanser? how are you liking it? 

Edit: I will be skipping differin; I discovered that a well formulated BHA is enough. I just felt I give you a heads up. 


Sorry for the late reply. It was really hard to even open up my laptop. Yes I thought the BCP was finally working too, I still felt really bad but because my acne was almost gone I was able to do some things outside. But soon after that I experienced not a normal breakout like you said but just bad acne like before starting BCP. Just my whole chin exploded, and when that happens I can't even eat since it hurts and itches soo much. There appeared some pustules on places where I didn't have them for 2 weeks (hence why I thought the birth control was working initially). I shut down completely and since then  I'm just so so devastated but also done, don't waste your time on me anymore I'm just a hopeless case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 8:55 PM, Yasminexra said:
Thank you! It just sucks when cysts come back when they're gone for a few days. I'd rather have them continuously in that case because the shock is so big. I will keep your tips in mind, normally I just put on vinegar but I guess I shouldn't do that. Also, do you recommend exfoliating? And if so, what is the best way?

You're right. In my case I can't go outside so I try to listen to music or sing. It doesn't make me happy but it keeps my mind a little calm.

Again, thanks a lot! Giving me tips and recommendations but also even offering to talk means a lot to me.
That's a long time! Hope you're doing okay.

I'm also leaning towards the decision of not going on spiro. I just feel like it will make the ''worse before better'' stage come back, and then I'll never be able to tell whether BCP worked. Correct me if I'm wrong.
(I'm completely convinced I'm one of the cases nothing will work on but I still need to try before saying that confidently.)

I'm sorry to go against your words, I really appreciate it. But I tried doing all those things to be happy for years. It just doesn't work. However, I'm still thankful.

 

I suffer from clinical depression too so know how hard it is for your body to want to do those things when your mind is fighting it every step of the way.  I definitely understand wanting to give BC a chance before adding anything else.  Spiro unfortunately did break me out something fierce when i first started and even now (currently going through a pretty decent breakout).  Are you in therapy.  I am and it helps me tremendously when i am going through my depressive episodes.  I still have my moments of sadness but i'm still moving forward as best as i can.  It may help to have a licensed professional to talk to.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My case is exaclty like yours, with the only difference being I'm a male, so it can be hormonal for me. I wanna kill myself, I've lost over 10kg in the last months. All I need is literally someone, either to magically make my acne disappear or kill me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2018 at 10:09 AM, SpankingRival said:

My case is exaclty like yours, with the only difference being I'm a male, so it can be hormonal for me. I wanna kill myself, I've lost over 10kg in the last months. All I need is literally someone, either to magically make my acne disappear or kill me. 


Hang in there.  Acne sucks and it really can at times feel like the end of the world.  While you are dealing with the physical effects of it, take care of your mental health (that is so important).  Do things that make you feel happy:

paint
play an instrument
write
pray
go out with friends

Every time your skin makes you want to be a hermit, force yourself to do the opposite and get outside.   Tell yourself you are awesome and that you are not your skin.  None of these things are easy and i struggle with them every single day but you are defintely worth the effort


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30-7-2018 at 7:58 PM, besimple said:

Hey, just checking in on you. 

Hi, thank you. Sorry for the late reply, I'm still doing the same if not worse.
On 1-8-2018 at 3:11 PM, leelowe1 said:

I suffer from clinical depression too so know how hard it is for your body to want to do those things when your mind is fighting it every step of the way.  I definitely understand wanting to give BC a chance before adding anything else.  Spiro unfortunately did break me out something fierce when i first started and even now (currently going through a pretty decent breakout).  Are you in therapy.  I am and it helps me tremendously when i am going through my depressive episodes.  I still have my moments of sadness but i'm still moving forward as best as i can.  It may help to have a licensed professional to talk to.    
I'm on month 4 regarding the BC and I'm having the worst breakout ever,  and I just discovered that in my country spiro is not an option anyways. I really don't know what to do

First of all thank you for your reply. I've been in therapy for years but in the end nothing seems to help, I'm still in therapy  rn but when my acne gets this bad I just can't get outside so it's hard to even see my psychologist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2018 at 4:40 PM, Yasminexra said:
Hi, thank you. Sorry for the late reply, I'm still doing the same if not worse. I'm on month 4 regarding the BC and I'm having the worst breakout ever,  and I just discovered that in my country spiro is not an option anyways. I really don't know what to do

First of all thank you for your reply. I've been in therapy for years but in the end nothing seems to help, I'm still in therapy  rn but when my acne gets this bad I just can't get outside so it's hard to even see my psychologist.


Therapy unfortunately can be a long and sometimes lifetime process.  I've been seeing one on and off since 2008.  Sometimes the only thing we can do is put one foot in front of the other and keep taking it day by day (or even hour by hour).  My skin has been pretty bad in certain areas and it is becoming quite apparent that spiro is losing it's effectiveness.  I dread having to start this process all over again, especially since my skin generally cannot tolerate topicals.  I say all this to say that i can choose to give up on the other good things in my life because of my skin or take it one day at a time, skin eruptions and all.  

Please don't allow this disease to take over your life.  You are so much more than your skin and you have many people that care about you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, leelowe1 said:


Therapy unfortunately can be a long and sometimes lifetime process.  I've been seeing one on and off since 2008.  Sometimes the only thing we can do is put one foot in front of the other and keep taking it day by day (or even hour by hour).  My skin has been pretty bad in certain areas and it is becoming quite apparent that spiro is losing it's effectiveness.  I dread having to start this process all over again, especially since my skin generally cannot tolerate topicals.  I say all this to say that i can choose to give up on the other good things in my life because of my skin or take it one day at a time, skin eruptions and all.  

Please don't allow this disease to take over your life.  You are so much more than your skin and you have many people that care about you.  

Yes I'm also trying to keep it day by day, thank you for the advice. I try to sleep as late as possible to avoid the day and stay inside. The thing is I do that till my acne gets a little bit ''better'', which means that sometimes I can stay inside for months.

How do you deal with the day by day? For example if you have school or work. Normally I would call in sick for school but I'm not confident I can go through this with university. I'm even considering cancelling this whole year.

Thank you, I'm everyday so so close to just wanting to end it all but still something in me tries to hang onto the next day. I really hope you take your own advice as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2018 at 4:44 PM, Yasminexra said:

Yes I'm also trying to keep it day by day, thank you for the advice. I try to sleep as late as possible to avoid the day and stay inside. The thing is I do that till my acne gets a little bit ''better'', which means that sometimes I can stay inside for months.

How do you deal with the day by day? For example if you have school or work. Normally I would call in sick for school but I'm not confident I can go through this with university. I'm even considering cancelling this whole year.

Thank you, I'm everyday so so close to just wanting to end it all but still something in me tries to hang onto the next day. I really hope you take your own advice as well.
Hi,

just hang now there. I know acne can cause major emotional problems. I’ve been trying to figure out my skin for the last year and it’s frustrating. For me, I’ve finally realized less is more. I don’t wear a moisturizer in the day anymore and I only wear SPF if I don’t wear makeup that day. Anything else is too much for my skin and I get the tiny closed comedowns. (Maybe Folliculitis?) I use a serum at night and alternate a moisturizer. I can only exfoliate (chemical) once a week or I will break out. I guess I have small pores and the turnover and irritation products induce block my pores. That’s why I stopped all facials and chemical peels. They just made me breakout like crazy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm late to the party, but there's a lot of resources out there these days. If you're still struggling with this, I'd definitely recommend using skincarisma.com to check ingredients for all the products you use. Also, you can look into the possibility of fungal acne treatments, and if accutane worked well for you back then, perhaps a topical retinoid would help, or even taking vitamin A in various forms orally (cod liver oil, multivitamin, etc), or not, but at least a retinoid will help your skin in general even if it doesn't do much against the acne. I also found two blogs quite helpful (https://simpleskincarescience.com/ and http://www.skinacea.com/how-to/get-rid-of-dark-circles.html#.XQMy4PlKgWo). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People on this thread likely have fungal acne, not ordinary acne.

Fungal acne is caused by taking antibiotics and some other meds, including steroids and birth control pills. You can get rid of the fungal acne by doing the following -

1. Buy clotrimazole antifungal cream and apply it to the affected areas 2-3 times a day.

2. Wash your hair in an antidandruff shampoo.

3. Do NOT apply any moisturisers or organic oils to the affected areas.

4. If the acne is on your body, dust the affected areas in antifungal powder.

If you get back to me with answers to the questions below, I can provide targeted information for your situation..

Have you taken antibiotics or other meds. If you have taken antibiotics, which ones ?

Do you have one or more of the following (plus acne) - white coating on your tongue, dandruff, flaking skin, toenail fungus, itchy and/or painful skin, red rash/es, unexplained tiredness, headaches, "brain fog", stomach or gut problems, sinus problems.

Dermatologists, and doctors generally, know nothing about fungal acne and similar fungal skin conditions. They will likely prescribe antibiotics and/or steroids and/or accutane, which will make fungal acne worse and worse.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes

×