Help! 30 year old f...

Notifications
Clear all

Help! 30 year old female with sudden acne all over cheeks

MemberMember
(@sophie1987)

Posted : 05/22/2018 10:42 am

Hi, I am going to try to make this short. I am a 30 year old female that has had mild acne and pimples all my life. I get a few breakouts here and there especially during those times of the month. I have always been able to wear a simple tinted moisturizer with concealer. A few days ago I noticed a sudden acne like rash or explosion of small red marks all over my cheeks. I have never had acne this intense. It is definitely worse on the right side of my face vs. the left which is common for me. It's weird because it feels evenly bumpy like a rash but it looks like acne. It really don't even want to go out looking like this as I've had 90% clear skin up until now. My skin has always felt so smooth. This is a drastic change.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what could have happened. Now I do have some ideas. I've recently been eating better and have cut processed sugar almost completely. I still have fruits and whole foods but have never had reactions to any particular types of whole foods. My face does not get worse with dairy, meats etc. I buy organic and free range everything anyhow. Now, I've been trying to add supplements for health and I bought some maca powder to add to my smoothies to help regulate my hormones. I have been adding only about a 1/4 teaspoon though. It doesn't seem like enough to cause this intense of a reaction. I know it can raise testosterone which could ultimately lead to more breakouts. This seems like a very exaggerated response though. I've also been taking a burdock tincture and after my skin erupted I've been trying reishi and a liver support tonic. I don't think reishi or the liver support has made it worse. If anything the left side of my face seems slightly better. I could almost feel okay about my face if it wasn't for the right side.

I guess my question is do you think maca or burdock could have caused such an intense reaction? Has anyone had worsening of acne like this from either and how long did it take to go back to normal? I've cut them both for now, and am thinking of cutting my liver tonic as well. I just want everything to calm down now. I've been doing my manuka honey facial masks as usual, but the pimples aren't really going away like normal. Marks from left over acne can take weeks to heal for me too. My skincare is mostly the same and I don't really breakout from products.

I've been thinking of adding cod liver oil (for vitamin A & D), Vitamin E & C, zinc, b vitamins, probiotics and maybe a few more delicate herbs. I already take magnesium. I wanted to try Vitex, but I'm afraid it could make things worse too. 

Any ideas? I'm worried that my face will stay this way forever now. Sleep usually heals my breakouts too, but that doesn't seem to be helping this.

I've added pics. The right side is the second photo. I am wearing  a tinted moisturizer, so it's a lot more red underneath.

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3522.JPG

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 05/22/2018 5:02 pm

My friend actually ran into this same problem. She went to the doctor to see what the heck was going on and the only thing they could suggest was an allergic reaction to something. I'm a consultant for Rodan and Fields so I sold her the Unblemish regimen to see if it would help. She was skeptical since it was supposedly an allergic reaction, but 2 months in, and she said her acne has completely cleared up. Whatever the cause, I'm happy it helped! I use the products religiously so if you have any questions about it, just let me know.

MemberMember
(@sophie1987)

Posted : 05/22/2018 9:13 pm

Thanks klessard, interesting products. I already have products with similar ingredients, including sulfur and the like. I'm a big fan of topicals as they do really help. I know a lot of people don't get results from salicylic acid (or willow bark which I use) but I do. In normal circumstances it works really well on my hormones acne.
I tried putting on a light layer of 1% cortisone cream this morning and the bumps actually already seem better this afternoon. I won't continue to use the cortisone though, I just wanted to see if it was an inflammatory reaction. I also used a chamomile zinc based cream.

I went to my local health food store and got a few goodies to try out. Some borage oil, echinacea (as I've read this can be good for acne and inflammation), zinc, vitamin E, C, D & K2. I already have turmeric at home and I'm going to continue with the Reishi tincture as it's good for keeping testosterone at bay.