Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ohwow

Should I still continue Accutane?

Hey guys I’m new on this and I was wondering if I could get any advice on my Accutane Journey. It’s literally only been week and the drug has beaten me up lol. 

I've stuggled with acne for about 4 years (16) so I’m now 20 years old and these past few years has gotten to a point where I literally only leave my house for work and University. Acne has ruined my social life. 

I started Accutane a week ago on dose of 20mgs a day and I’ve already had many symptoms:

Day 1 and 2 were totally fine just a bit tired and achy as I usually am. 

Day 3 - I felt feverish symptoms. My skin felt very hot as I was about to sleep but the next day I was still warm and then a bit cold. 

Day 4 - I felt very *WARNING* lol gassy and I’ve done a lot of research about the drug and saw it was connected to IBS/Crohns disease. I also felt very weak and a nervous type feeling you could say? Not sure

Day 5 - I felt much better and thought everything passed over, I only felt a bit weak and fatigue. 

Day 6 - WORSE DAY (Skip if necessary): I felt perfectly fine and took the pill in the morning with my breakfast and as the day went on I was extremely gassy and bloated. I was at Uni now this day so I thought  just needed to eat so I did and I later had diarrhoea. I’ve never experienced ibs problems before Accutane so it’s not a coincidence. 

Day 7 - I didn’t take my dose today and I’m recovering but I still have stomach issues. 

Ps I also think it’s affecting my eye sight but nothing too bad. 

Thank you if anyone is even reading till this point. I just need some advice, I really want to continue take my dosage. I just want acne out of my life it’s literally put a pause on my confidence and social life. 

I know now these are concerning issues and I have consulted with my derm I just want some extra help. 

I also experienced my worst side-effects at the week two point, so right near the beginning of my course. However, considering the severity of your reaction and how soon it has kicked in I would go and see your doctor. You say that you've consulted your derm and they say these are concerning issues - have they recommended that you stop the course?

For many people Accutane is a completely safe medication. But some people have a bad reaction to it and its very important to listen to your body. 

On 16/05/2018 at 9:13 AM, Jollyhohnson said:

I also experienced my worst side-effects at the week two point, so right near the beginning of my course. However, considering the severity of your reaction and how soon it has kicked in I would go and see your doctor. You say that you've consulted your derm and they say these are concerning issues - have they recommended that you stop the course?

For many people Accutane is a completely safe medication. But some people have a bad reaction to it and its very important to listen to your body. 

Thanks for replying, it’s been over a month since my post and I’m coping much better with the Accutane. My derm didn’t seem worried about all of my side effects which I was surprised about, I thought I might die! Lol 

But here and there I get dizziness and bad joint pain, I would say I’m still concerned about my symptoms but I’m doing much better considering everything that happened in the first week. 

Glad things are going better. I had some really bad headaches at one point, and during week 2-3 my face was incredibly itchy and sensitive. But these side effects disappeared as my body got used to the medication. It's now 6 months since I finished Accutane and I have no remaining side-effects. I hope your course goes well!