Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mh2020

New Salicylic Acid Regimen and Continuous Purging??

I'm a 19-year-old female, and after four weeks of maintaining the same skincare routine consisting of 2% salicylic acid, never missing a morning or a night regimen, I feel like I'm slowly losing hope for my current skincare routine (will identify the products I use and the order I use them below for those interested).

History
I've had my fair share of acne throughout my life, and between prescribed topicals, prescribed pills, and eventually being prescribed birth control (which I had to switch once due to the development of unwanted cystic acne), I've recently come to the conclusion that, besides my birth control, I'd rather steer clear of anything prescribed by a derm and stick with over the counter. I desire this for a number of reasons, money-wise (my prescriptions were easily $200 a piece), as well as looking into the future and weighing the pros and cons of having to keep revisiting the derm for refills, paying copays, and the likelihood that my skin would become immune to the topical anyways after a certain amount of time. 

Current
Until mid-January 2018, I had been strictly using African Black Soap, Tea Tree Toner, Witch Hazel, as well as Tea Tree topicals and Rosehip oil, aiming to approach my skin in a more 'natural' way, however, my skin didn't get better at all and I maintained getting under the skin pimples that would never come to a head, cystic acne if you will. I stopped, and recently went out and bought a whole new, simpler, yet non-natural regimen, and have been religiously using it for going on 4 weeks (began Jan 28 and it's currently Feb 24). 

Within the first week my acne had began to come to a head, all of the underground pimples were slowly opening up and coming to the surface, which was relieving. I developed papules in my usual places (cheeks, chin, jawline) that would go away quicker than usual. Over the course of the next 3 weeks, my skin would clear up tremendously, also within this time I had cut down a lot on dairy products (I still have a few food items here and there with milk ingredients, but not drinking glasses of milk or eating yogurts as I used to). Since then, I haven't gotten a single (fingers crossed) underground pimple. However, along the way, I've gotten whiteheads and papules, and until this week (fourth week) I hadn't gotten them in such a large quantity since the first week I started the regimen. It's nowhere near as severe as my acne used to be, but it is aggravating in the sense that I want my acne to clear up, and feel as though the purging stage should be close to an end. 

I've read that purging can come and go throughout the first 6-8 weeks of treatment, and considering my background of having bad acne, I'm wondering if maybe this purging process is lingering on due to the fact that I have many areas likely clogged with tons of gunk. 

Does anyone seem to think this may be the case and this new purge 'breakout' is simply temporary and another instance of de-clogging pores, or may this just be a sign that my salicylic acid treatment isn't going to work completely to get rid of ALL of my acne? I'm determined to make it 8 weeks maintaining this same regimen, as I want to see the full results. But was wondering if anyone had similar experiences or may know more than I do as it's a big let down being halfway through the 8 weeks and seeing a new swarm of whiteheads. 

Thank you! And sorry for the essay!

Products Used

In the mornings I use (with Mia 1 Clarisonic)...

• Mario Badescu Acne Facial Cleanser (2% Salicylic Acid)
  • Mario Badescu Special Cucumber Lotion
  • Mario Badescu Facial Spray (Aloe, Cucumber, and Green Tea)
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing GEL
In the evenings I use (with Mia 1 Clarisonic)...
  • Mario Badescu Acne Facial Cleaner (2% Salicylic Acid)
  • Mario Badescu Special Cucumber Lotion
  • Mario Badescu Facial Spray
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
  • SheaMoisture 100% Grapeseed Oil

NOTE: I also maintain a relatively healthy diet, mainly dairy-free for 2+ weeks now, and drink 8+ glasses of water a day. 

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes