Notifications
Clear all

I'm 50 and Breaking Out All Over My Forehead

MemberMember
(@contentedlamb)

Posted : 02/12/2018 7:18 pm

I've never really had acne problems in my adult years, but for the last year or so I've had these breakouts on my forehead and temple areas. I've tried nearly all the over the counter acne medications I could find in the stores (even some the the expensive "Pro Active types", but nothing seems to make this get better. I don't eat much if any sugar, and live a relatively healthy lifestyle (no drinking, smoking or drugs). I'm at the point now that I only leave the house if I wear a hat or sweatband to at least partially cover these blemishes. I'm convinced that this is not even acne at all, and that I'm going about this the wrong way.
They do not hurt or itch, and are in various sizes, some quite large .
Any advice? I've attached pictures.

DSC09698.JPG

DSC09700.JPG

MemberMember
(@avshalom)

Posted : 02/16/2018 7:02 pm

That's definitely not acne! I would look into pityrosporum folliciulits or melassezia folliculitis (I probably spelled these wrong!) 
But anyways, this condition is caused by a yeast! A yeast that lives on everyones skin but in certain individuals causes problems :( 

MemberMember
(@hospitalbum)

Posted : 02/19/2018 3:25 pm

Doesn't appear to be acne. If anything, just large, closed comedones.

What it also reminded me of was something viral, but harmless called molluscum contagiosum.

MemberMember
(@contentedlamb)

Posted : 02/20/2018 8:10 am

I bought some Athlete's Foot medication (Clotrimazole USP 1%, Antifungal cream). I'll apply it to my forehead twice a day and report back any changes. If that doesn't work, I may try Compound W.

MemberMember
(@hospitalbum)

Posted : 02/20/2018 3:17 pm

So you think its something fungal? It doesn't look fungal, although I haven't done much research. Are they fluid filled? Is a dermatologist not an option?

MemberMember
(@jj71)

Posted : 02/21/2018 1:16 pm

Here's a good post on PF with photos. I struggled with this for a year while the derms gave me acne topicals that did nothing except burn my skin. When I finally figured out it might be fungal, I used Nizoral (like the person in the post below), and it cleared up within a week. Yours looks less uniform, so might be something different, but Nizoral won't hurt anything and will work quickly if it's PF.

MemberMember
(@contentedlamb)

Posted : 02/24/2018 5:57 pm

After about 5 days of usingClotrimazole USP 1%, Antifungal cream, I don't appear to see much, if any difference in my forehead's condition, so I'm not sure it's fungal (they are also not filled with fluid, in answer to the post above). Perhaps I need to continue longer (I believe the box said 2-4 weeks).
I'd also like to try the poster's suggestion above of Nizoral. Are you referring to the dandruff shampoo? If so, do I just rub it on my forehead a couple times a day, like a cream? I tried Head and Shoulders shampoo that way for a few weeks but saw no results, so hopefully Nizoral is different.

MemberMember
(@terry4721)

Posted : 05/05/2018 8:40 am

I have the same bumps, it's sebaceous hyperplasia.

TheBean liked
MemberMember
(@contentedlamb)

Posted : 05/06/2018 7:53 pm

On 5/5/2018 at 9:40 AM, Terry4721 said:

I have the same bumps, it's sebaceous hyperplasia.

What are you using for treatment? I've been more or less keeping it in check by using apple cider vinegar on my forehead twice a day, but the bumps are still there.

MemberMember
(@netrox)

Posted : 06/02/2018 5:24 pm

On 2/12/2018 at 4:18 PM, ContentedLamb said:

I've never really had acne problems in my adult years, but for the last year or so I've had these breakouts on my forehead and temple areas. I've tried nearly all the over the counter acne medications I could find in the stores (even some the the expensive "Pro Active types", but nothing seems to make this get better. I don't eat much if any sugar, and live a relatively healthy lifestyle (no drinking, smoking or drugs). I'm at the point now that I only leave the house if I wear a hat or sweatband to at least partially cover these blemishes. I'm convinced that this is not even acne at all, and that I'm going about this the wrong way.
They do not hurt or itch, and are in various sizes, some quite large .
Any advice? I've attached pictures.

DSC09698.JPG

DSC09700.JPG

It's definitely sebaceous hyperplasia as I have the same problem. I posted just a while ago () and I find that Differin works well in my case. They don't completely clear up but they "flatten" down thus making them unnoticeable. 

Have you tried Differin? I am just surprised there's so little information about that common condition. 

MemberMember
(@contentedlamb)

Posted : 06/09/2018 7:31 am

I bought 2 products. The first, which I am using now is "Purple Emu Redness & Blemish Control". I heard about it from this video:

I've only been using it for 3 weeks so I'm not sure if it's doing anything. I use it at night before going to bed. I think it might be working, but who knows. I don't wash my face again until the next evening before I apply the treatment again.

The 2nd product I have on hand is a 5% Retinol/Vitamin A cream (2 oz). If I don't see any results from the 1st product after it's finished (it's only a 1/2 ounce), I planned on moving on to the 2nd product. Cost $50 for the two products total.

I'm anxious to try the product you recommended. Is it the "Differin Adapalene Gel Acne Treatment" located here?:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Differin-Adapalene-Gel-Acne-Treatment-1-6oz/55097771

MemberMember
(@netrox)

Posted : 06/13/2018 2:58 pm

On 6/9/2018 at 5:31 AM, ContentedLamb said:

I bought 2 products. The first, which I am using now is "Purple Emu Redness & Blemish Control". I heard about it from this video:

I've only been using it for 3 weeks so I'm not sure if it's doing anything. I use it at night before going to bed. I think it might be working, but who knows. I don't wash my face again until the next evening before I apply the treatment again.

The 2nd product I have on hand is a 5% Retinol/Vitamin A cream (2 oz). If I don't see any results from the 1st product after it's finished (it's only a 1/2 ounce), I planned on moving on to the 2nd product. Cost $50 for the two products total.

I'm anxious to try the product you recommended. Is it the "Differin Adapalene Gel Acne Treatment" located here?:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Differin-Adapalene-Gel-Acne-Treatment-1-6oz/55097771

Yes, it is the one. The price there is a bit too high. Try Amazon.com for a cheaper price. I noticed the effects about two weeks after application. I put them on after I shower everyday. It dries like gel so it won't leave greasy residues or anything. Let me know if it helps your bumps. Mine shrank significantly - they're still there but not as noticeable as they used to be. They're much more flattened. I'd love to know if others are having the same result.

MemberMember
(@silavana)

Posted : 06/13/2018 4:59 pm

Good luck, I hope you get results with these new products. Otherwise, I'll give my broken record response. If you exhaust all OTC medications, you may want to visit a dermatologist. I'll check back to see how it goes.