Notifications
Clear all

Is it time to give up on my face?

MemberMember
(@blue_boye)

Posted : 01/18/2018 8:36 pm

I am turning 18 next month and my face is nearly just as bad as it was when I was 13.
After almost 6 years of battling acne, I feel defeated. I've been living the "I have tried everything and nothing ever worked" nightmare since 3 years ago, and even then I managed to find new ways to waste my parent's money, my time, energy and emotional durability, hoping that my face would get just a little cleaner. The results? I am somewhat able to look in the mirror without feeling completely disgusted. And all that's only because I've been on antibiotics for nearly 3 months now. As soon as I get off of them, i'll be back to looking unsightlyin a week or two.Wearing the skin of a 13 year old boy as a 18 year old.
I am not gonna lie, I am about 100% done with this; it appears I am truly a hopeless case. Of all the treatments and skincare routines I've tried over the years the only thing that brought me temporary relief was Tetralysal. I don't want to keep to keep wasting my parent's money on these pills just so i go back to ground zero as soon as I get off of them. I lost faith in finding a dermatologist that could actually help me - the only one who actually kinda treated me appropriately for my horrendous mix of acne and atopic dermatitis was the one that prescribed me antibiotics. He was the only one that did not make things even worse for me. I'm low on money, patience, and hope.
Is this the point where I stick to a cheap routine that keeps my face from gettingworse,and let it be? I can't stand the thought of looking like this for god knows how much longer, but maybe I could just learn to not think about it. And sure, it'll keep on causing me enormous amounts of social anxiety and further cripple my chances of dating, but it's not like it won't do thatif I care.Never thought I'd fall as low as to say that, but giving up feels like the least damaging option.
I need somebody else's opinion on this: is it worth to keep trying, looking and worrying over my acne? Do I just embrace that i look likecrapand concentrate on trying to not let that fact restrict my confidence anymore? Is there still a point?

MemberMember
(@a-c-p)

Posted : 01/19/2018 3:42 am

Hey, what about accutane? I think that before giving up you should consider taking It, It is very effective and It works like a miracle for many many people. Speak to your derm about It, It might be the solution for your problem. I'm on accutane and It is Working, only one more month for my course to be over and my skin looks SO much better than It used to. It took several months for my skin to look this nice but now that It does I definitely think that It was all worth It.
Good luck

MemberMember
(@blue_boye)

Posted : 01/19/2018 6:12 am

I don't think Accutane is a possible solution for me; I believe the dermatologist prescribed me antibiotics instead because of how terrible my skin is outside of my acne. I know of it's side effects and I think it would only make things worse in my case. It really feels like I'm out of treatment options.

MemberMember
(@plaguevictim)

Posted : 01/19/2018 6:28 pm

12 hours ago, blue_boye said:

I don't think Accutane is a possible solution for me; I believe the dermatologist prescribed me antibiotics instead because of how terrible my skin is outside of my acne. I know of it's side effects and I think it would only make things worse in my case. It really feels like I'm out of treatment options.

I took tetralysal for a month and after no results the derm suggested Accutane. Accutane can be more efficient than antibiotics because it actually treats the cause of the disease. Also, I don't think it is a good idea to take antibiotics ad infinitum...

A.C.P and Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@the-only-one)

Posted : 01/30/2018 2:08 pm

On 1/19/2018 at 7:06 AM, blue_boye said:

I am turning 18 next month and my face is nearly just as bad as it was when I was 13.
After almost 6 years of battling acne, I feel defeated. I've been living the "I have tried everything and nothing ever worked" nightmare since 3 years ago, and even then I managed to find new ways to waste my parent's money, my time, energy and emotional durability, hoping that my face would get just a little cleaner. The results? I am somewhat able to look in the mirror without feeling completely disgusted. And all that's only because I've been on antibiotics for nearly 3 months now. As soon as I get off of them, i'll be back to looking unsightlyin a week or two.Wearing the skin of a 13 year old boy as a 18 year old.
I am not gonna lie, I am about 100% done with this; it appears I am truly a hopeless case. Of all the treatments and skincare routines I've tried over the years the only thing that brought me temporary relief was Tetralysal. I don't want to keep to keep wasting my parent's money on these pills just so i go back to ground zero as soon as I get off of them. I lost faith in finding a dermatologist that could actually help me - the only one who actually kinda treated me appropriately for my horrendous mix of acne and atopic dermatitis was the one that prescribed me antibiotics. He was the only one that did not make things even worse for me. I'm low on money, patience, and hope.
Is this the point where I stick to a cheap routine that keeps my face from gettingworse,and let it be? I can't stand the thought of looking like this for god knows how much longer, but maybe I could just learn to not think about it. And sure, it'll keep on causing me enormous amounts of social anxiety and further cripple my chances of dating, but it's not like it won't do thatif I care.Never thought I'd fall as low as to say that, but giving up feels like the least damaging option.
I need somebody else's opinion on this: is it worth to keep trying, looking and worrying over my acne? Do I just embrace that i look likecrapand concentrate on trying to not let that fact restrict my confidence anymore? Is there still a point?

We are on the same boat but I'm suffering 2 year extra than you.I have literally given all my hopes and don't want to waste my parents money on acctunate which is very costly. And I'm the only one in my siblings suffering from pimples.In fact nor my friends nor my cousins suffer from pimples.I'm also prone to eczema and have back and chest pimples and oily skin.My parents know how i feel but what can they do its natural and even if I go for acctunate it will give a temporary relief.So why to waste money. I sometimes think this is karma for my last life doings. I know it is very hard to live like this way but what can I do ?.It has been years that I talked with my college and school female classmates.Sometimes my relatives question whether I'm their brother of my sis and bro haha.I can understand why they get confuse.
My time has gone now I can't do anything.