Notifications
Clear all

My favourite products/make up routine

MemberMember
(@navy-blue)

Posted : 11/20/2017 7:51 pm

I have a combination dry/oily skin, with intermittent acne and hyperpigmentation from old acne scars, as well as frequently having rough scars that are newly healing and flaky/scaly dry patches around my mouth and sometimes across my forehead. I've used so many products over the years but currently I've found some that seem to really work (note that I live in the UK and all of these products are available on the high street):

• Collection Primed & Ready Mattifying Pore Minimiser with Witch Hazel - I only discovered this one recently as I think it's a new product, but it is amazing. It's a clear solution that glides on and leaves my skin mattified and silky, and provides a great base for my make up.Also I swear it has kept my face from being an oil slick by lunchtime like it usually is - it's still a little shiny if I've been running around all day but otherwise it's matte heaven!It also has a witch hazel formula to help with breakouts. I spread it from the centre of my face outwards using clean hands, especially focusing on the t-zone.
  • L'oreal Nude Magique BB Cream - I used to go in with the heavy cream and liquidconcealers thinking that the thicker the coverage the better, but when I had clearer skin days and felt confident enough I began to tryBB creams and Irealised how comfortable my skin was in comparison. The L'oreal nude magique is specificallynon-comedogenic!It comes out white and has a feather light, almost grainy texture, which when blended merges into your skin tone and doesn't leave a greasy sheen. I feel like it settles nicely into my pores without clogging or sitting on the surface, soinstead of suffocating my face and having an obvious 'caked on' mask itgives alighter coverage and it moisturises at the same time.I started to apply onlya BBcream with a foundation brush just to gently even out my natural complexion, complimented withconcealer only on the areas that need it and it is so, so much better. This brand also comes in a green CC base for redness correction, which is ideal, but I find it comes out slightly tooorange for my complexiononce blended - it's still goodin a pinch though.
  • MaxFactor CC Colour Corrector - this is a green crayon-style base concealer to counteract the redness innew spots and scarsthat I started using after other concealing palettes weren't cutting it. The tray type sets with green, lavender and yellow tones were useless to me as I only ever used the green,and the consistency was always really oily/waxy, so it would just slip off my skin anytime I tried to blend it and left a discoloured patch around the spot. I chose this because I can literally draw straight onto my face with it rather than faffing around with brushes, and it has a drier consistency so it actually stays where it's supposed to and blends in just with some gentle finger dabbing. It's also not a strong green so it doesn't show through my light BB cream(I use this after primer and before coverage).
  • Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer - this is what I use after I've done the rest of my coverage to fully conceal any spots or scars that aren't blended over - by this point I usually only have to dot a tiny, tiny amount directly over the spot or scar with a small concealer brush and just dab it in very gently with the tip of the brush, never directly with thebuilt-in wand which is way too heavy handed. I use the wand to smear a blob of concealer onto the back of my clean hand first and pick it up with the brush from there, so I can control exactly how much goes onto the spot - the less the better as it's so thick, Ican always touch up with more if needed, but starting with too muchwill end up caking.
  • Powder - I usually just use Rimmel London Clear Complexion powder as it's a decent brand but cheap enough to not worry as I go through it quite quickly(I usetranslucent to avoid a cakey look) and dust all over with a kabuki brush, making sure to press in gently to the oily areas. Most powders are usually finefor me as long as they're translucent and non-comedogenic.
  • Collection Primed & Ready Make Up Fixing Spray - once I'vedone the rest of mymake up routine, I doa few spritzesof this all over my face at arm's length to set everything and give me a dewy finish. It gives my skina toned/refreshed feeling and stops my makeup feeling heavy/getting oily or slipping off throughout the day.

I don't touch my face at all during the day so I almost never have to touch up but sometimes I'll bring my concealer and a spare brush in a small cosmetic bag if I have a particularly large/weepy spot that might need readusting. I also always carry a pack or two of blotting papers to control any shininess as and when needed.

And thenI'm all set to go!