Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unluckyguy

highest accutane dosage

Based on a sample of some few posts from a search on accutane dosage, I think I hold the dubious distinction of having one of highest accutane dosage among the current members.

I am on 80 mg per day , (it is scary just to type this) and I weigh 145 pounds.

I am given 40 mg tablets and asked to take it twice a day.

I think at such a high dosage the initial breakout is inevitable, so while I am typing this post, I am sure new cysts are forming under my skin eusa_boohoo.gif

Anyway I had a few questions

1. My current rate of breakout before taking accutane ( this is my day one on tane) is 1 new cyst per week. For the last 3 years it was 1 new cyst every 2 months that would leave pitting .The derms gave me antibiotics instead of accutane case they did not think one per 2 month is that severe , even though they caused pitting and scarring. There was a gap of one year while on minocyclin of not a single cyst for an entire year , it stopped last May with mino losing steam. I started on cephalexin then , which was ineffective . Anway the summary is that my current breakout rate is 1 cyst per week.

2. It was at that stage that my derm agreed for me to use accutane. It is a very high dosage of 80 mg per day and when I asked about risk of init breakout, she said " based on what I see, I do not think you will have a breakout".

3. I of course do not trust the derm and I was wondering if it would be wise to just take 40 mg per day for the first month without telling her

4. Also how would you describe an initial breakout. Are we talking about 3 cysts at a time or more like 10 cysts at a time.

Cas if it is like 3 cysts at a time, I can deal with it, I have had it before once or twice in the past 3 years, but 10 cysts at a time, I will have to think again.

I am not that concerned about small whiteheads or blackheads, just cysts.

I am on my day one now.

Any experiences / suggestions will help me a lot to plan the future accutane regimen better...

Thanks...

Other than my first month which was 40mg, I've been on 80mg my entire course thus far for about 4 months and I only weigh 120lbs.

I would say that it sounds like for an initial dosage that 80mg is too much. I'd say that should be lower in order to avoid an initial breakout (if you'll even get one) just in case.

what a derm recommends differs, becuase none of them think the same, i was on 120mg of accutane a day for 6 months 2years ago and still break out but not like pre-accutane

Ok, so did you then get an init breakout with that regimen ( 40 for first month then 80 for remaining). If so how many cysts at a time would describe on an average as the init breakout

Not trying to scare you at all because not everyone gets one. I however did get an initial breakout within the first week which lasted about a month to a month and a half.

I started off on 80 mgs a day. Still on 80 a day (40 x2/day). I questioned the derm about this and he said this was pretty standard for my weight. I see a lot of people are on a smaller dose than me so either A) I weight a lot. or B) my derm is nuts or C)he's not nuts and I should just trust him. A) I am 5'10 and about 160lbs. And B & C)i'll probably never know. =) Im just trusting this process. I did breakout in week 2-3 and still am here and there and im in week 5-6. smile.gif I think you're fine.

When did you start? I'm starting tommorow!! I think I'm starting at around 60 or 80 aswell so we'll be in it together at the same time eusa_dance.gif

heres to clear skin *raises beer (or soda * eusa_dance.gif )

the standard prescription formula is 1-2 mg per kg of body weight

if you weigh 150 that is approximately 70-80 kg... that would mean 80 mg a day is a 1mg/kg dose...

That is actually low.

Many people with severe cysts are given 2mg/kg per day, or 140 mg total per day

-Eric

Thanks guys.

drummerman, I started yesterday.

Msdominatus, glad to know you are sticking it out. For your init breakout how many cysts came . where they even true cysts of non inflammed whitehead/blackheads. If they are cysts are you still get them occasionally is it like 1-2 or 8-10 ...

Hi.

I have a journal - go check it out. "jess's accutane files" in the personal log forum.

I never had really cystic acne. If I did get a small one it didn't last for weeks like people with actual cystic acne. Its more so inflammatory pimples that I get. Basically what happened is I broke out in the area I usually do - my jawline,chin and neck. This is hormonally triggered each month but causes more breakouts to occur for me for some reason. Anyways, that time of the month was near when I was on about week 2-3 of the 'tane and the breakout was just much worse. They just came and went really quickly. That is clearing up. My skin actually looks a lot better right now. Last night I thought I was nearing another damn breakout but whateer was lurking under my skin went away. My forehead was 100% clear this whole time and then 2 little ones formed and are gone already. You will get tons of blackhead type thingies at first. They aren't like traditional black heads - at least mine weren't. It was more like all my pores were opening up and everything that had been clogged in them for so long was coming to the surface. You'll see what I mean. It sucked at first - I would wash my face and look in the mirror really closely and see all these little brown/black dots in my pores. Well thats gone now and the pores are cleared out for the most part, and now im just waiting for them to shrink. ::Crosses fingers:: I think my skin looks a lot better, but I know I still have a ways to go. Good luck, if you do break out at first just remind yourself that it is all part of the process, and the 'tane is doing it's job!