Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello,

My nickname is Guardedly Optimistic. I have suffered from acne for 6 years, and I am now 25. During the high school years, I had porcelain skin. I did take it for granted.

Upon entering university, I began to breakout. Of course, a slew of personal family health problems didn't help matters and the stress became unbearable and it showed through my skin.

I was first put on 6 months of minocin. It did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Then,after a year or so of topicals which I only could stand for a couple of weeks at a time, I started on Diane 35. I went on it for 1 1/2 years. It cleared me up but also caused horrific crying spells. My hair somewhat fell out, due to the hormones (though nothing noticeable). But after watching a show on the increased deaths/ blood clotting from using Diane, I went off of it. Within 8 months my acne had gone from moderate to moderately-severe. I went on Alesse hoping that it would help but instead caused cystic bacne. So I went off of it, and the bacne cleared on its own. (The say some Progestins mimic testosterone so then can aggravate acne..hmmm) Oh, and I can't forget to mention Proactiv. LOL. Yeah, I guess my problem was too severe cuz it didn't do much more than really dry my face though it worked good at clearing the bacne left over from the alesse. Then after 6 months, the acne was still not going away: so I tried Orthotricycline. One of the worst things I ever did. It caused the erruption of over 30 cysts on my face and a massive skin infection on the left side of my face with interconnected cysts filled with pus. I spent many a minute trying to squeeze the infection out. I would also look at my face, force myself, and say to myself, "Look. You can and will get through this. Look how strong you are." To the outside world I would smile and hide behind my hair. My hair hiding tactics were noticeable to my close friends and I avoided eyecontact. I'd wash my face in the dark and was very sad. Nevertheless, after trying many natural remedies (Including cutting carbs out of my diet since I researched Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome), I couldn't take it anymore. (I'd like to say that I gained a considerable amount of weight in 6 years: over 25 pounds so this may have caused or aggravated the already hormonal wackiness). So, I went back on the Diane 35 and doxycycline for a couple of months in anticipation of a wedding I had to attend. The infection dissipated by the wedding (Thank you Lord) and the breakouts were less frequent, but I knew I couldn't do this longterm So, after much thought (3 years worth) I took the plunge with the support of my angels on this board, and I started accutane. I'm now on my 3rd month and i'm doing ok.

I don't doubt that acne is a result of something just not right inside of the body. And, ideally I would have liked to have cured myself without dr prescribed medicines. And, I do not trust pharmaceuticals nor advocate the use of allopathic medicine for the heck of it. But, in my case (and it is a personal decision), the case was severe and it was robbing me of my life. So I took the plunge knowing full well the potential consequences.

So here I am: These are the only pics i've ever taken of myself without my makeup. I'm sure you can tell from the persistant redness that what lay there before must have not been so nice. It was pretty bad and it takes me many many many months for macules to go. That's ok though cuz they say that the increased bloodvessels that go to sites of injury help with long term healing meaning, hopefully, that the scarring will only get better. And, let me tell you. I had really bad scarring. I take a homeopathic medicine called Thiosinaminum and it does really help the scars dissolve from the inside out.

These pictures were taken today, 3 minutes of each other. First without makeup then with. I should say that i've tried many products for covering up: Clinique, Almay but the ones I like the most are from Revlon. Revlon also doesn't test on animals. Since animal testing is something I loathe, I feel good that I look good and i'm making an informed consumer choice (which is like voting for a company/its products). Anyway: sorry for the aside: Revlon has helped me much. And, I don't breakout from the products. In fact with the makeup, as you can see from these pics, you can't tell i've got anything on my face. Sneaky LOL.

I hope that you see these pictures and that you take a little hope away. We're here to support eachother whether you're 12 or 30. We have now something in common. This will be with us in our hearts forever and hopefully we will all have realized how beautiful we truly are.

Love,

GO.

As you can see I have a cyst that formed on the right upper cheek. It came to this week. And I got a couple of white heads on my forehead. But, i hear this happens anytime throughout the tane course. Nevertheless, i'm good.

If you want to know more about my tane journey, i've posted a one month and two month updated. Just do a search. Nothing too interesting. Just beware of busting a move in the club, inside joke right Arpazia? LOL.

Amazing how similiar my skin is to yours. I will have to post pictures very soon so that you can see. It appears as if you are in the same position that I am: a few zits and a lot of redness. However, you're make-up covers it up better than mine - - what are you using?

WOW

GO, Looking Reeeaallly good chickedy eusa_dance.gif I am SO pleased to hear that you are so happy, you deserve that happiness and you're looking fantastic. Your makeup artwork is FANNNTASTIC TOO!!!

I am pleased to say.. that i am looking quite a bit better too and have red marks JUST LIKE YOURS, predominantly on my cheeks too!! and i am SO greatful that i'm near the end of such a painful and distressing journey.

eusa_clap.gif BIG UP GO.. you're an inspiration!! eusa_clap.gif

Frankie smile.gif

Annnd Arpazia: Are you still off the accutane?? Sounds like you're doing well too.

I am so pleased for everyone.biggrin.gif

Thanks guys. Shout out to Fronk.

I use Revlon. I use the Revlon New Complexion one step compact which is creamy but it dries like a powder. And,if i'm going out to bust a move, I use a revlon light powder on top. I love the two in one cuz I can use it anywhere as a concealer like under my eyes etc. It's great in my opinion. With makeup, you can't tell I have acne. Oh, and when I apply makeup I never ever ever use a sponge. I use my fingers. Sponging causes streaking and wastes makeup. That's the best makeup advice I have. Oh, of course you pat on dry finishing powder with a dry sponge for those dancing nights. LOL. Now if I could stop getting hurt when I bust a move.

Oh, this is not even my best makeup job. I literally put this on in the dark in like 2 mintues. If any of you have any questions, I have developed some techniques over the years. Plus, I took perceptions courses in university so I know how to trick the eye. Though I didn't use those techniques here and I think my skin looks pretty close to perfect with the makeup on. If I may say so myself >LOL smile.gif

Wow GO, you're looking really great! I'm so happy for you!:clap: I should really try the make-up that you're using, it has amazing coverage. In a couple months you're skin is going to be 100% perfect, you won't even need make-up. I agree that you are an inspiration, for someone who was so afraid to take Accutane you've come such a long way. Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks TML :0) It would be nice to go back to never using makeup but I think that on a psychological level, I may not stop using it. I mean, before the acne I used 0% makeup. Now, I know (even in small amounts) it can bring out my nicest features. Moreover, i'm not getting any younger lLOLOLO

And by the way, you're all an inspiration to me and I don't think I could have done it without the help of all you guys.

Hey GO, great pics!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I know others have said this already, but I swear to God that my skin is similar to yours too, with the scarring on the upper cheeks! I also love Revlon, I use their Colorstay line and it remains the best drugstore makeup I've used for acne coverage. Never breaks me out, and stays on all day! Whoohoooo Revlon!

Can you tell me anything more about this Thiosinaminum that you take for scarring? I'm dying to see my skin even out. I used to think I only had red marks (which of course are a pain as is), but when I look at my cheeks they are sort of lumpy, even when there are no pimples...I think I may have more scarring than I think.

Thanks for sharing your pics, you must be sooo happy to have smooth skin now!! It will only get better! I have so much hope for my Accutane experience... here's to us beautiful chickees biggrin.gif

Mae

Thanks guys. I used to post about the homeopathic remedy Thiosinaminum on the Scar Board here on acne.org. It claims to dissolve scars from the inside out. Honestly, I really think it helped. I had tons of scars. I'm talking depressed scars. Not icepick but tons of boxcar scars. I think it definitely helped to heal my skin. I'd take 10 drops under my tongue at night time. Homeopathy works by introducting micro elements so that the body could react and start repairing/healing itself. The red stuff present here in the pics will fade on its own time. These aren't scars, they are an excess of bloodvessels to the injury sites.

just want to say that that was a really good post GO, i just started accutane yesterday so i'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best~

good luck for the rest of ur treatment~ and i'm thinking of trying revlon and thiosinaminum like you suggested ^.<.. is it ok to take it with accutane though?

Thanks for posting your pictures, GO. I think it'll be interesting to see your progress.

Good job on the makeup. I wish I could cover up my acne like that, but I can't really since I'm a guy. wink.gif