Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JamesB

James' Vitimin B5 Journal

Hi All

I thought I would start a journal of my experiences on vitimin B5. I'm starting this a bit late as I have already been on vitimin B5 for about a month but thought i'd start it now and catalogue with this post how the 1st month has gone.

For a bit of background information first:

I am 26

Have had acne since I was 15

Been on countless medications throughout this time

Went on roaccutaine when I was 19 for a 9 month course - this cleared me up and was relatively spot free until 25.

Now my acne has come back and have been battling with it for the past 14 months.

I'm using Evolution X vitimin B5 supplements - 20 capsules a day for 3 months (then maintenance dose afterwards). Using Clearasyl 3-1 in the shower to wash my face every morning.

For the first two weeks of taking vitimin B5 I did notice an improvement in my skin, it appeared to be a lot less oily, I also had the stated side effects of taken Vitimin B5 etc. I was still getting spots during this time.

At the same time as starting the B5 I had just finished a course of tablets called Lymecycline.

From weeks 3-4 my skin has gotten worse again, particularly a lot more oily which is rather worrying. I'm getting groups of new spots and whiteheads forming deep under the skin which never come to a head, take ages to die down and always leave red marks. It feels as if my body has gotten used to taking vitimin B5 and is counteracting whatever good the tablets were doing in the first 2 weeks.

This past weekend my skin has been feeling tight, itchy and slightly painful. It feels as if there's a load of spots forming around the sides of my face and forehead and i have a bad feeling i'll be suffering from a bad breakout in the next few weeks. Hopefully i'm wrong.

So thats the last month up to speed and i'll start where I am now:

Day 26

Today my skin feels very oily and I have about 3 new spots forming under the skin, i'm going to be sticking with the vitimin B5 course though as it does say it can take 3 months to be effective. - I can quite believe this as I had a course of roaccutaine about 5 years ago (for 9 months) and that took 3 months to have any effect at all.

I have recently bought pure intense cleansing gel in an attempt to clean up some of the red marks that have been left from previous acne over the past year, from reading up on these forums I hear its quite effective. Anyone else have any good experiences with this gel?

I also plan on going back onto minocycline in an attempt to stop these breakouts. (got a doctors appointment booked)

did it appear to get any worse in the first week? Its just i had very mild acne about 1-2 weeks ago. probably a max of 4 spots. I then started taking B5 a week ago, and now my face is covered in red lumps - the worst its ever been since i was on roacutane in 2001.

I really am considering coming off B5, the main reason i had it was to have a clear face for around xmas.. and at the rate its going its just making it 100 times worse.

did it appear to get any worse in the first week? Its just i had very mild acne about 1-2 weeks ago. probably a max of 4 spots. I then started taking B5 a week ago, and now my face is covered in red lumps - the worst its ever been since i was on roacutane in 2001.

I really am considering coming off B5, the main reason i had it was to have a clear face for around xmas.. and at the rate its going its just making it 100 times worse.

I'm using Evolution X vitimin B5 supplements - 20 capsules a day for 3 months (then maintenance dose afterwards).

Good choice biggrin.gif

Is this by any chance an Antibiotic?

eusa_naughty.gif I'm telling you now, please do not. It will cause your acne to recur. Antibiotics are the worst thing to prescribe for acne. Please listen to me.

hello to answer ur question no accutane is definatly not an antibiotic!!! and yes antibiotics do cause your skin to get worse I was on them for years and I think it is the cause of my bad outbreak anyways I am on b-5 right now and I would say it makes me about 90% more clear if I take them all of the time lol I usually skip a few days and stuff and I don't take very much to begin with about 4 pills a day after my 2 weeks of taking 8-6 pills a day but still that little about goes pretty far! anywhoo good luck with u! I too have a big 1 on my chin right now eusa_wall.gif but it is going away I hope lol, oh and also my skin gets itchy on the sides! that is what I hate about b-5 then I scratch and I have a little red patch on the side of my face :S

Day 28

Nothing much new really, developed a small spot right on the bridge of my nose which is annoying, it'll probably take about a week to die down.

It's annoying how long it takes for spots to die down nowadays, is that due to the B5 possibly?

RE antibiotics, thanks for the info nofx gurl, however they must have some benefit otherwise doctors wouldn't perscribe them.

day 30

1 red lump on the side of my face looks like it might be re-appearing, other than that no other new spots.

Have noticed an increase in side effects today, stomach feeling a bit fragile.

Day 31

Been a bit slack today and have only had 5 of the usual 20 tablets, hopefully it won't have too much of a negative effect.

No major changes to the state of my skin today,

am trying pure deeming intense gel this evening though, its meant to be good for red marks.

Day 32

No major changes,

have 1 red lump on the side of my face and 1 small spot at the moment

face is feeling quite itchy though.

with regards to that intense gel for red marks, no noticeable effects after one dose of it, I plan on doing it 3 times a week

September 30- present

Hi there. my name is Shannon and I just finished reading your journal of your progress so far. I have been on b-5 since september 30, and I can tell you from experience that it has done wonders for my skin and for my health in general. I can tell you taht I was on antibiotics this summer and yes, while you're on them you're clear, but as soon as i came off, my skin went crazy and i had the worst acne on my chin i had ever seen in my life!! I am telling you, try not to get on teh antibiotics if u dont have to. The reason the doctos put u on that is because it makes money for the pharmaseutical companies. The doctors give you antibiotics because it is a quick fix, but if your body becomes immune to the antibiotic, then you are in lots of trouble, because then you wont have anything to fall back on. Antibiotics should be used as a LAST resort and i mean LAST. They kill the bad bacteria, yes, but they also kill the GOOD bacteria. This is so bad for your bowel system and when you come off of them there is no good bacteria left to watch out for your intestinal flora and health! Trust me, because as soon as i came off tetracycline, my face went crazy. Since being on the b5, i can tell you that nothing has worked better, and I know it is helping my body so much. It has really regulated my hormones...i wont go into detail, but take it from me. I have red spots on my chin from whre the acne was so bad, but they are fading every day. If I was you, I would also take a probiotic such as yogurt or primal defense...this puts the good bacteria in your body which also helps to combat acne and teh bad bacteria that comes up on your face. Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps! Trust me, GIVE THE B5 time!! It has to push all the bad stuff thats been deep down in your pores to teh sruface of your skin before it gets completely better. Works exactly like accutane supposedly, but is NATURAL and something your body needs. People with acne often have a deficiency of B5. I'm on Evolution-X too. Stick with it! Good luck! eusa_dance.gif

James

I'm glad you've decided to post a thread here. I think you might be experiencing a few more ups and down for the next week or so, before beginning a constant improvement. I noticed that at about 1.5 months my skin kept continuing to improve. You are almost there, buddy, so just keep up the good work.

Dave

thanks for the replies and encouragement guys its most appreciated. Its good to hear about people who have had noticeable success with using B5.

I am gonna stick off of the antibiotics I think, I have quite high confidence in B5 and hoping that will do the trick on its own.

Day 33

No change in the red marks on my face. One new very small spot formed over night. For the past week, i've only noticed small spots forming which is a good thing, hopefully that's because of the B5. My skin feels quite dry today, which is a marked contrast to say a week ago, I don't know whether to expect my skin changing from dry to oily quite often during this regimen.....

Going to try another hour with that intense cleansing gel again tonight.

Good luck the first month and a half or more like one month and 3 1/2 weeks were horrible for me. Right around the end of the second month my skin was looking amazing. Its only the marks that are bothering me but im using lactic peels at 55% and its helping alot.

yeah i'm hoping to turn the corner within the next week or so, am hoping its already started. So you recommend lactic peels then? I might give them a try.

Day 34

A couple of small spots formed, but they'll die down quite quickly. Think i'm developing a bigger under the skin spot on the side of my face where I get quite a bit of trouble..

Day 35

1 medium sized spot below the corner of my mouth has formed as well as a red mark next to my nose today. But on a plus side my skin is feeling quite dry.

Days 36, 37

Over the past 2 days, that under the skin spot on the side of my face has become more pronounced, just a big red lump now. Also got a smaller red lump on my right cheek.

So it appears my skin has gotten a bit worse over the past few days.

Today I was a bit slack and only took 10 of the 20 pills - hoping that won't make too much difference.

If you don't manage to take the 5 pills at the right time, is it o.k. to take 10/15 in one go?

Well I don't quite know what to think about that link.

you hear conflicting advice on just about everything.

I'm going to a dermatologist next friday and will speak to him/her about it.

Day 38

One large red lump on the side of my face and one medium and one small on my right cheek.

I guess it'll need to be a bit longer or so before these dam cysts stop forming.

I haven't had a breakout now though for about 2 weeks which is good, just individual spots.

I'm continuing to use this intense gel stuff, not entirely convinced its making much of a difference, - doing it 3 times a week 45mins - 1 hour each time.

Days 39-45

Sorry for not posting recently as have been away.

Right well, during the past week my skin has been getting worse, i've been developing new under the skin spots every day and have a nasty one on the side of my face (which will leave a nasty red mark), a number of small red lumps at the front, and 2 normal type spots around my mouth. My skin has been feeling very uncomfortable and itchy for the past 3 days as well as very greasy, and it feels as if the B5 isn't having much of an effect at all. I have another nasty dark red mark on the side of my face of a spot that i've had for probably best part of a month which i expect will take a year to fade :-(

However, I know it takes a while for B5 to become effective so am of-course determined to see atleast the full 3 months out. I'm now at the half way stage of this course of treatment so I hope and expect to see some noticeable improvements during the second half.

I had an appointment with a dermatologist yesterday and sounded him out about B5, the good news is he thinks or is unaware of any side effects associated with taking high amounts of B5. He knows there's been no research in the benefits of B5 but states (as i already know) that no reserach would be done as it's a vitimin and drug companies wouldn't be able to make any money out of it, hence won't do the research. - There's something wrong with the system there I think, don't you?!?

He is also happy to perscribe me with roaccutaine if I want it, which is nice to know. So I have decided to stick the course with the B5 for a good 4 months or so, if i'm still having trouble i'm going to ask for roaccutaine, as I know that works and have been on it before.

To help with red marks, i've been perscribed a cream called Skinoren which contains Azelaic acid.

Has anybody had experience with this one?

Anyway, I think that's about it,

Merry Christmas everyone!

Day 46-49

Have suffered from a mini breakout of 5 or so small under-the-skin spots on the front of my face which have now left red marks which I know will take 6 months or so to fade. This is very annoying I was hoping that the B5 would have stopped this by now. I'm hoping that this is hopefully the last breakout i'll be experiencing.

Have started using this skinoren cream, the jury is still out as to whether or not its effective at reducing red marks.