Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone last resort

MemberMember
(@chippercity)

Posted : 07/27/2017 4:30 pm

Hi everyone, I apologize in advance for how lengthy this post is going to be, but I'm pretty desperate for answers.

All throughout middle school and most of high school, my skin was crystal clear without even trying. toward the beginning of my senior year in high school, I started getting more and more breakouts. After thinking long and hard about my battle with acne, I remember that I began taking birth control at the age of 16, per the request of my mother, but I stopped taking it eventually for no reason other than I just didn't have a purpose for it. It was around this time that my acne began but unfortunately I can't remember for the life of me whether the acne began while I was taking the birth control or if it began after I stopped taking it. I also can't remember what birth control I was even on.

Eventually my skin got so bad, I made my mom take me to see a dermatologist. I'm now 21, almost 22 and I've tried EVERYTHING for my skin. Every topical cream/gel (veltin, tazorac, aczone, differin) and every antibiotic (doxycycline & minocycline both did absolutely nothing for me). I've tried benzoyl peroxide wash, clindamycin pads and lotion, you name it I've probably tried it. I eventually got back onto a birth control (Apri) but I didn't notice any difference in my skin. Finally, in February of 2016, I decided to start accutane despite all of the horror stories I had read. I took 40 mg the first month, then 60 mg for the next 6 months after that. My experience with accutane was a breeze with the exception of dry skin (which I didn't mind considering how oily I was before). However, I responded very slowly to the treatment and my skin didn't start clearing until the last month and it only remained clear for about two months after my treatment ended, and then all the oil came back and I began breaking out again.
This was the point where I began researching and thinking that maybe my acne was triggered by a sensitivity to androgens. I never thought that my acne was hormonal because I rarely get cystic acne and they're almost never located on my chin or jawline. My breakouts are more on my cheeks and forehead and I've never noticed a correlation between my acne and my menstrual cycle... the breakouts are usually pretty consistent. I went back to my dermatologist last week and she prescribed me 25 mg of spironolactone (to make sure my body reacts okay to it). I'm really optimistic about spiro but I think that's just because I've tried everything and I'm desperate for something to work. I guess I'm just wondering if there's anyone who has a similar story to mine and whether or not they've had success with spironolactone?
MemberMember
(@uptowndollar)

Posted : 07/27/2017 10:39 pm

Hi there!

I have very similar acne to yours! I broke out on my right cheek horribly back in Oct 2016. I had struggled with severe acne back in high school when I was about 15 but that was normal and it calmed down in about a year.

I figured that the Oct. 2016 breakout was due to being in an academy program, being away from home and my normal laundry detergents, and the stress of having a new job on top of grad school. However, when I got back my face got worse. I eventually developed a cyst that kept coming back under my right eye on my cheek bone. Enough was enough and I went to see a dermatologist for the 1st time ever.

When I got there he took one look and said "hormones" and prescribed me spiro 25mg 2x a day. This was in Dec early Jan. I started and all was well until about week 3. My skin purged! I literally broke out on both cheeks, nose, and my chin. However, this is very common as the derm told me. I have been on it for about 8 months and I truly think it has helped me. I could show you before and after photos if you'd like!

I think you will enjoy this med because it does regulate androgen production which was the cause of my acne.

good luck!
-Meg

MemberMember
(@chippercity)

Posted : 07/28/2017 7:46 pm

Thank you for the reply, I really do appreciate it! Most of the people in my day to day life can't really relate to me in regards to struggles with my skin so this site has become so resourceful for me. I'm glad to hear that you're having good results with spironolactone so far and I'm going to remain optimistic about it. So far I've only been on it for 8 days and haven't noticed my skin worsening or improving but I fully prepared myself for an initial breakout. I also think that the 25 mg that I'm on right now isn't a high enough dose for me to even notice a change, but I understand that my dermatologist wants to be cautious and increase my dosage slowly.

Best of luck to you you as well!

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 08/01/2017 4:40 pm

Hey I've been on spiro for around two months now. Most people say you shouldn't see results until around six months but it worked really quickly for me. Unfortunately, I am currently breaking out because of my period, but I was clear pretty all of last month. Which is a miracle, because I'm used to having lots of active cysts at once. I never thought mine was hormonal because my acne was so consistent, but it turns out spiro has worked well for me. Better than anything else I've ever tried, and I've tried so many things. All you can do is give it a try and be patient because though it's working for me, I have a feeling I'm not even seeing my full results yet. (Hopefully it continues to get better the longer I take it. Fingers crossed.).

Good luck.

Btw within the first week of taking it, I was only on 50mg a day. That's when I started tonoticeresults.

MemberMember
(@chippercity)

Posted : 08/02/2017 11:02 am

Thanks for the reply! I'm definitely going to be patient and stick with it because I'm hopeful it'll work for me. I had a terrible breakout last week (not sure if it was related to spiro or not) but luckily it cleared up within a couple of days. Did you notice a decrease in oil production on 50 mg? I go back to my dermatologist in 2 weeks and I'm sure she will increase my dosage to 50 mg since I haven't experienced any side effects, but I'm really hoping I'll see at least a little bit of oil reduction!