Notifications
Clear all

Does anyone else struggle to make eye contact because of your acne?

MemberMember
(@adonas)

Posted : 07/09/2017 2:20 pm

Ever since I've had acne for about 2 years now I've always found it extremely difficult to make eye contact with anyone besides my family and random people I don't know. Thankfully, I've never really had anyone say anything mean about my acne but I have had quite a few friends question why I never look at them which is usually quite embarrassing because I never know what to say. I know logically, that just because I don't make eye contact doesn't mean they can't see my acne and yet I can't bring myself to do it. Just wondering If anyone else has the same problem because I rarely ever see anyone talk about it. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@user609833)

Posted : 07/09/2017 2:53 pm

I don't have acne anymore but I have some minor scars and just overall my skin doesn't look great anymore to me. Yes I avoid people a lot more now. I think I also avoid eye contact when I can, but it makes me feel like I'm coming across as rude, haha. "It's not you, it's my face!"

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 07/09/2017 3:25 pm

Yeah, i also don't like making eye contact really, its just become a habit now actually. But if you ever see someone staring at your face(which a lot of stupid people do), stare right back until they look away, thats what i do and it feels very good to do that lol.

Ae1976 liked
MemberMember
(@ae1976)

Posted : 07/10/2017 12:54 am

For me it's more the people talking to me who have a problem making eye contact. They look everywhere but into my eyes. Last year my cousin's wife, spent an hour staring at my hairline while talking to me. I now just try to ignore and try not to meet these people too often.

MemberMember
(@skyesthelimit)

Posted : 07/19/2017 3:51 am

You have nothing to be ashamed of. People who cannot look into another person's eyes mean they are guilty of something. You look people in the eye because you want to see their souls or how genuine their words are. Sadly, some people have mastered this skill even if they are lying.

Anyway, going back to the topic, if your friends ask, simply tell them that you're shy (because you have acne) and if they are really your friends, they will understand if that's your decision or better yet, will encourage you not to do so as they will not judge you for it. It's not like they never knew you have acne right? I think it's just more of so the focus of the conversation would be on the topic itself and not your acne.

MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 07/19/2017 6:25 am

2 hours ago, skyesthelimit said:

People who cannot look into another person's eyes mean they are guilty of something.

I'm sorry but this is just nonsense. I sincerely hope you've never been in a position to asses another person's guilt, such as being on a jury.

There are lots of reasons that people cannot (or will not) look into someone else's eyes - ranging from shyness, general anxiety, fear, autism, tiredness, cultural convention, rudeness, politeness, etc.

To the OP, I experienced this problem as well. I spent a few months forcing myself to make eye contact in all situations and after a while it became second nature to me. I don't think there's anything else you can do.

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 07/20/2017 3:18 pm

I have absolutely felt like this. Not all the time, but on certain bad days. I know why too. I feel ashamed. I feel ashamed that my skin looks so disgusting and ugly. I don't look people in the eye because I can't face that they might be looking at me and judging me. I also know that this is complete nonsense, and that most people will never judge me because of my skin, not the people that matter anyway. But I still feel like that sometimes. I think the most important thing is to talk about it. Tell your friends how you feel and you'll probably find that your acne doesn't bother them at all.

MemberMember
(@smashingfeel)

Posted : 08/03/2017 12:12 am

On 7/20/2017 at 0:18 PM, Jollyhohnson said:

I have absolutely felt like this. Not all the time, but on certain bad days. I know why too. I feel ashamed. I feel ashamed that my skin looks so disgusting and ugly. I don't look people in the eye because I can't face that they might be looking at me and judging me. I also know that this is complete nonsense, and that most people will never judge me because of my skin, not the people that matter anyway. But I still feel like that sometimes. I think the most important thing is to talk about it. Tell your friends how you feel and you'll probably find that your acne doesn't bother them at all.

I never think myself ugly...coz my ugly already(Anyway)Well many people don't really care about someone's acne prob most people think it's normal it's just that most of us(with acne and acne scars) think of ourself not normal and shy because of our prob....I won't say I'm not bother with my acne and acne scars...it's just that some people don't really care(like my friends and classmates)....but honestly.....when it's a guy I can look at them in the eye only girl is the prob...I lost myself confidence when it comes to them(what a weird creature females are!)