Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

12 hours ago, Feelishia said:

6 years of acne in general or just the hyperpigmentation? That would be a loooong time for HP lol

well..in the beginning it was both acne and hyperpigmentation, but I didn't care much that time cuz I was in high school..and everyone had those issues more or less..but my acne was never severe just persistent, until last year when things got really severe.. though it got back to as it was before,,it left me lots of intended scars (even among all this,,the hyperpigmentation was always there lol). and then I took isotretinoin.

4 hours ago, eternalrocket said:
5 hours ago, Feelishia said:

6 years of acne in general or just the hyperpigmentation? That would be a loooong time for HP lol

well..in the beginning it was both acne and hyperpigmentation, but I didn't care much that time cuz I was in high school..and everyone had those issues more or less..but my acne was never severe just persistent, until last year when things got really severe.. though it got back to as it was before,,it left me lots of intended scars (even among all this,,the hyperpigmentation was always there lol). and then I took isotretinoin.
Yeah, I didn't have severe acne, as in cystic, but it was persistent and basically I got a new spot every day. My entire forehead was covered, my chin got big, red, angry ones, and same with my cheeks. And then just misc pimples in any spot. By the time I started isotretinoin, I had been clear for a month from other treatments. Wish I just stuck with that, but I was still getting angry breakouts so my derm said I wouldn't get any clearer than that with what I was using. So she said isotretinoin was the next step. I didn't know any better, I asked her questions and did my own research but nothing prepared me for this!

Did you have cystic acne last year? That would make sense if you got left with scars if you had cysts. Once your active acne stops though the hyper pigmentation will just need time to fade. It really does take awhile at times though!

22 hours ago, Feelishia said:
Yeah, I didn't have severe acne, as in cystic, but it was persistent and basically I got a new spot every day. My entire forehead was covered, my chin got big, red, angry ones, and same with my cheeks. And then just misc pimples in any spot. By the time I started isotretinoin, I had been clear for a month from other treatments. Wish I just stuck with that, but I was still getting angry breakouts so my derm said I wouldn't get any clearer than that with what I was using. So she said isotretinoin was the next step. I didn't know any better, I asked her questions and did my own research but nothing prepared me for this!

Did you have cystic acne last year? That would make sense if you got left with scars if you had cysts. Once your active acne stops though the hyper pigmentation will just need time to fade. It really does take awhile at times though!
yeah it was HORRIBLE cystic last year just came out of nowhere..but was gone in 2months,,thanks to calamine lotion and other topicals. in terms acne,i was 100% clear 1 month before starting Accutane as I was on topicals, but my derm said that for the scars to be treated she needs to make sure that I don't get any acne and so she put me on this. and PIH, well, I guess my skin just heals very poorly so until any older pih fades,there is already something new. funny thing my skin only gets bad when I am in the city that I am currently in..when I go home, my pih is gone in like 4-5 days,lol.

7 hours ago, eternalrocket said:
17 hours ago, Feelishia said:

yeah it was HORRIBLE cystic last year just came out of nowhere..but was gone in 2months,,thanks to calamine lotion and other topicals. in terms acne,i was 100% clear 1 month before starting Accutane as I was on topicals, but my derm said that for the scars to be treated she needs to make sure that I don't get any acne and so she put me on this. and PIH, well, I guess my skin just heals very poorly so until any older pih fades,there is already something new. funny thing my skin only gets bad when I am in the city that I am currently in..when I go home, my pih is gone in like 4-5 days,lol.
Wow that's surprising you cleared up such serious acne so quickly! Yeah, before I ever got acne I obviously had pimples from time to time, and I was an awful picker, but nothing ever left scars and if I got hyperpigmentation it faded very quickly. Right when I got acne, my PIH would be briiight red and last for ages. And now I have scars all over! I get that. My PIH kept adding up too, lol. My whole cheeks and chin had polka dots. However, for some reason my forehead never got any. That's interesting that yours is covered. Maybe since the skin is thinner on the forehead as opposed to the cheeks, it fades quicker as the new skin comes in.

Is it a polluted city or something? That's really interesting. Yeah, different climates can affect people's skin. As for your scars, don't forget to wait enough time before you start treating them, however you plan to do that. They say 6 months is enough, but I feel like it isn't. 

Edit: Oh nooooo! I just looked in the mirror this morning and there's now a RED pimple above my lip :(  Edited by Feelishia

1 hour ago, Feelishia said:
Wow that's surprising you cleared up such serious acne so quickly! Yeah, before I ever got acne I obviously had pimples from time to time, and I was an awful picker, but nothing ever left scars and if I got hyperpigmentation it faded very quickly. Right when I got acne, my PIH would be briiight red and last for ages. And now I have scars all over! I get that. My PIH kept adding up too, lol. My whole cheeks and chin had polka dots. However, for some reason my forehead never got any. That's interesting that yours is covered. Maybe since the skin is thinner on the forehead as opposed to the cheeks, it fades quicker as the new skin comes in.

Is it a polluted city or something? That's really interesting. Yeah, different climates can affect people's skin. As for your scars, don't forget to wait enough time before you start treating them, however you plan to do that. They say 6 months is enough, but I feel like it isn't. 

Edit: Oh nooooo! I just looked in the mirror this morning and there's now a RED pimple above my lip :( 
everyones skin is different, like I don't get a single pimple or a dark spot on my temples, chin and the jawline area, NEVER!. and pih on my cheeks also fades quicker than my forehead. and about the city,,well idk what it is but I hate it lol. for the scars, my derm told me to visit her after 3 months and then shell tell me when exactly ill get my scars treated and what will be the procedure. oh, and today I woke up with a few bumps on my forehead pretty much similar to yours, so well, idk lets just hope that its a temporary thing and things overall gets better for both of us.

Well another update:

I'm breaking out everywhere and my forehead is still completely covered in pimples. Like, my acne is returning to as bad as it was last year. Treatments take so long to go into effect and I still don't have an appointment until August 7th to get prescribed something! This is gonna be so difficult going to classes :/ 

31 minutes ago, Feelishia said:

Well another update:

I'm breaking out everywhere and my forehead is still completely covered in pimples. Like, my acne is returning to as bad as it was last year. Treatments take so long to go into effect and I still don't have an appointment until August 7th to get prescribed something! This is gonna be so difficult going to classes :/ 

That's bad.. I guess your derm should have prescribed you a topical retinoid to keep things under control. ill also be going home on 5th so will probably see my derm next day because I have some itching issues going on after I quit Accutane.

27 minutes ago, eternalrocket said:
1 hour ago, Feelishia said:

Well another update:

That's bad.. I guess your derm should have prescribed you a topical retinoid to keep things under control. ill also be going home on 5th so will probably see my derm next day because I have some itching issues going on after I quit Accutane.
I'm not interested in any retinoids. Seen too many horror stories, and my acne is nowhere near severe to even risk that. The derm wouldn't have known either, I was clear my entire course. I didn't do well with an antibiotic I was on last year (fever/hot flashes, nausea, gastro issues, etc.), but my derm keeps saying she doesn't think my acne is hormonal. I'm thinking something topical will be tried (I was on finacea foam before for a long time, never helped). Spironolactone did eventually lessen my acne, but that's a hormonal medication. So just not sure what will be decided on to try. Edited by Feelishia

11 minutes ago, Feelishia said:
I'm not interested in any retinoids. Seen too many horror stories, and my acne is nowhere near severe to even risk that. The derm wouldn't have known either, I was clear my entire course. I didn't do well with an antibiotic I was on last year (fever/hot flashes, nausea, gastro issues, etc.), but my derm keeps saying she doesn't think my acne is hormonal. I'm thinking something topical will be tried (I was on finacea foam before for a long time, never helped). Spironolactone did eventually lessen my acne, but that's a hormonal medication. So just not sure what will be decided on to try.
honestly, idk why there are such horror stories on retinoids, I mean even when I used it for the very first time 3 years back or something, I didn't get any irritation whatsoever and its not that my skin is not sensitive. anyway, your derm knows the best, all you can do right now is hope that its not the acne coming back

7 minutes ago, eternalrocket said:
22 minutes ago, Feelishia said:
I'm not interested in any retinoids. Seen too many horror stories, and my acne is nowhere near severe to even risk that. The derm wouldn't have known either, I was clear my entire course. I didn't do well with an antibiotic I was on last year (fever/hot flashes, nausea, gastro issues, etc.), but my derm keeps saying she doesn't think my acne is hormonal. I'm thinking something topical will be tried (I was on finacea foam before for a long time, never helped). Spironolactone did eventually lessen my acne, but that's a hormonal medication. So just not sure what will be decided on to try.
honestly, idk why there are such horror stories on retinoids, I mean even when I used it for the very first time 3 years back or something, I didn't get any irritation whatsoever and its not that my skin is not sensitive. anyway, your derm knows the best, all you can do right now is hope that its not the acne coming back
My skin is kinda sensitive, and considering how I feel my skin got damaged from Accutane, it's just not something I'd consider if offered.

I mean, I definitely have acne coming back. I've got pimples all over lol and my makeup problem is returning. Nothing I can do :| Edited by Feelishia

2 minutes ago, Feelishia said:
My skin is kinda sensitive, and considering how I feel my skin got damaged from Accutane, it's just not something I'd consider if offered.

I mean, I definitely have acne coming back. I've got pimples all over lol and my makeup problem is returning. Nothing I can do :|
yeah,,it just feel like a never ending thing though you are still comparatively new to all this.

3 minutes ago, eternalrocket said:
6 minutes ago, Feelishia said:

I mean, I definitely have acne coming back. I've got pimples all over lol and my makeup problem is returning. Nothing I can do :|
yeah,,it just feel like a never ending thing though you are still comparatively new to all this.
Yep. I'd trade having acne as a teen and clear skin as an adult though. I think a large amount of teens do get acne, but it clears up as they get older. I don't see many people my age with acne anymore. There's nothing negative that comes out of suffering with bad skin and then finally getting good skin. There's a lot of bad that comes with growing up with good skin and forming your identity around it, and then getting bad skin. So yeah, I'd never compare my experience to anyone's, and I know many people have it so much worse, but I'm sure we can all agree that acne really hurts people.

1 minute ago, eternalrocket said:

yep it hurts,,and if you have it for long enough like me,,it actually completely changes you as a person too.

I agree. If I woke up by some miracle with my pre-2016 skin, I'd do a complete 180 and be myself again. I think I'm dealing with this all better than last year, but still this is not something I want to continue to battle. And to have suffered through Accutane for nothing will be a shame. I used to be very social and adventurous, but I just can't anymore.

3 minutes ago, Feelishia said:
5 minutes ago, eternalrocket said:

yep it hurts,,and if you have it for long enough like me,,it actually completely changes you as a person too.

I agree. If I woke up by some miracle with my pre-2016 skin, I'd do a complete 180 and be myself again. I think I'm dealing with this all better than last year, but still this is not something I want to continue to battle. And to have suffered through Accutane for nothing will be a shame. I used to be very social and adventurous, but I just can't anymore.
yeap everyone now thinks that I am very rude and don't socialize because I don't like them :(

2 minutes ago, eternalrocket said:
yeap everyone now thinks that I am very rude and don't socialize because I don't like them :(
People still socialize with me frequently, however, last year when I had the active acne, I was able to stay home when I wanted most of the time. When I got back into classes, my acne started improving and then stayed clear on Accutane. Now, I'm back with acne and can't stay home. I know nobody will react poorly to me, but I wish there was a way I could let the entire world know I just wanna be alone :smileys_n_people_24:

Right now I'm thinking since Spironolactone did help me and I can't recall any side effects, I'll see if my primary care physician can get me on a lower dose of that before I see my derm, since it does take long to kick in and my appointment is still far out. 

2 minutes ago, Feelishia said:
People still socialize with me frequently, however, last year when I had the active acne, I was able to stay home when I wanted most of the time. When I got back into classes, my acne started improving and then stayed clear on Accutane. Now, I'm back with acne and can't stay home. I know nobody will react poorly to me, but I wish there was a way I could let the entire world know I just wanna be alone :smileys_n_people_24:

Right now I'm thinking since Spironolactone did help me and I can't recall any side effects, I'll see if my primary care physician can get me on a lower dose of that before I see my derm, since it does take long to kick in and my appointment is still far out. 
why don't you try taking some zinc supplements or something?, I myself have been thinking to take that, just today I saw a bottle of" vit c and zinc supplement". I hope its ok to take those.

6 minutes ago, eternalrocket said:
9 minutes ago, Feelishia said:

why don't you try taking some zinc supplements or something?, I myself have been thinking to take that, just today I saw a bottle of" vit c and zinc supplement". I hope its ok to take those.
Hmm I'm looking into it, but I'm really just not sure what's safe to do with Accutane in my system still. 

I still don't even know why I ever got acne last year in the first place! If it's not hormonal like my dermatologist says/thinks, what would even cause acne out of nowhere when there had been absolutely no changes in my life or routine or anything? 

1 minute ago, Feelishia said:
Hmm I'm looking into it, but I'm really just not sure what's safe to do with Accutane in my system still. 

I still don't even know why I ever got acne last year in the first place! If it's not hormonal like my dermatologist says/thinks, what would even cause acne out of nowhere when there had been absolutely no changes in my life or routine or anything? 
if you find something about supplements,,do let me know, and acne well, I guess, it was just meant to happen? idk.

35 minutes ago, eternalrocket said:
41 minutes ago, Feelishia said:

if you find something about supplements,,do let me know, and acne well, I guess, it was just meant to happen? idk.
Yeah I'm not sure. It seems like zinc would be fine with Accutane still in your system, but I really just don't know.

59 minutes ago, Feelishia said:

Yet another update because yet another line showed up.

and my forehead getting progressively worse, we both need to see our derms asap. lol.

1 hour ago, eternalrocket said:
2 hours ago, Feelishia said:

Yet another update because yet another line showed up.

and my forehead getting progressively worse, we both need to see our derms asap. lol.
Yikes :/ Trying! 

Hi guys. Havent read last 20 posts, but I'm experiencing something very similar. Had number of low dose courses of Accutane (10, max 20mg, 4 months). Last time 6 months ago I got one big scar from very small pimple while on accutne but my skin got 100% clear then so I was fine. After 1 moth of 20mg and 3 months on 10mg is stopped, as it was perfect for 3 months already.

2 months later acne returned slowly but they healed without scars, I started accutane 20mg, and my skin was 100% clear in 2 weeks. Then, a week later I got two small pimples on my cheek that left huge scar (the same size of my biggest scar that I got from one big cystic acne that lasted for a month that I had 3 years ago). I got very sad, but managed to get through, my acne went to 0 again after this. This was 4-5 weeks after starting accutane.

But then I got rather big pain on that scar spot, but without any acne. Soon very small pimples (visible only at 10cm distance) started to appear at that spot one per week, they healed in a day but each left deep scar. So I have a lot of connected scars now at that spot. I the meantime I increased accutane to 30-40mg but the very very small pimples continued one-two per week, but each leaves big scar (like my face is having an athropy). Moreover each small pimple got me very big pain, my doc (GP) sent me to check my facial nerve, as she doesnt believe me this is skin issue. I went to her couple of times saying about scaring and pain and she thinks I'm imagining, as I also have some old scarring. As my skin is very dry I put moisturizer but it broke me in small pimples (bearly noticed even to myself) each leaving big scar. Now I'm devastated , went to my doc (GP) but she doesnt see what is the issue as I dont have visible pimples (I went to public derm in the meantime they said the same - no visible issue). She will send me to psychiatrist on Monday (I agree on that as I cannot go to work) and gave me sleeping pills. Edited by rapharapha

4 hours ago, rapharapha said:
Hi guys. Havent read last 20 posts, but I'm experiencing something very similar. Had number of low dose courses of Accutane (10, max 20mg, 4 months). Last time 6 months ago I got one big scar from very small pimple while on accutne but my skin got 100% clear then so I was fine. After 1 moth of 20mg and 3 months on 10mg is stopped, as it was perfect for 3 months already.

2 months later acne returned slowly but they healed without scars, I started accutane 20mg, and my skin was 100% clear in 2 weeks. Then, a week later I got two small pimples on my cheek that left huge scar (the same size of my biggest scar that I got from one big cystic acne that lasted for a month that I had 3 years ago). I got very sad, but managed to get through, my acne went to 0 again after this. This was 4-5 weeks after starting accutane.

But then I got rather big pain on that scar spot, but without any acne. Soon very small pimples (visible only at 10cm distance) started to appear at that spot one per week, they healed in a day but each left deep scar. So I have a lot of connected scars now at that spot. I the meantime I increased accutane to 30-40mg but the very very small pimples continued one-two per week, but each leaves big scar (like my face is having an athropy). Moreover each small pimple got me very big pain, my doc (GP) sent me to check my facial nerve, as she doesnt believe me this is skin issue. I went to her couple of times saying about scaring and pain and she thinks I'm imagining, as I also have some old scarring. As my skin is very dry I put moisturizer but it broke me in small pimples (bearly noticed even to myself) each leaving big scar. Now I'm devastated , went to my doc (GP) but she doesnt see what is the issue as I dont have visible pimples (I went to public derm in the meantime they said the same - no visible issue). She will send me to psychiatrist on Monday (I agree on that as I cannot go to work) and gave me sleeping pills.
That is extremely strange and devastating, I'm so sorry for you. That's nowhere near what's happening to me. It really does sound like something more serious is going on. I wish you the best. Any chance you could post pictures?