Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
presrox

how can you people take accutane?

i've never tried it & i don't ever want to. it destroys your internal system. it does all sorts of nasty things & since its relatively new they might find out in a decade or so long term effects. thats the thing about a new treatment: in the long run it could do really bad damage. accutane is way too strong for our bodies it just doesn't seem right. but i guess if you have no other choice?

I used it about ten years ago and it worked great at that time. Only problem was when i stopped the acne came back. And they have found problems with it. It is one of those drugs that are on the list of possibly being recalled as it may have been approved incorrectly or for the wrong reasons, like Vioxx.

My understanding of the recent Accutane scrutiny is that it's about the severe birth defects it can cause if women take it while pregnant, unlike Vioxx, which can potentially harm the person who takes it. Apparently not all derms are making birth control absolutely necessary, or patient compliance is an issue.

Aren't you the person I have been talking to about enemas? Accutane is a potentially dangerous drug, but its dangers are pretty well known.I can't do the tane because of those risks, but I figure acne is a serious enough condition that if a person along with their doctor wants to assume those risks and BE MONITORED during treatment, then it should remain an option. I think its a decision best made by patients and responsible medical practioners.In 23 years, no company has developed a drug that can do exactly what Accutane does with fewer risks.What scares me is the folks who want to do the tane,but not follow the guidelines and docs who aren't doing the required screening and tests.

Aren't you the person I have been talking to about enemas? Accutane is a potentially dangerous drug, but its dangers are pretty well known.I can't do the tane because of those risks, but I figure acne is a serious enough condition that if a person along with their doctor wants to assume those risks and BE MONITORED during treatment, then it should remain an option. I think its a decision best made by patients and responsible medical practioners.In 23 years, no company has developed a drug that can do exactly what Accutane does with fewer risks.What scares me is the folks who want to do the tane,but not follow the guidelines and docs who aren't doing the required screening and tests.

I took accutane as a teen for moderate acne ten years ago. While I was on it, my skin actually got worse, which they said was the last bit of acne getting out of my pores. The last 2 months I was on it, my skin really cleared up. I had no problems afterwards with my skin. I mean, it wasn't perfect and I still had the occasional breakout, but nothing like before. Now, my skin seems to have gotten just a slight bit worse than the occasional breakout, but nothing is wrong with my body from taking accutane 10 years ago. It was one of the best things I did for my skin. biggrin.gif