Notifications
Clear all

Second round accutane - 22 year old male - weekly updates

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 05/01/2017 7:06 am

HEY everyone.

I'm planning on starting accutane for the second time as I have relapsed after a year off my first course. This may have been my fault as I often missed or skipped doses and didn't finish my last month of the medication.Im seeing my doctor tomorrow and hopefully I can get a referral and appointment with the dermatologist for next week

Current situation:

• mild but persistent inflamed acne
  • mainly small-medium sized white heads
  • I have around 8 active spots on my face (this is the worst it has been since coming off accutane

I logged my last course of accutane on the forums. My first course in a nutshell:

• started at 20mg/day then moved to 40mg/day for 4 months
  • Achieved total clearance by end of month 2
  • Had a terrible initial break out in the first 2 months
  • Side effects were not terrible, but the medication did make me feel a little sick at times

I had a few questions for those who had accutane a second time:

1. was the IB noticeably worse or better than the first course
  2. How were the side effects compared to the first course
  3. Did you achieve remissionafter the second course

Keep up with this post if you want to follow my journey. I will be updating it weekly.

Here is a link to my first course log. It was quite crappy because I totally forgot about it. I promise I will be better this time!

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 05/07/2017 7:50 am

Hey all an update.

I had my blood work done and I am just awaiting an appointment with my derm for thursday. Hopefully she will prescribe me with accutane.

Currently, my skin is slighty better, but far from good. I have been laying off on the BHA and it has some what improved my skin. Maybe I was over exfoliating? Currently I have 4 active white heads on my face (as compared to 8)

Will keep you guys updated on if I get accutane.

Also I am getting Vbeam next week. Anyone know if it is okay to start accutane a week before Vbeam?

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 05/16/2017 6:37 am

Day one started today.

A run down on the face:
- One jawline cyst and one medium white head on jawline
- 1 medium white head on left chin, and 1 under ground pimple on the left chin
- 1 small-medium white head on left cheeck
- various small bumps across chin that is a little inflamed (around 4-5)

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 05/19/2017 4:18 am

Day 4
Acne:
- Jawline cyst is a scab, white head cleared
- Cheeks clear
- Chin still has a few white aheads across it (1 medium size, rest small baby pimples)
- skin is still very much oily
- the nape of my neck is starting to break out - it has always been a problem area, but was clear prior to accutane

Side effects:
- head ache
- slight brain fog
- tiredness

I also had v-beam on my second day of accutane to reduce any previous scarring. I am expecting an IB soon, hopefully it isnt too bad

MemberMember
(@burgo)

Posted : 05/19/2017 5:47 am

Hey,please keep us updated,really interested how it will turn out.

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 05/20/2017 6:02 am

On 2017-5-19 at 8:47 PM, Burgo said:

Hey,please keep us updated,really interested how it will turn out.

Thanks! Will do.

Day 5:
Acne:
- skin is still very oily by the end of the day
- The IB seems to be starting. I am not getting any major inflamed white heads, but rather really rough skin texture (the feeling when your black heads are getting all pushed out to the surface)
- a few tiny clogged pores are getting slightly inflamed (not too noticeable)
- I put a dab of 2% BHA on my clogged pores to help it come out faster, not sure if it helps
- skin looks slightly red (potentially due to vbeam)

Overall, I have 0 medium sized active whiteheads on my skin (knock on wood), but skin texture is far from ideal

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 05/20/2017 10:21 pm

Question:

I have another vbeam session schedulded in 3 months. I will still be on accutane then, but the dermatologist doing the laser said it is safe, as the setting I use on the vbeam is quite low. Any thoughts?

MemberMember
(@nikki_gargin)

Posted : 05/21/2017 4:55 pm

18 hours ago, JDtane said:

Question:

I have another vbeam session schedulded in 3 months. I will still be on accutane then, but the dermatologist doing the laser said it is safe, as the setting I use on the vbeam is quite low. Any thoughts?

hey I looked into vbeam before and sometimes there can be some bruising so I don't know how safe it on Accutane? perhaps some of the marks will be gone anyways after you finish this course??? just something to think about.

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 05/23/2017 8:31 am

1 week Skin update:
- Im definitely having my IB
- 1 medium white head on my jawline
- lots of little inflamed bumps on my chin and cheeks (these are small white heads that resolve after a day or two)
- scalp has a few break outs as well
- skin texture feels very rough, I did an oil cleanse and massaged my skin - i had around 30-40 clogged pores just pop out and now my skin feels much smoother

Side effects:
- my lips, eyes and nostrils are starting to get dry, but my skin is still oily

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 05/25/2017 7:03 am

9 day Skin update:
- Still breaking out
- currently many small white heads on my chin and inner cheek area (around 5), but they are quite small so not too bad
- skin texture is smoother, but skin done is still very very uneven

Side effects
- skin is getting very dry and flakey

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 05/27/2017 12:25 am

11 day
my skin tone and texture looks terrible - very red and blotchy (might be due to vbeam recovery)

My actives are okay - currently 2 small white heads near the mouth - but quite a few red marks

EDIT day 12: 4 medium sized white heads just popped up - skin texture is so grainy. I can feel the black heads coming to the surface.

Hopefully the IB ends soon

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 05/29/2017 6:08 am

day 13 update

IB just got a whole lot worse. I now have around 6 active white heads on my face. With two really painful ones on the left side of my nose. UGH

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 06/01/2017 5:01 am

Day 16

Skin is absolutely awful. I have so many rough clogged pores being purged on the sides of my nose. They are sticking out and visible. Some of these pores are also becoming inflamed white heads.

I have around 5 small-medium white heads near my chin and a medium white head on my jawline.

My skin is also SO dry, the texture or colour are awful right now.

I hope this clears soon!

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 06/03/2017 6:35 am

day 18

The inital break out is really starting to get bad. I have a cyst on my left jaw. 4 medium sized white heads next to my nose. 5 medium - small white heads on my chin.

My black heads seem to be clearing up. My skin is dry, but the flakiness is slightly more manageable.

I currently have a 4 week study break from uni for exams. Hopefully I will be 100% clear by the end of it and I can enjoy my break.

Edit: skin is the worst it has been in a while. I think this is my true IB. I get around 2-4 medium white heads every day

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 06/09/2017 10:41 am

Day 24

My initial break out has calmed down a lot. The deep inflamed pimples have all dryed up and left a red mark. I still have a few clogged pores which are slightly inflamed.

Black heads are all falling out and my skin is a lot smoother. The dryness is a little better as well. Hopefully things get cleared up fully in 2-3 weeks. My derm increased my dose to 40mg/day

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 06/12/2017 5:00 am

Day 26

My angry big inflamed inital break out is over. But I am still not 100% clear, I have quite a few tiny tiny inflamed clogs (not really white heads, just a tiny red bump).

My theory is that the white heads come from big clogs which get inflammed very quickl as the accutane is trying to push the pore clean. While these tiny little clogs are already pretty much at the surface and the accutane is just forcing them out. These tiny little clogs last around 2-3 days max and leave behind no red mark.

I hope my skin will be fully clear soon

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 06/14/2017 1:33 am

Month 2 day 1:

All the tiny red inflamed clogs are pretty much gone now. Its crazy how just 2-3 days ago my 50% of my face was covered in them.

Currently, still breaking out mildly. I have 2 actives on my cheeks (small white head) and 2 underground actives on the chin and lip area. Although the bump looks quite small, it is white inflamed and painful to the touch.

Otherwise my face is doing better, I still have tiny clogged pores which havent purged out all the way and are still very slightly inflamed, but those should go away by the end of the week.

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 06/16/2017 12:30 pm

Month 2 Day 3:

My second more mild intial break out is still going on. I have one medium sized inflamed white head near my lip right now. The rest are all small slightly inflamed clogged pores that come and go quickly. However, my skin texture feels baby smooth right now!

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 06/23/2017 12:31 am

Month 2 Day 10:
My second intial break out is still going. Quite a few clogged pores and 1 medium-deep zit on my left cheek, quite painful.

MemberMember
(@zerec)

Posted : 06/25/2017 2:39 am

Read your post about Vbeam, I also had my Vbeam during Accutane phase, though mine is 20mg/day. So far, no adverse effect occurs, guess it is safe to do so.

MemberMember
(@jdtane)

Posted : 06/25/2017 4:27 am

Thanks Zerec, I will speak to my derm about it again! I think Vbeam is generally safe. I might drop to 20mg/day for 3 weeks before the session and stop taking the medication for a week before the session.

Month 2 Day 12:
Skin still has 1 medium inflamed active, it seems to be drying up. However, I still have quite a few tiny inflamed clogged pores.

The IB has been different to my first course, which consisted of MAJOR cysts all over the face. Now I'm only experiencing medium white heads, but very stubborn clogged pores. Hoping it clears by the end of the month at the latest.

MemberMember
(@artemis_aurora)

Posted : 07/16/2017 2:34 am

Good luck JDtane!!

I'm in a breakout stage too, here's hoping it start to clear soon!!

MemberMember
(@carlo2017)

Posted : 07/17/2017 4:05 pm

Being on Accutane myself I find that when you first start or have to alter the dosage you'll get breakouts for the duration of 1-3 months before seeing if it works. But it's not all the same for everyone, everyone is different and reacts differently to the treatment.