Notifications
Clear all

32 year old female

MemberMember
(@stressed123)

Posted : 04/12/2017 9:57 am

Hello
I am 32
been suffering from acne used to be mild since later 20's (around 27 I started) it was so minor when I look back now compared to now, I was put on minocycline a year ago it worked great I was clear I miss those days, my doctor then after 6 months put me on 50mg every other day I started to break out but nothing too crazy but I didn't like it so he put me back to 100 mg everyday in Oct, in Feb of this year my face got so bad even on my jawline I never had acne there, only on my cheeks, he put me on 200 mg Monday-wed-fri and 100 mg on tues-thurs-sat-sun, but nothing my face is the same and breaking out, I decided to go to a dermatologist shes a good one in Toronto, saw her today and it didn't go as well as expected =( apparently I have a type of acne which is hard to treat, I am mad at myself I didn't see a dermatologist a year ago and wish I had stopped minocycline after 6 months of use im so sad, depressed beyond stressed now, I hate being in public and leaving my home=( she told me to stop taking minocycline which I will stop I fear my face will get worse than what it is, she also said the best treatment for me is Photodynamic therapy I read reviews and there negative and positive, I am worried cuz not only it's expensive she said 3-6 treatments might be required that's almost 4 thousand dollars, I also fear the pain and redness and peeling, I can't deal with that I work in an office with clients I can't look and feel like that, so the downtime about it is making me not want to do it, I also worry I spend all this money and it doesn't work, comes back, I don't know what to do, im so worried, im going to a different dermatologist on April 27th second opinion, I don't want or can go on Accutane because I want to try for a baby soon im getting old so I can't wait too long, Anyone else in the same situation as me? what should I do? =(

MemberMember
(@tdotau)

Posted : 04/16/2017 6:06 pm

Have you checked out the photodynamic info page here on acne.org? It gives highly detailed information about effectiveness, what to expect, questions to ask your derm etc. People seem to have mixed results based on a whole bunch of different variables.

Personally, I'd steer clear based on the fact that the long term side effects of permanently shrinking your oil glands are unknown.

Did the derm mention what type of acne she thinks you have? You could ask your for less aggressive or inexpensive alternatives? Or seek out a second opinion.

MemberMember
(@stressed123)

Posted : 04/16/2017 10:33 pm

Hey! The photodynamic treatment scares me too much she said I have a type of acne that is very hard to treat I should have gone to see a derm when I first experienced acne in my late 20"s I was 28when I first started to get this crap I forgot the name she gave it tho however I won't do the photodynamic treatment being red suffering and peeling like an alien I can't do i can't take long periods of time off work either I am going to do blue light and peels she's a very high good derm in Toronto so I trust her I did umstart using her acne cream and her moisturizer in gel I have seen a slight improvement however my skin is super dry I had very red skin over the weekend now I am just peeling and skin feels tight but her stuff is very good compared to over the counter crap r stuff my dr prescribed me I will continue using it it's very expensive tho.but ifit works idon't care to spend I will start the peels and blue light next weekend I hope it will keep me clear and I go or one day this will just disappear I stopped taking minocycline last week tho I'm worried my skin will get worse but when I was on it my skin was horrible didn't do anything to help me I'm also starting a good antibiotic I purchased I hope it kinda helps me too I am praying and hopping for the best I jus think a be happyagain and not worry how my skin looks on A daily basis:(

Are you located in Toronto also ?

MemberMember
(@tdotau)

Posted : 04/17/2017 1:50 pm

I'm in Burlington, but I don't have a dermatologist. I probably should though. I've been treating my acne as hormonal for the last 3 years, but I'm beginning to think it's actually rosacea. To me, the main appeal of a dermatologist is that they can definitively tell you what type of acne you have. That way you can narrow down potential treatments and work towards determining what's causing it in the first place.

My skin is always better when I'm busy doing other stuff and. This along attention to it. The more I focus on it, the worse it is. Some people find the suggestion that their acne could be partially psychosomatic insulting, but their is emerging evidence that it adult acne in particular, can have psychosomatic factors [Edited link out]

On 4/17/2017 at 9:33 AM, stressed123 said:

Hey! The photodynamic treatment scares me too much she said I have a type of acne that is very hard to treat I should have gone to see a derm when I first experienced acne in my late 20"s I was 28when I first started to get this crap I forgot the name she gave it tho however I won't do the photodynamic treatment being red suffering and peeling like an alien I can't do i can't take long periods of time off work either I am going to do blue light and peels she's a very high good derm in Toronto so I trust her I did umstart using her acne cream and her moisturizer in gel I have seen a slight improvement however my skin is super dry I had very red skin over the weekend now I am just peeling and skin feels tight but her stuff is very good compared to over the counter crap r stuff my dr prescribed me I will continue using it it's very expensive tho.but ifit works idon't care to spend I will start the peels and blue light next weekend I hope it will keep me clear and I go or one day this will just disappear I stopped taking minocycline last week tho I'm worried my skin will get worse but when I was on it my skin was horrible didn't do anything to help me I'm also starting a good antibiotic I purchased I hope it kinda helps me too I am praying and hopping for the best I jus think a be happyagain and not worry how my skin looks on A daily basis:(

Are you located in Toronto also ?

I'm in Burlington, but I don't have a dermatologist. I probably should though. I've been treating my acne as hormonal for the last 3 years, but I'm beginning to think it's actually rosacea. To me, the main appeal of a dermatologist is that they can definitively tell you what type of acne you have. That way you can narrow down potential treatments and work towards determining what's causing it in the first place.

My skin is always better when I'm busy doing other stuff rather than focusing on my face all day. The more I seem tofocus on it, the worse it is. Some people find the suggestion that their acne could be partially psychosomatic insulting, but there is emerging evidence that adult acne in particular, can have psychosomatic factors [Edited link out]

Some days, I feel completely depressed about my face and don't want to leave the house, so I know how you feel. Just know you're not the only one!

MemberMember
(@stressed123)

Posted : 04/17/2017 6:33 pm

Yess I definitely agree with you the more u think about it the worse it is definitely makes u a bit nutty and I'm constantly staring in the mirror at home and at work it's horrible mines def hormonal too mixed with something else she gave me the name but I forgot but I will definitely ask when I go back in two weeks for a peel and blue light treatments to maintain my skin somewhat clear (I hope) it's comforting knowing u u mnderstand when I am coming from my friends all have great skin that I miss having so I don't really go out anymore only wit my husband which he is very supportive but I miss being wit my friends I hope but thank u or replying and listening to me vent lol appreciate it it helps to talk to someone else going through it also !